Better for fat loss: Strength Training v. Cardio exercises

Options
I have heard that there is a strong debate about which of the two is better for fat loss. The issue is mostly that strength training is better with long term calorie burn, while cardio is better with calorie burn during exercise.

Others say that a combination of the two gets the best results.

So, which method is more effective for fat loss?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Strength Training helps maintain LBM.
    Cardio helps burn calories

I personally prefer to do both.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Strength Training helps maintain LBM.
    Cardio helps burn calories

I personally prefer to do both.

+1
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Whichever one encourages to get off your behind more often. ;)

Most fat loss won't come from the 5 hrs/week you spend in the gym anyway--rather, from what you're putting into your body the other 163hrs each week. Looking at the numbers involved in the question (5 vs. 163) really helps put things into perspective.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you'll get a billion different answers. and arguably none of them are "right" because what works for one person may not work for another- it has a lot to do with personal preference, what you can stick with long term, what your aesthetic goals are etc. For optimal health it is probably best to ensure that both your muscles and your heart are kept in good shape, ergo do both.

For example, if your goal is to look very jacked and muscular, you're not going to get there running marathons and you need to find a routine that will be tailored to your goals. Similarly, an older woman wanting to prevent osteoporosis may be told by a doctor that lifting will benefit her. Different goals require particular exercise regimes.

On the flip side, the ONLY way I can consistently lose weight is if I am in a strict distance running routine. The calorie burns and overall health benefits make me feel great and it is easier to stay in the habit. Lifting kind of bores me every time I try to get into it, so for strength I take a pilates class that leaves me completely sore the next day.

Other people have outstanding results from heavy lifting alone, or aerobics, or light lifting, etc etc etc. There are also plenty of naturally healthy-weighted people in the world who stick to no strict regime and are blessed with good genes and get a great body from their eating habits. Basically, despite what responses you may get there is no one right answer. Do some version of both and find what works for you.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    neither…

eat in a deficit…

I would say strength training for body recomp ..

cardio for cardiovascular health and for increased calorie burns..

however, you can do neither, eat in a calorie deficit, and lose fat.

/thread
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I keep hearing that there is a difference between the two. I mostly just do cardio, high intensity cardio at that. After losing a lot of weight and fat, I am stuck and the calorie deficit I have to do now to lose weight is very restrictive.

I was hoping that by trying a combination of weight training and cardio, I might burn more calories and increase my overall metabolism.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    davypr86 wrote: »
    I keep hearing that there is a difference between the two. I mostly just do cardio, high intensity cardio at that. After losing a lot of weight and fat, I am stuck and the calorie deficit I have to do now to lose weight is very restrictive.

I was hoping that by trying a combination of weight training and cardio, I might burn more calories and increase my overall metabolism.

I see your calorie goal is set at 1200. Please tell me you are eating more than 1200 calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    how many calories per day are you consuming? how long have you been dieting for?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Both as they have different benefits.

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - if you have been doing a lot of heavy cardio and eating 1200 calories a day then you need to reverse diet to maintenance and start lifting more to do a recomp…that is my .02...
  • davypr86
    Options
    I see your calorie goal is set at 1200. Please tell me you are eating more than 1200 calories.

Oh, yeah! It is much more. I haven´t logged for a while since I´ve lost a bit of motivation. I placed it at 1200 because I was trying, again, to do the T-25 5 day fast track.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh, yeah! It is much more. I haven´t logged for a while since I´ve lost a bit of motivation. I placed it at 1200 because I was trying, again, to do the T-25 5 day fast track.

How do you know it's much more if you aren't logging? Do you use a food scale?
  • davypr86
    Options

I don´t. Not for a few weeks.

Full disclosure.

I have kept up with the workouts, but the nutrition part has been weak. That happened because of many factors, among them that I got tired of being so restrictive with my calorie intake.

This is why I am asking about strength training, because I heard it is better at burning calories when resting and will allow me more flexibility.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I don´t. Not for a few weeks.

Full disclosure.

I have kept up with the workouts, but the nutrition part has been weak. That happened because of many factors, among them that I got tired of being so restrictive with my calorie intake.

This is why I am asking about strength training, because I heard it is better at burning calories when resting and will allow me more flexibility.

Strength training doesn't burn nearly as many calories as cardio. However, you said you've lost a lot of weight and from the looks of your picture, it doesn't look like you need to lose much more weight. If you are still unhappy with the way your body looks, you should shift your focus to lifting.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys! This topic was cleaned up a bit. Please remember that responses to a thread should be on-topic and polite.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    you need both a variety will work better that means cardio and strength training and not the same cardio routine vary it up too. Muscles get use to routine. You need to be eating more to retain muscle tone Eat to lose is not that far off in concept restricting too much can just leave you tired up your calories
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The cardio will burn more calories.

Cardio is not just good for helping you lose weight. It's good for your cardiovascular system.

Weight lifting isn't just good for building up your muscles. It's good for your bones.

Experts recommend doing both! But the cardio will burn more fat.