Free Food in the Office

Options
TopazCutie
TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
edited December 2014 in Success Stories
This morning the office kitchen was carb central: bagels, muffins and sugary donuts galore... all for us! In past years I would be all over that lol I think I got like 4 bagels/donuts last year! But now, knowing the macro's (carbs) and calorie counts, and how it will affect my numbers here on MFP, I just went with coffee (a black one.. no cream or sugar lol). I don't crave/miss it either. I can't believe I'm finally back on track!! I brought my own food today because I knew that I might be tempted, but I wasn't phased in the least (I brought greek yogurt with granola and all bran on top all weighed out, fresh fruits)

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    YES! This has been going on here too, tons and tons of cookies, cakes and chocolates and honestly they just hold no appeal at all. I will admit I do check them out and if there was something that truly appealed to me I might have it but I'm also not disappointed when I see nothing if anything it kind of boosts my spirits as I walk away with coffee or tea in hand.

Something to remember is just because food is "free" doesn't mean it's a "free for all".
  • sccjammin
    sccjammin Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I was the same way last Friday. My company bought donuts for breakfast and pizza for lunch and I did not touch them. I ate what I brought. Feels good!!!
  • TopazCutie
    Options
    Sweet! Glad others are sharing the same experiences. Bringing your own food definitely helps.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have a "I don't eat any free food at the office" policy for the month of December. It's going so well that I think I'll extend the policy forever. EVERYDAY cookies, pies, cakes, candy, boxes of chocolates, etc. It's madness.
  • brittanyoneill37
    brittanyoneill37 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's a tin of celebrations in my office I can't help stealing one every now and again lol x
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    First world problems! :smiley: I'd just eat some of the stuff. Maybe 2 doughnuts. Would eat less for dinner later on.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    TopazCutie wrote: »
    This morning the office kitchen was carb central: bagels, muffins and sugary donuts galore... all for us! In past years I would be all over that lol I think I got like 4 bagels/donuts last year! But now, knowing the macro's (carbs, sugar) and calorie counts, and how it will affect my numbers here on MFP, I just went with coffee (a black one.. no cream or sugar lol). I don't crave/miss it either. I can't believe I'm finally back on track!! I brought my own food today because I knew that I might be tempted, but I wasn't phased in the least (I brought greek yogurt with granola and all bran on top all weighed out, fresh fruits)

I know you're new, so I thought I'd clarify. Macro's are: protein, carbs and fat. Sugar = carbs. Protein, carbs and fat make up calories (1g protein = 4 calories, 1g of carbs = 4 calories and 1g of fat = 9 calories). I just wanted to make sure you understood.

Anyway, I'd totally have a bagel and eat less later. I love bagels. I'm glad you found something that works for you.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I used to work in an office and they would have bagels and donuts every Friday. It was a rare occasion that I partook and had a bagel, usually if I didn't pack my breakfast or I was just carbo-craving. I just don't like the way I feel after eating that stuff.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    I've adopted the rule that if I can't track it, I try not to eat it. I've never been one to just gorge myself on office foods so for the most part I haven't really changed anything. I will pass unless it's something I absolutely love. I don't think there's anything wrong with treating yourself every now and then as long as it's not an everyday pig out session.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I already know we're having pizza and sodas at work tomorrow so I'm skipping breakfast to fit that into my day, then I'll even things out at Supper and with snacks. No biggie.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    I try to imagine that the person who brought in the food has several cats walking around the food shedding hair on it. Or that they haven't washed their hands for several days. It grosses me out so much that I just walk away lol.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    We get catered lunch a few times a month here. I tote my food scale to work every day anyway, so I can eat the food I want in moderation. :)
  • TopazCutie
    Options
    This morning the office kitchen was carb central: bagels, muffins and sugary donuts galore... all for us! In past years I would be all over that lol I think I got like 4 bagels/donuts last year! But now, knowing the macro's (carbs, sugar) and calorie counts, and how it will affect my numbers here on MFP, I just went with coffee (a black one.. no cream or sugar lol). I don't crave/miss it either. I can't believe I'm finally back on track!! I brought my own food today because I knew that I might be tempted, but I wasn't phased in the least (I brought greek yogurt with granola and all bran on top all weighed out, fresh fruits)

I know you're new, so I thought I'd clarify. Macro's are: protein, carbs and fat. Sugar = carbs. Protein, carbs and fat make up calories (1g protein = 4 calories, 1g of carbs = 4 calories and 1g of fat = 9 calories). I just wanted to make sure you understood.

Anyway, I'd totally have a bagel and eat less later. I love bagels. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Actually I've been a member for years lol. That clarification wasn't necessary but thanks for being glad for me :)
  • TopazCutie
    Options
    I try to imagine that the person who brought in the food has several cats walking around the food shedding hair on it. Or that they haven't washed their hands for several days. It grosses me out so much that I just walk away lol.

LOL!!! Good one!
  • TopazCutie
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's pretty evident you love bagels. I used to love them too but then stopped eating them for a while and don't miss them (or their repercussions) at all. For me they just make me eat more during the day for some reason.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I've adopted the rule that if I can't track it, I try not to eat it. I've never been one to just gorge myself on office foods so for the most part I haven't really changed anything. I will pass unless it's something I absolutely love. I don't think there's anything wrong with treating yourself every now and then as long as it's not an everyday pig out session.
    I like this. If I can't weigh it (bagels, cream cheese) or don't absolutely looove it & can't get it any other time (ie, packaged cookies, much prefer homemade!) I've been avoiding it. I was out the other day @ a gathering, & had one of those crescent/nut cookies (not sure what they're called, but they're nuts, butter & powdered sugar, basically) because I love them & don't make them myself. Otherwise, I just skipped the other stuff. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day & the following weekend @ my cousin's, I plan on enjoying the treats, without stressing. I think that's helped me more this time around, knowing 1 day won't kill me, & that I can eat a little lighter the days around it to help offset.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Actually I've been a member for years lol. That clarification wasn't necessary but thanks for being glad for me :)

Considering that you called sugar a macro, I think this was a helpful post. Mostly because it's not all about you - we have lurkers here who are learning.
  • TopazCutie
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Considering that you called sugar a macro, I think this was a helpful post. Mostly because it's not all about you - we have lurkers here who are learning.

Cool I edited the OP.
  • blainebrain
    blainebrain Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Love that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!