With less than 20 pounds to go

Options
I'm starting to get really nervous. I've lost 65.5 pounds as of this morning. This is my first time trying to diet or lose weight in my life. I keep reading all the failure rate statistics and they've gotten me so nervous. I think part of me feels like being successful so far has used up any "luck" I had - which (rationally) I know is ridiculous.

Here's my maintenance plan:

Continue counting calories
Shift focus from losing weight to strength
Refusing to fail

I know approximately what my (nutrition and calorie) goals need to be when I hit my goal. I know I need to continue to eat the way I have over the past 8 months. I know I can't revert back to my old habits.

Anything I'm missing? Any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing so much and your first attempt! In your post you listed everything I would even suggest on how to maintain. It's exciting that you want to start strength training. I love lifting because it has helped me burn more fat than camping out on cardio ever did. You're going to see more amazing results. I am not doing a good job at offering advice here....If you have a bad day or a few bad days, don't throw your hands up and say "I'm failing!" Just consider it a bad day/ days and get right back on that damn horse. You can't do it.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Congrats on the progress you've already made!

I think you're definitely on the right track.

Try not to think of maintaining as the finish line (as many do) but more of another phase of your new lifestyle. Your mindset during maintaining will be a key factor in beating the statistical odds.

Best of luck to you!
  • daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As the ladies above have said, it's just another chapter. After cutting weight for three years straight I found maintenance extremely easy and have never felt better. The pressure is off you, you can eat more/workout less. You WILL have a lot more energy. Hit your macros, hit your calories, lift heavy and enjoy yourself. Remember to enjoy "unfriendly" calories in your diet from time to time. After all, the day you switch to maintenance will be the first of many, cannot deny yourself every day for the rest of your life. If you go over one day just do a little more cardio or cut a few calories the next day. The hard part is getting to maintenance. Congrats on your progress, and good luck for the future.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Been maintaining for about three months and feel very similar to you. In addition to your first two strategies, I also weigh in every morning and graph my morning weigh-ins.

My next step is to get more accepting of the temporary increases that I'm bound to see in the future.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Have a range of weights that you feel confident in maintaining versus just a single weight (I'd suggest a range of 5 lb). That way you know that the daily fluctuations won't mess with your mind.

As you get closer to your maintenance, eat more. Pretty soon you should either set up MFP to a -1/2 lb a week or do a smaller deficit if you are doing the TDEE method. It'll take longer but it'll work better.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG woman!!! Rocking it! You've got this.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I think one of the best things is remembering why you lost weight in the first place. really identify the reasons, how is your life different now than it was before? maybe make a mood board of how great you feel now, so if you ever feel yourself slipping back into old ways, remember how good the good is, and how bad the bad was so you'll never want to go back there.
    Oh, and if you're starting to strength train, get the scales out the house!!!!! Your weight may go up, which makes some people feel like a failure and resort back to old ways. Change what you see as a victory as pictures and measurements, not a number on the scale.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat you are. I have 15 pounds to go but I have become complacent. I know what my problem is and how to fix it, I just don't have the willpower, currently, to fix it. Now don't get me wrong, I keep at the weight I am now, I just haven't had the desire to lose any more yet. I've lost 53 lbs over the last year and I look better than ever. I am no longer unhappy with my body and I think that is what's making me not really care about losing anymore anytime soon. I'm sure I'll get tot he point where the pant size I currently wear will upset me and then I'll get back into the grind of things, but for now, I shine in the glory I have achieved to get where I'm at and I don't sweat the higher days. Don't put pressure on yourself and be happy with how far you've come. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll reach your goal before you know it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I did switch my goal to .5 pounds a week yesterday, to get used to eating a bit more, so it wasn't overwhelming.

My whole reason for losing weight is to avoid diabetes (I'm insulin resistant already - well maybe not anymore), so that's been my main motivator.

I'm still losing and I'm still really focused, so I think those are good things.

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm feeling more confident today.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    you should have a weight range not just one goal number... your weight will fluctuate, especially if you're planning on introducing strength training to your regime.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea, too. I don't generally obsess over the scale number and I'm not even sure that my "goal weight" is the weight I'll stop at. It's just a number I picked in the healthy BMI range.

But yes, having a range is great advice that I hadn't considered before - thank you!