Too Much Protein?

Options
I am just starting out on MyFitness Pal and I am noticing I am too high in my protein per day….is that not good?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's default macros (carbs/fat/protein), their protein goal is set fairly low anyway. Many of us think that you should actually be trying to get into the red on protein every day, anyway. As long as your calories are within the right range you can really set your macros however you want.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein number is actually too low and more protein is a good thing.
  • shortypcoco
    shortypcoco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to both of you!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Odds are it's low anyway- you have to go way out of your way to eat so much protein that it's going to mess up your internal organs- like hundreds of grams- most people don't realize you have to think about what you eat in order to get over 100- anything over 100 winds up being going out of your way (not bad- but you have to be purposeful in your consumption)

typically 1 gram per 0.8 pound of lean mass- some people say 1 pound per 0.8 of you're total mass.

Really anything over 100 grams is gravy.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The protein numbers from MFP are over the minimum required for most of us, but going over (unless it's that drastic) is not likely to cause any harm.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Their numbers are too low for protein, i wouldn't stress.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Protein numbers should change based on two things: weight and activity level. Unless you're vegetarian/vegan, it shouldn't take heaps of processed protein food to get your intake where it needs to be.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When you add exercise the protein requirement goes up, as it should. Your protein intake should be based on lean muscle weight, perhaps that's why many of you are saying MFP's goal is too low? Fiber and water are your friends.
  • cbigclarke
    Options
    You will poop any excess protein.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    cbigclarke wrote: »
    Wut?
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I never get enough protein no matter how much I try!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    cbigclarke wrote: »
    Wut?

mmmmmwut?