Going Gluten-Free

Options
So, I found out that I have a gluten intolerance. I'm pretty bummed but my doctor wants me to eliminate it from my diet obviously. Anyone on here can provide me with some insight that can help me make this change? Favorite gluten free recipes and snacks? Thank you all so much and Happy Holidays!!!!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Intolerance? how did your Dr. come to that conclusion? It appears that some of the leading PhD's in gastroenterology that specialize in GI say it doesn't exist, so I'm curious as to how your Dr. came to that conclusion.
  • I have gluten tolerance issues. If I eat gluten daily I have serious constipation and gas problems. Not crohns disease or anything serious. But I talked to my friend who has it and she asked her GI doctor and he stated that some people cannot digest gluten well. Which can cause either leakage or stoppage haha!
    Going gluten free was the best thing I've ever done. (when I stay on track. fell off recently and i can tell!).
    My skin is better, sleep is better, less headaches, lost weight, and was *warning tmi* pooping daily! and let me tell you- if you ever go 4 days without, being able to poo daily is a beautiful thing!
    There are a ton of great recipes and ways to go around gluten. without feeling like you don't get to eat yummy foods.
    I'd stop by barnes and noble. They have gluten free recipe magazines. Pinterest has a ton of stuff. THere are a lot of recipe books out there.
    Just a warning - items that are gluten free that are made to imitate such as bread, crakers etc. They are higher in carbs because they are made from rice starches. so just be mindful. it can cause a gain in weight if you just replace. I just try and live without. and after the first 2 weeks- its easy!
    FEel free to add/message me! I'll send you lots of goodies I've found :)
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Happy Holidays to you as well. I have not been to the doctor, but I have noticed that many of the gluten free foods are very tasty, as opposed to the alternative. Downside is many of them do not stay as fresh as long. But that's because they are not full of additives. Find a health food store and browse. Then go to the grocery store, I have found many of the same there. They just do not take up as much space on the shelf, so keep looking. I go to 3 different grocery stores and 2 health food stores, and the farmers market. Good luck!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of recipes out there nowadays because gluten free eating has become very popular. For simplicity sake, if you google paleo recipes they are typically gluten free and there are TONS of resources out there- blogs, books, etc of paleo resipes that are pretty tasty. Paleo usually does not include dairy so if you still want to eat dairy then supplement paleo recipes with some cheese or a glass of milk or a greek yogurt, etc.

You'll probably find a ton of blogs about eating gluten free just with a quick google search!

Note: A lot of people will latch on to this thread and try to tell you there is no such thing as gluten intolerance, and it is true that some studies now suggest there isn't. However, I am a big believer in eating whatever way makes you feel good. So if for WHATEVER reason going gluten free helps you, just go with it. It is no one else's decision what to put in your body but your own, and as long as you are getting enough fiber from other sources (veggies!) there isn't much of a downside to going gluten free.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Note: A lot of people will latch on to this thread and try to tell you there is no such thing as gluten intolerance, and it is true that some studies now suggest there isn't. However, I am a big believer in eating whatever way makes you feel good. So if for WHATEVER reason going gluten free helps you, just go with it. It is no one else's decision what to put in your body but your own, and as long as you are getting enough fiber from other sources (veggies!) there isn't much of a downside to going gluten free.

If adding to chronic daily stress isn't unhealthy, then I'm not sure what is anymore.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have celiac and have been gluten free for the past two and a half years. I just make regular stuff, no gluten. The gf spaghetti (I get Barilla) is really good. I've had gf bread once and it was surprisingly good. I was never a sandwich eater, so I don't but it. Cooking is easy because you can control what you put in your food...restaurants can be tricky.

One of my favorite websites is http://elanaspantry.com/
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

If adding to chronic daily stress isn't unhealthy, then I'm not sure what is anymore.

How is that adding to chronic daily stress? I'd think it'd be more stressful to always feel sick and icky than to try and figure out what's wrong and fix it.

ETA: I'm not gluten free but I don't eat bread and pasta. It's not that big of a deal to cut it out of ones diet, especially if they didn't eat it every day any way.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Intolerance? how did your Dr. come to that conclusion? It appears that some of the leading PhD's in gastroenterology that specialize in GI say it doesn't exist, so I'm curious as to how your Dr. came to that conclusion.

