Really hoping to meet some new like-minded friends here :)

Options
Good day everyone!
I'm taking a much needed break from a research project at work to start a "hello" topic and introduce myself :)

I'm a (soon to be) 40 year old male who grew up in Texas, but now lives in Des Moines, IA.
I'm learning that in order to properly meet my goals it is important to let others know just where I'm at and where I've come from so hopefully my honesty will be well met haha!

At the age of 38 in November of 2009, I learned that I had gotten to the unbelievable weight of roughly 389 pounds (that was the lowest weight I could make the doctor's scale read). I knew I was overweight and felt horrible most all of the time, but I honestly didn't see just how bad it was (I'd look in the mirror and see what I once was, not what I currently was). I had become dangerously obese. I had allowed it to completely alter my personality. I had become embarrassed to wear some types of clothes.
I was in a sinking ship and I had to change things. Not long after that I found out my (now ex)wife had been looking outside the marriage and was no longer interested in being in a marriage with a guy like me. In March of 2010 I began to change who I was as my life was changing around me (divorce, etc.) and officially began my weight loss plan.

Fast forward to just over 13 months later...
I'm an almost 40 year old guy with two incredible children and I'm 287 pounds. I've been at this weight now for almost 6 months. A lot has changed in the last 13 months, I'm single, I had to change jobs, I've moved, and I've had to learn how to start dating again lol.

When I first began I fasted for 3 days, then began eating in a more healthy way - mostly organic - and went from eating roughly 4,500 calories a day to eating roughly 1,800 calories a day. I also began a cardio program for 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
I still eat roughly 1,600 to 1,800 calories a day, but I'm sorry to say that about 8 months ago I stopped my workouts... I'm working on starting that back up and making that a new priority (any motivational help would be outstanding!!!).

I started reading 344pounds.com and as of today I've begun trying to make "Myfitnesspal" a daily part of my life...

I'm here to hopefully make friends that will help to motivate me, and who knows, if they live near me, maybe even workout together, etc..

I'm feeling unmotivated and a little like a failure even with a 102+ pound weight loss (to date)... My goal is roughly 185 so I am about half way to my goal...

Hopefully I haven't provided a TMI moment for too many people and that I will achieve my goals both for myself and for the site!

I look forward to hearing from the members here!
CJ

Replies

• MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sending you a request. :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I will add you for extra support/encouragement.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss...even with all the changes in your life.
    Time to look forward and stop looking past and to stop hating who you are.
    I am from Texas so we can't work out together, but I will encourage you....sending a request!
    Good luck on your journey....
    and post some pics!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck on your weight loss journey.. this is the place to be for support.. please feel free to add me.. I need all the help I can get !
  • Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on your journey so far! That is a ton of weight to lost already! I too am from the central Iowa area. Feel free to friend me!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone - And yay for the other Texan out there :) I grew up in D/FW lol and boy do I ever miss My home "town" :) (My home town is roughly 3 times the population of my entire state now lol)

I cannot begin to express just how motivational your responses have been to me!!! I've already modified my afternoon schedule to work out today lol - including running to the store for workout clothes so I don't go home and get demotivated first lol!!!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Attitude is definitely half the battle and you seem to have the right attitude. Good luck!
  • justnname
    justnname Posts: 162
    Options
    Welcome, I start MFP a few months ago it has been great support

There is a wonder group I found on here that is very supportive, check in out

Need to lose 100 lbs. or more? Lets start a group! - part 20
  • cjjones007
    Options
    Thanks all :)
    My attitude, like all people is better on some days than others, but honestly - as long as I can go to bed and not be ashamed of who I was as a person that day, but instead be proud? I might as well find happiness in that right? LOL
    Besides.. Just ask me... I'm flippin' awesome! :)
  • kellabella314
    Options
    Welcome! good luckk!! Request sent
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome, sent you a request!
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    You have def come to the right place! The support here is awesome and the best part NO JUDGMENT!
  • lrobs1986
    lrobs1986 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    welcome and congratulations on your weight loss. That is an amazing start! good luck and keep it up! this is an awesome place for support! =)
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Welcome to the fabulous world of MFP and congrats on the journey so far.. Not too far behind you on the age thingy either..

Good luck and it'll be good to follow the journey
  • rawky1986
    rawky1986 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far buddy! Glad to hear that things are turning around and hope you get back on the workout horse! Feel free to add me if you wanna!
  • rawky1986
    rawky1986 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far buddy! Glad to hear that things are turning around and hope you get back on the workout horse! Feel free to add me if you wanna!
  • TheKatzMeow77
    Options
    sent request ;-)
  • cjjones007
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone!
    I just finished my "day"...
    I have a workout facility in my office building. I went ahead and lifted some weights tonight. It wasn't huge - but it was something - even in my work clothes lol.

i do feel good about it though. I've worked out in some form or fashion for the 1st time in months, I've gotten a tanning session in (man I miss the Texas Sun lol), and I've had my healthy Salad with Albacore tuna for dinner lol.

I've already put work out clothes in the car for tomorrow.

Thanks again for everything and hope I can be as good of a motivation to all of you!