Need help!

Options
I know everything I need to do....but just can't stay focused and movitvated long enough to be successful! I beat myself up everyday when I feel as if I failed!

Replies

• Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You know you can do this, if you know everything there is to know and do , you probably have done this before, so you know you can do it again. It's ok to have bad days, Its ok to have days when you binge a big, as long as you keep yourself accountable.
    from your picture you look gorgeous, but I bet you can do even better, and you're gonna love yourself more for it. Don't forget why you are doing this , to look better, to be healthier, to be able to enjoy your family more. get up and get going and don't stop till you're completely satisfied with yourself.
    You can do this , you owe it to yourself and you awe it to your family .
    Take some pictures of your body and keep them close, every time you want to eat smth you shouldn't or don't feel like working our , have a peek . you know you can do it . So what are you waiting for ?!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Then get better organised and adopt a better mindset.

Mental prep and understanding about what yiu are trying to do and why, help you focus.
    Good organisation helps make the process easier.

Stop it with the fail and beating yourself up attitude as it obviously doesnt work for you. Try being kind and supportive to yourself. Clearly you dont understand everything you have to do because being friends with yourself on the journey is one of them.

Why not start off with baby steps and small victories that you can manage, then build momentumm until you are going at full speed. Part of your stragey has to have a plan b,c,d,e to deal with situations where you lose focus and are aimed helping you through.

Make the commitment along with what that entails and then it becomes a lot more straightforward.
  • erindunphy
    erindunphy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The biggest motivator for me was to think of weight loss as my new hobby! I immerse myself in MFP forums and blogs, pinterest and google searches for recipes, motivational quotes, before and afters and success stories. I bookmarked a few blogs to keep up on, and I basically just obsess about it lol In the past, as soon as I got bored with my routine I would let my old lifestyle take over, you need to find ways to keep things interesting! Buy a new workout outfit or pair of sneakers, try to cook something you've never made before (my next: zucchini pasta!)
    Sometimes it's hard to believe, but you are in complete control! This is your journey, enjoy it :D
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by feeling as though you've failed?
    If you can't stick to your calorie goal, perhaps it's too low!
    Do you restrict on your treats and then eat them after all? If this is the case-add in treats!
    However it is that you feel you've failed, there is a solution!
    Truly, there is no point whatsoever in beating yourself up!
    The better you treat yourself-the more successful you will be!
    Custom design your lifestyle the way you feel is best for your wants and needs.
    Are you trying to fit in a punishing workout that is difficult for you to stick with? Change it! Take a great walk everyday according to your time schedule. Or simply dance around your living room to your favorite music!
    Create a lifestyle that works for you and you will be halfway there!
    Be loving and kind to yourself! Treat yourself like a beloved child, friend, relative! Would you beat those loved ones up?

• AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We all know stress can cause weight gain, so beating yourself up won't help. But I do the same thing.

I hate this method myself, but it's the only thing that works for me, take it one day at a time. I was also told a few times that if you are avoiding something, try working on it for a five minute stretch at a time. Small steps lead to something big.

Best of luck, and feel free to add me for support!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    rschure wrote: »
    I know everything I need to do....but just can't stay focused and movitvated long enough to be successful! I beat myself up everyday when I feel as if I failed!

What you actually need to do is not beat yourself up every day.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mindset is indeed key...

My 7 year old daughter is a perfectionist. (I've know idea where she's gotten that from o:) )
    In school when she runs into something she doesn't think she's good at she opts to do nothing than to try and to fail. What we've been working on with her is seeing failures as opportunities for learning and for growth.

Why I mention this is because I used to have a similar expectation of being "perfect" at weight loss. Anything less than perfect was a failure. I learned a different kinder way of losing weight through a book called 'The Gabriel Method.' It's an easy read if you have the time/resources to take a read through it. The book that I'm reading at the moment to assist my 7 year old is called Mindset by Carol Dweck, also extremely helpful in changing how we look at things that are a challenge.

Best of luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It is commitment, not motivation that will see you through to your goal.

Commit to being a better you.

I hate exercise, I hate mornings.
    I found something to work as my go to exercise and always do it, and rotate with various classes to keep me interested the rest of the time. I never do anything before 5 pm, not because of work, but because I find I do better in the evening.

I don't like breakfast and lunch as much as I like dinner, so most of my calories are eaten in the evening.
    This is what I found works for me and I can commit to it because of that.

You know what to do etc. now just put it in a framework that you can work with.

Best of luck. Starting, I found, really was the hardest part.

Cheers, h.