Neanderthing is right. I recently read a nutrition article saying the issue is not Gluten. It's the chemicals applied to grain crops prior to harvest to boost yield <Insert rants against Monsanto here>.

Before going Gluten Free, I would try organic breads & grains. Check your local health food stores, as some grocery store chains apply if-y standards to what they call organic. There is a good chance this will cause your symptoms to disappear.

Also, I found taking Probiotics significantly reduced my stomach problems.

BTW, I'm not a health food nut. I have Irratible Bowel Syndrome, which is a waste can diagnosis meaning, "We don't know what's wrong with you. Here's your bill." I finally started trying things on my own & found Priobiotics and chemical free grains made a significant difference.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    So, I found out that I have a gluten intolerance. I'm pretty bummed but my doctor wants me to eliminate it from my diet obviously. Anyone on here can provide me with some insight that can help me make this change? Favorite gluten free recipes and snacks? Thank you all so much and Happy Holidays!!!!

Beware of hidden gluten in things. Additives like caramel coloring contain gluten and there are other additives that have hidden gluten. A quick google search can give you a list of some of the hidden gluten. Also when you go out you'll need to make sure they prepare your meals differently than they do everyone else. For example if you get fries you need to ask if they are fried in the same grease that they fry breaded stuff in. My sister has celiacs and it's a PITA for her to go out to eat some times.
  • goddessofawesome
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Double post
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    grassfedgirl.com , thepaleomom.com , gutsybynature.com , autoimmune-paleo.com

These are some of my favorites. My reason for gluten-free is autoimmune related so these are all Paleo blogs and the last is AIP. I feel better and sleep better without gluten. Feed your body what helps you feel better. Research and read; there are TONS of resources on the web.
  • neanderthin
    Options

How is that adding to chronic daily stress? I'd think it'd be more stressful to always feel sick and icky than to try and figure out what's wrong and fix it.
    Maybe you should try and go gluten free for a month, and really gluten free which most don't really understand, then come back and let us know how that went, then extrapolate that over a lifetime. And I'm not talking about people with actual diagnosed Celiac disease, sorry to them if I'm somehow coming across that Celiac isn't serious, it is.

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for over 10 years. (No, I don't have Celiac disease, but yes it does activate my very uncomfortable autoimmune symptoms). Here are my favorite tips:

1) Most recipes for baking that use regular all-purpose flour can be made successfully with a 1:1 substitution of the following flour blend: 1 part rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour (plus a couple tsp xanthan or guar gum). Or there are plenty of GF blends found at the store that can work well, too.

Also, most foods can be thickened with rice flour or cornstarch (like soups, sauces, etc).

2) Check local Asian markets for inexpensive rice/tapioca flours and rice noodles.

3) I love crepes for breakfast: 1 cup tapioca starch, 1 egg, 1 cup milk (I use coconut because I can't have dairy either). Sometimes I'll add some chia seeds. Then cook as you would usual crepes.

4) If you don't want to splurge on gluten free bread, most sandwiches can be made open-face on a rice cake. Or, forget the bread entirely and make lettuce wraps and bento meals instead.

5) My best GF advice is to find work-arounds that avoid using gluten-free substitutes as they do tend to be higher in calories and lower in nutrients. For instance, spaghetti squash or zucchini instead of noodles, eggs for breakfast instead of cereal (I love cooking eggs omelete style and rolling them up with a slice of turkey inside for a quick grab-n-go breakfast), Bento lunches (a protein, some veggies, some fruits, maybe a quinoa salad) instead of sandwiches.

Best wishes for a happier tummy! Feel free to message me if I can help you with any other questions.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease 3 years ago, so we made a lot of changes as a family. While we didn't all go gluten free, I changed my recipes & preparation of food significantly. The easiest way to start is staying away from processed foods--in the beginning, it was eye opening to find out how many things you wouldn't expect have wheat/gluten in them (soups, especially broths, barbecue sauce, twizzlers!!). Learn to read labels. Keeping with meats, fruits, vegetables (fresh, frozen, canned, just not in sauces that may not be safe!!), potatoes, rice to begin with is best.

