Steps Per Day

Options
Is there any way to log steps per day. It's one of the things I've been tracking.

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit. It does a great job. I have had mine since Feb 2013, and it is the best motivator that I have to get up and take more steps.
  • cheachea2
    cheachea2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would like to purchase a Fitbit but not quite sure that I'm going to get out of it what I need to. The website leads me to believe that it will track my calories Based off the wristband tracking my heart rate. Yet the salesman at sporting goods store told me that it does not track your heart rate nor does it your calories you have to input the data yourself into the app. Could you tell me which is true? I would like for it to track my calories based off of my daily activity level so I know how many calories I have burned.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Depends which fitbit you get. There is a new one coming that measures your heart rate called 'charge hr'. Search fitbit review on youtube and you can get a good run down of what the current models do.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The fitbit (and Jawbone, which I have) does NOT track your calories expended via HRM. It DOES guess how many calories you're burning based off of your activity, though. And both devices (Fitbit and Jawbone) sync to MFP and will adjust your calorie allowance (based on activity) if you have the accounts linked. My Jawbone updates my calorie allownace here on MFP nearly every day. :flowerforyou:
  • lothquendi
    lothquendi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it tracks your steps and activity level, not your heart rate. It adjusts my calories burned according to how much I've moved each day. I don't know how accurate it is, but I am motivated by the knowledge that I moved more the day before than today, ya know?
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One which is only a pedometer and does not track your HR. They do have a more expensive model that is also a HR monitor. It syncs to your iphone/android with bluetooth OR you have a USB dongle that allows it to sync with the app on your computer. It will automatically sync with MPF you just have to link your accounts. Continue logging exercise and foods on MFP and it will adjust your calorie/exercise burned automatically with the data from Fitbit when it syncs.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Currently it tracks your steps. It will give you calories burned but it is not related to your heart rate at all and I find it very inaccurate. You can track your food on the fitbit website or link it to your MyFitnesspal account so that you can see the difference between calorie intake and calorie burned. Personally all I really use it for is tracking steps. I also have friends that challenge me to get in as many steps as I can which helps with additional activity throughout the day. I do not use the calorie portion because I have found it to not be accurate and just delete the Fitbit calorie adjustments that are automated into my exercise tab.

I think they are coming out with a watch that will get heartrate from a chest strap which I may look into when it is out.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The not yet released FitBit (Surge) does track your heart rate, but the ones currently available do not.

I would not count/log your steps without a baseline to measure by.