Eliptical Trainer Minutes and Calories arnt lining up?!?!

angelaplaxton
angelaplaxton Posts: 61
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I used the eliptical at my gym, and i had burned 319 minutes. but i did it for 29 minutes. but on MFP when i punched that in
they didn't line up.. any advice why?

and im going to a HIP HOP class at my gym for an hour, how do i record that in?

Replies

• Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    There is a dancing category (aerobic/ballet etc), I'd use that for Hip Hip
  • muskogee
    muskogee Posts: 11
    Best thing is to invest in a heart rate monitor.My life changed when I got one
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    If the elliptical has a heart rate monitor, I'd trust that more. If you know that calories from a different source, just add a new exercise and type in the calories.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    If I have two different amounts of calories burned for an exercise I just pick the lowest amount, to be safe. RunKeeper.com tells me I've burned 1200+ but mfp tells me around 600, so I go with that.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    The unfortunate thing is that if the elliptical has a heart rate monitor then it can pick up some one else's personal heart rate monitor. Go with the lowest # to be safe. I wore my heart rate monitor one day and the poor dude next to me burned the same calories as me because it had my heart rate displayed on it the whole time.....if your at home then no worries...but always take the lowest # if your eating back your calories...that's my 2 cents!
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    What I normally do is take away 10% of what the gym machines tell me and log that instead. For example, if the machine says you have burnt 200 calories, log just 180 as there has been various reports to suggest that gym machines are far from accurate in their calories burnt stats.
    Also, on MFP, it doesnt give you the option of putting in how hard you worked on the elliptical trainer. Everyone obviously works at different speeds and resistances. So this is another reason why the MFP database wont be accurate.

Its better to be safe than sorry. So log under what machines have told you youve burnt so you dont eat 'burnt' calories that you havent burnt!
This discussion has been closed.