As above: "Just a warning - items that are gluten free that are made to imitate such as bread, crakers etc. They are higher in carbs because they are made from rice starches. so just be mindful. it can cause a gain in weight if you just replace."

If you do want breads & crackers, you'll have to taste test several of them, AND they are pretty expensive. We settled (for her) on Udi's & Rudi's for bread, also schar rolls & bread crumbs. Glutino makes pretty good pretzels & cereal bars. Lara bars, Kind bars for quick snacks. Some of the pastas are pretty good, & now ronzoni & barilla make them too.

Other thing to watch out for is cross contamination, although it may not be as bad for you as it is for her, since she actually has the auto immune disease. Any "common" ingredient -- ie tub margerine, peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc -- we label with a clored sticker to indicate that the knife, spoon, etc can only go in once before touching bread. If you need more, use a clean utensil to prevent getting crumbs in the jar. This is also an issue in restaurants, as it does not help to use gluten free ingredients if you cook it on the same grill, pan, etc as the gluten containing item.

If you can, see a dietician, especially if you can find one that truly understands the problem. They can provide you with some initial guidance
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You may have a wheat intolerance (these do get mixed up sometimes). There's nothing wrong with cutting gluten (it does not make your diet any less healthy).

However don't get sucked into buying the gluten free junk food you find on the shelves.

At least by law most wheat products have to be fortified with vitamins, whereas the alternative flours and alike which are used in the gluten free products do not, so if you eat these frequently as a (supposed) healthy alternative you can actually become deficient in certain micro nutrients.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

Maybe you should try and go gluten free for a month, and really gluten free which most don't really understand, then come back and let us know how that went, then extrapolate that over a lifetime. And I'm not talking about people with actual diagnosed Celiac disease, sorry to them if I'm somehow coming across that Celiac isn't serious, it is.

Since my sister has celiacs I completely understand what it means to be truly gluten free. I'm pretty much the first one to point out to those people who are toying with going gluten free the fact that they have to read labels and be careful when they eat out and ask how food is prepared etc.

If I decided to go gluten free she'd be more than happy to help me find the foods that she eats. As it is now I read labels and look for the hidden gluten in items that I buy.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Also, there is a learning curve for a little while getting used to the mindset of substitution, but honestly, once it becomes a habit, being gluten free isn't any more stressful than counting calories, avoiding binge eating or any other conscious eating lifestyle. It can make eating away from home a little more complicated, but you learn pretty quickly what meals to eat where just like you'd learn which restaurants have low-cal meals. If you're menu-planning anyway, you just remember to swap this for that. So please don't let people telling you that gluten free is a stressful lifestyle so you shouldn't even bother deter you from giving it a try if it might make you feel better. Honestly I find tracking macros more complicated than eating gluten free -it's just a matter of developing habit. Good luck!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Your friend will be corn. Most gluten-free products are expensive and nasty. I try to just avoid it all together. In addition, in an attempt to make them taste good they add sugar and fat. I have found reasonably good pasta by Mueller's and De Boles. I do sandwiches with corn tortillas and eat a lot of salads now. There is a book the Gluten-free Bible which was quite helpful, got it at Barnes and Noble. I am sure the jury is still out on what is going on with this, but if it makes you feels better to avoid, then you should. Sorry I can't be more help.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Most people try to eat foods that imitate gluten products, like gluten free bread. I recommend instead choosing foods that are naturally gluten free. A lot of Asian food is easily accessible. Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Indian food all offer a huge variety of foods without any gluten.Also a lot of Latin foods. Paella doesn't have gluten and there's a ton of different ways to make it.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Most people try to eat foods that imitate gluten products, like gluten free bread. I recommend instead choosing foods that are naturally gluten free. A lot of Asian food is easily accessible. Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Indian food all offer a huge variety of foods without any gluten.Also a lot of Latin foods. Paella doesn't have gluten and there's a ton of different ways to make it.
    Just watch out for soy sauce!!! Most have wheat & soy, not just soy. Not sure if La Choy is safe, but my daughter won't eat it just in case, we use tamari or GFree versions. Also, sushi made w/ imitation seafood often has wheat gluten in it.