Anyone got any good Healthy Christmas ideas?

Options
I'm really not interested in including in the 4000 kal day , anyone got a good spin on a healthier Christmas dinner , snacks and treats.

Also i heard vodka is low in calories is that true?

Replies

• lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Hide in the closet with a bottle of vodka until after new years.... ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I generally don't find Christmas dinner to be particularly unhealthy...by and large it's the quantities consumed that "hurt".

We're having a ham, winter salad, "candied" carrots, pan roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, chipotle sweet potatoes, and mushroom risotto. I'll likely have a very small breakfast and enjoy my feast without eating to the point where I feel like I'm going to explode.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer carbs and sweet stuff. Focus on the meat and veg.

And healthy does not lead to weight loss if that's what you were thinking.

As for my plan for International Refeed Day, I'm going to eat everything. And then have seconds.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's a roast dinner

Turkey breast and vegetables ...what's the problem?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Here is a Christmas tree veggie tray:
    http://www.myspicesage.com/recipe/index/index/id/931

Here is a Christmas tree fruit tray:
    http://mamapapabubba.com/2013/12/13/a-christmas-tree-made-of-fruit/

Grinch kebabs and other non-junk holiday foods:
    http://www.cleanandscentsible.com/2013/11/healthy-christmas-food-ideas.html

Also, agree with above. Our Christmas dinner is usually roasted turkey, vegan mashed potatoes (I use onion broth instead of all that butter and cream for a fluffy and flavorful mash), roasted brussels sprouts, and sometimes dinner rolls. This year I'm also adding the veggie tree and grinch kebabs. So nothing super decadent except the rolls (which I can't eat) and the buche de noel for dessert but we cut it in tiny slices. Making just one rich side can help a dinner feel special without throwing the calories out of control.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    It's once a year. Enjoy. It's not what you eat from Thanksgiving to Christmas. It's what you eat from Christmas to Thanksgiving that really matters.
  • JoshuaTreeLily
    JoshuaTreeLily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lborsato1 wrote: »
    Hide in the closet with a bottle of vodka until after new years.... ;)

Hahaha. Sounds like a plan.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Get your exercise in, and enjoy a nice holiday dinner in moderation.

Remember it's a lifestyle change - not a sprint to some imaginary finish line, so you need to find ways to not just "get through" but still live life within this new lifestyle that you have chosen... Personally I think portion control is the key... now please excuse me, there is a 1/2 cup of eggnog calling my name. :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer carbs and sweet stuff. Focus on the meat and veg.

And healthy does not lead to weight loss if that's what you were thinking.

As for my plan for International Refeed Day, I'm going to eat everything. And then have seconds.
    'International Refeed Day' LOVE it!☺
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Watch your sweets and drinks, and you should be fine. :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    We're eating shrimp and vegetables. Ok...and maybe pie.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How is Christmas dinner unhealthy?

Ham is healthy.
    Turkey is healthy.
    Mashed potatoes are healthy.
    Sweet potatoes are healthy.
    Green bean casseroles are healthy.
    Green beans are healthy.
    Corn is healthy.
    Carrots are healthy.

It's not the food that's unhealthy, it's the portion people eat that makes it unhealthy.

Dessert should be consumed in moderation, although one day isn't going to kill you. I promise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My granddaughter asked for a repeat on the roasted sweet potato with cinnamon and honey.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-honey-butter-recipe.html
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    It's not what you eat from Thanksgiving to Christmas. It's what you eat from Christmas to Thanksgiving that really matters.

I like this!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How is Christmas dinner unhealthy?

Ham is healthy.
    Turkey is healthy.
    Mashed potatoes are healthy.
    Sweet potatoes are healthy.
    Green bean casseroles are healthy.
    Green beans are healthy.
    Corn is healthy.
    Carrots are healthy.

It's not the food that's unhealthy, it's the portion people eat that makes it unhealthy.

Dessert should be consumed in moderation, although one day isn't going to kill you. I promise.

Yep.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways to slim down the traditional fare. For example, the green beans? No need to add fried onion strings or bits of fattback or whatever...just steam some french green beans with garlic and chopped red bell peppers. Delicious and very low in calories.

Instead of sweet potato casserole with all the marshmallows, just mash sweet potatoes with a sane, reasonable amount of butter, some chopped chipotles and a little crumbled bacon. Or if you want to go lower-cal, use butternut squash and mash with a little nutmeg.

For dessert, try something with berries or poached pears that doesn't require a bunch of sugar. I just made a pear pie today with a small swirl of honey which ended up 180 cals a slice.

It's not hard if you put a little thought into it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I only have naughty, delicious ideas.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Vodka is better than egg nog fo sho :o
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    I tend to add more greens to my plate, more broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and stay clear of on the stuffing, didn't buy any this year anyway.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to fill half my plate with veggies first off, then the rest with protein (turkey, chicken etc). Then one small slice of dessert. I'm determined to make the three holiday dinners work in my favor../
    Strategy #1 - wings night with coworkers tonight. A pound of hot wings = 660 calories so in anticipation for such a big meal, I'm going to eat less during the day to compensate.
    Strategy #2 - Grandma Y dinner: Half veggies and the rest protein. One piece of dessert.
    Strategy #3 - Uncle dinner: Half veggies and the rest protein. One dessert and some fruit.