Multivitamin tablets

Options
Hi I would like to know what kind of multivitamin you guys take. I have never taken a multivitamin before and always start losing hair. I live in England if that helps and please tell me where can I buy it from

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Since you're losing hair you might want to talk to a doctor about which specific vitamin deficiencies you might have. It could be several. Perhaps start with a standard multivitamin until you can get an appointment (I use Centrum for Women). You could possibly try pre-natal vitamins too (lots of folate - good for hair and nails). Also, make sure your calorie deficit isn't too large. Extreme deficits can cause hair loss. You can buy them from pharmacies or grocery stores... or drug stores... they're easy to find.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There is probably a correlation between living in England and losing hair.

More seriously, if hair loss is a concern then see a real doctor and discuss your concerns and options. Getting info from web people about nutritional deficiencies is chancy at best.

Viewing your profile, chocolate is NOT fat. Cocoa butter is fat. Sugar is then added because chocolate is very bitter (try a teaspoon of baking cocoa.) IMO, enjoy chocolate once in a while. I would buy small pieces because if I purchased a half kilo bar, it would be gone in a day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you aren't getting enough protein you could lose hair. Vitamins won't help with that.

Get a blood test done to see if you have a particular deficiency. I'd check your iron, cholesterol, calcium, and folic acid. The iron and folic acid particularly women have to watch for deficiency.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I see your goal weight is 98LBs. Unless you're very very short, perhaps this is why you're losing hair?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I second what Sabine_Stroehm said. How tall are you? How many calories are you consuming each day?
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I second what Sabine_Stroehm said. How tall are you? How many calories are you consuming each day?

I am 5' tall and weigh 127 lbs
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sm_4ever17 wrote: »

You're at the high end of the healthy weight range for someone of your height. 98 lbs is at the low end of the healthy weight range for someone of your height. 110-115 lbs would be right in the middle of healthy.

Otherwise, if you don't like the way your body looks, start lifting.

ETA: What is your diet like? What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner? Snacks?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough dietary fat and protein. A multivitamin can't hurt, it helps fill gaps in your diet. I use the kirkland daily mutli that they sell at all Costco locations. It's USP verified and has got practically everything you need.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Her goal weight is within a healthy BMI range for her height.

I take a children's multivitamin, because grown up ones make me sick to my belly. The brand I use is Flintstones chewables. I've no idea if they are available there, but any multivitamin should be okay.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I take a children's multivitamin, because grown up ones make me sick to my belly. The brand I use is Flintstones chewables. I've no idea if they are available there, but any multivitamin should be okay.

BMI has been proven to be flawed, especially if one is athletic.

OP: I would go see your doctor to see if you have any specific vitamin deficiencies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You're pretty short. :)
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options

The grownup horse pill ones make me sick too. They have adult gummy vitamins that I really like.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I think vertically challenged is the PC term...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I think vertically challenged is the PC term...
    oh, sorry! :wink:
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    +1 on trying chewables or gummies while waiting to see your doctor.

The horse pill ones make me sick. Now they have brand here that does half-pills, you take two but they're smaller so you can take them at different times. Less irritating to the stomach. Don't know if they have them in the UK.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I take a chewable children's vitamin twice a day....the Walmart version. I am required to take one that contains IRON. Surprisingly it is hard to find a multi vitamin that has iron.
    In addition to that I take a vitamin C, a B12 sublingual and a vitamin D. My labs indicate this is working for me and gets me into the range I need to be in.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

BMI has been proven to be flawed, especially if one is athletic.

OP: I would go see your doctor to see if you have any specific vitamin deficiencies.

I do agree she should see a doctor. I don't think someone within a normal weight range needs to be lectured about her weight.