Dropping calories gradually?

Options
Hello,
I have had trouble in the past with calories and diets, from anorexia at 15 to 18 years old I am now verging on a heavy weight which I am not one bit comfortable with! I was going to start on 1600 calories then drop to 1400 if I am not losing weight. I lost weight on 1800 calories before - around 2 pounds a week. I am almost 5'4' and 61.5kg (which is way to heavy for me, I was 57kg last month and Christmas munchies hasn't helped m weight loss lol) I was 50kg before and would like to get down to 50-52kg, I don't care if it takes a year to do so, I want to do it healthy this time.
Good luck with your goals everyone.

Replies

• starsministry
    Options
    I am 5'2 and have the same issues. i want to do it healthy this time too. i am on a 1200 low carb, i started again about a week ago trying to get back on track with working out Mon thur Sat before work. i did good back in Sept for two months consistent and i felt and looked fabulous! but then i got sick nd that killed my vibe, but on back on board! We have to keep in mind progress not perfection! My faith tells me God's mercies are new every morning....Good luck in the New Chapter of our life...

• rachellll98
    Options
    I can't tell you what you should do because I am not a doctor. But I think if I could lose 2 lb/week on 1800 calories, I would find it would be easiest to eat about 2300 calories a day and lose 1 lb/week... Or even 2550 and lose .5 lb/week (especially if I was not in a hurry).

Also if you have had difficulties in the past it might make the most sense to go and talk to a doctor before you get started to make sure everything is okay.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Use the website the way it is designed - log appropriately and don't try to "fix" your weight overnight. Learn to eat for the weight you want to be.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello,
    I have had trouble in the past with calories and diets, from anorexia at 15 to 18 years old I am now verging on a heavy weight which I am not one bit comfortable with! I was going to start on 1600 calories then drop to 1400 if I am not losing weight. I lost weight on 1800 calories before - around 2 pounds a week. I am almost 5'4' and 61.5kg (which is way to heavy for me, I was 57kg last month and Christmas munchies hasn't helped m weight loss lol) I was 50kg before and would like to get down to 50-52kg, I don't care if it takes a year to do so, I want to do it healthy this time.
    Good luck with your goals everyone.

Considering your past, I wouldn't suggest dropping calories more or it could potentially cause you to spiral back. If you are losing at 1800 calories, I would keep it there or bump it up since you aren't that overweight.

What do you do for exercise?
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    im 5'4" started at 255lbs i ate around 1800/day on average and was able to lose consistently.
    however when i did drop to 1300-1500/day on average i did notice i lost more that week.

but i think the 1600-1800 is more realistic to stick with it without feeling deprived. i was still able to have a little 200 calorie dessert after dinner which i like. when i was doing 1300-1500 it was really difficult to squeeze that stuff in.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    sometimes what i do to is i find its easier to eat at a lower calorie during the week. so i do that and then assume i will eat at a higher calorie range on the weekend.
    so I'm usually M-Th 1300/day. F-Su 1800/day. slower weightloss but it makes it more manageable i think. its all gotta go anyways!! the time goes by fast!
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Exercise is 3-4 days a week treadmill and it is intense for around 30-40mins.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should visit your doctor and get a referral to a dietitian and a therapist. Get them to work with you through your weight loss journey.

Be aware of your triggers. If you start enjoying that empty feeling, eat something immediately. Don't skip meals. You have to keep an eye out for triggers so that they don't sneak up on you and trigger you without you knowing. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Exercise is 3-4 days a week treadmill and it is intense for around 30-40mins.

Have you considered adding in some resistance/weight training? That will help with maintaining your muscle mass and will generally provide much better results in terms of looks/body composition.