If I can do It anyone can!

Options

x2vvzr8aij0x.jpg
iw2bxdhl9zsq.jpg

Hello all,
My Name is Gary and I live in Louisville Ky. When I was born my kidneys were blocked and I ended up having a Kidney transplant Feb '91. I was lucky to have the most awesome Mother in the world that gave me a kidney and she was almost a perfect match, matching 5 out of 6 antigens. Anyone that knows anything about anti-rejections drugs such as prednisone knows that you blow up like a balloon. I ate anything and everything and I ended up topping out at 312.8 lbs. My wake-up call was when I went for my yearly check-up Jan 17, 2013 with my main transplant doctor, he looked at me and just shook his head and said " you are putting way to much strain on your kidney and you need to get rid of some weight". He went on to tell me I needed to lose at least 100lbs. Right then and there I decided I was going to do it and my motivation was: My Mom went though hell to give me a kidney and I need to take care of it. I told the doctor I'd get the weight off so I joined Planet Fitness Jan 16th, 2012 and started MFP under a previous account and bought a Body Media Link armband and hit the gym. I was determined and dedicated and had friends that started with me and slowly dropped out until it was just me going. I was on the elliptical every single day busting my butt and my next yearly doctors visit Jan 17th, 2013 I walked in weighing 187lbs. My Doctor couldn't believe it and said " you are a shadow of your former self and truly a motivation. He went out of the room, came back and brought other members of the team in to see me... I had lost a total of 126lbs in one year.

My goal weight is 175lbs and being at 187lbs maintaining as I was lifting and trying to get some muscle I was really close until Labor day (Sept 1st), I had an accident and broke both bones in my left wrist which required two surgeries consisting of a titanium plate and six screws to fix. I couldn't hardly stand to do anything, even walking on the treadmill jarred it to the point it was too painful to continue. I ended up getting out of the gym and gained some weight back and got back up to 225lbs. It healed along time ago but once you stop going to the gym you get out of rythem and lose interest. I had went from a 48" waist down to a 33-34" waist and now I can't get into those jeans anymore and I've had enough. I'm back in the gym again and back on MFP and been at it for about a week or so and I'm currently down to 218lbs. I have attached a before and after photo, my worst day and my best day. I hope that I can be some motivation to someone out there, you can do it! I'm still on the anti-rejection drugs and will always be and have that against me in my up-hill fight but I won't let it stop me, I'll continue to fight it. Please feel free to add me as a friend and if anyone has any questions I will be most happy to answer God- Bless

Replies

• TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    You look awesome! Congrats and great job! :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Glad you are here!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wow. You're a lucky man to have that "match". A smart man to make the best of it. Congratulations on both! Great transformation! You ROCK!
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    that is the way to do it congrats.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I understand the steroid problem. I have undifferentiated connective tissue disease and sometimes have to be on them. Congrats on getting back on track
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done lad :smile:

It's hard when damaged. A broken wrist swelled too much to exercise, and before that a broken leg that I made worse by trying to keep going took its toll. But! We will get there :smile:
  • p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What a transformation!!great job and well done you on all your hard work
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story - thank you for sharing and keep up the amazing work :smile:
  • gbenn70
    Options
    thank you all for the support, I screwed up a couple dates I said 2013 for my yearly and it was 2012. and the date i joined the gym was two days after which was Jan 19th 2012. I apologize, i was getting tired :)
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, it's been a long journey for you, but you've got this! You're 90% there already. Now you're back on track with your exercise - might I suggest signing yourself up for a gym pact with the Pact App? - and you're watching your food again with MFP everything should fall into place. xx
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting back to losing before it gets worse. You did it before remember how good it felt to have the weight off of you. Just knowing I'm trying and losing weight makes me feel good , when I was heavier I felt bad about my weight all the time, it was something that was always there.
  • gbenn70
    Options
    Thank you, it made me feel alot better when people told me I was really looking good. It kinda erked me when people want to know how I lost the weight, so I'd tell them and they don't want to hear diet and exercise, they all want to know what you're taking like a magic pill.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story Gary! very inspiring!!
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being an inspiration to us all. Well done !
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great job, wonderful story. Was your mom's surgery laproscopic or traditional donor surgery?
  • Happinessity3
    Happinessity3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No magic pill.... because there isn't one! Right on!!! You look great. :smile:
  • gbenn70
    Options
    It was traditional where they had to remove the extra rib that women have, this was 1991 and medicine has advanced along way today. My Mom has done well, University of Kentucky has one of the best kidney programs in the country if not the best. When i would sit in the waiting room I'd hear people coming to UK from all over the country.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Good work :D
  • MissyINGa
    MissyINGa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job and a wonderful story! My son is a kidney transplant recipient also. He's only 11 years old but I understand your struggle. His meds make him very tired and his energy is low. Not sure if they have that effect on you but kudos to you! You look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!