Trying to maintain goals while having a sedentary job?

Options
marysamezz
marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone!

So I started taking my health and fitness really seriously about two months ago. Just about the same time that I gained my first job out of college, but it's sedentary. Most of my work is on the computer, they have ergo desks so you can stand and work at the same time but it still feels like when I'm doing computer work all day all I think about is FOOD.
I maintain a fitness schedule of cardio/strength 5x/week, and I try to always eat 300-400 cal below my TDEE. I have slowly (very slowly) been losing weight but I feel like it's difficult where I have a job where I can sit and eat all day.

Does any one have any tips for curb snacking all day at a desk job? I feel like it's slowing down my goals!

Thanks,

Marysa

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just because you have the opportunity to 'sit and eat all day' doesnt mean you have to... i have an office job, its made no difference to my weight loss or fitness routine.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm at my desk almost all day as well and for me it's as simple as bringing my own lunch and calculating what I bring before hand. I can't snack on food that isn't there. Also drink a but load of water. You should be sipping on water all day long.

If you have an hour lunch break go for a 30 minute walk as well. It will give you energy and burn some extra calories.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to high protein snacks to feel fuller.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Regardless how much you move you will lose at the same rate eating 400 cals below TDEE, the difference is your TDEE will be larger so you will eat more to lose the same amount.
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Marysa... I am a product manager so I am pretty much chained to my desk on conference calls, working on presentations, doing research, etc... so I know the feelings you have about eating. The thing that has helped me the most is making sure I stay hydrated. I make sure I drink at least 20 ounces or water between meals and snacks. I find that drinking water helps decrease the hunger that I am feeling (or imagining). I never realized how little water I was drinking until I started religiously completing my food diary.

Good luck with your new job! All the best!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I keep my drawer in my office full of healthy snacks and have claimed a drawer in the fridge as well. That way I don't eat out during the week. I also get up and walk the office at least hourly. There are lots of body weight stuff you can do at your desk throughout the day. I also have the luxury of a door and blinds, so I can close the door at lunch and do some yoga. I even brought a mat to live in the office. You want it bad enough, you make it work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    <- sedentary day job.
    I am impressed with the workout schedule that you are maintaining; more than I am. I've decided I am snacking too much at work too so today I brought gum. I'll see if that helps. I also get through a water bottle in a day, too.
    • Get a step counter and start tracking your steps. I use a Fitbit Zip. That's the lesson from MFP, isn't it, that the act of tracking can modify our behavior.
    • Pick the printer/photocopier at the far end of the building.
    • Take advantage of stairs wherever you can.
    • Park farther from the building.
    • I use any excuse to get up and moving, visiting people in their offices where I can.

Desk+Stretches.jpg
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk at lunch?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm at my desk almost all day as well and for me it's as simple as bringing my own lunch and calculating what I bring before hand. I can't snack on food that isn't there. Also drink a but load of water. You should be sipping on water all day long.

If you have an hour lunch break go for a 30 minute walk as well. It will give you energy and burn some extra calories.

^^ This... I'm in the same sedentary boat, but I've found that planning out my food for the day and working in sensible / satiating snacks and drinking water helps to curb the 'mindless snacking' that used to be my norm. It'll take a little effort at first, but it will soon become second nature.

Good luck!
  • marysamezz
    Options
    just because you have the opportunity to 'sit and eat all day' doesnt mean you have to... i have an office job, its made no difference to my weight loss or fitness routine.

I'm asking people for opinions and advice because I'm saying I have a hard time not snacking all day. Just because you don't have a hard time doesn't mean no one else does.
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Water and I carry A LOT of snacks but healthy snacks. so if i want to eat a grab some cucumbers or carrots
  • marysamezz
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    I keep my drawer in my office full of healthy snacks and have claimed a drawer in the fridge as well. That way I don't eat out during the week. I also get up and walk the office at least hourly. There are lots of body weight stuff you can do at your desk throughout the day. I also have the luxury of a door and blinds, so I can close the door at lunch and do some yoga. I even brought a mat to live in the office. You want it bad enough, you make it work.

Good tip, I need to pack some healthy snacks in my desk!
  • marysamezz
    Options
    keith0373 wrote: »
    Go for a walk at lunch?

I work for the govt so they are pretty strict on breaks, I only have a half hour for lunch
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    marysamezz wrote: »
    redheaddee wrote: »

Good tip, I need to pack some healthy snacks in my desk!

You have a problem with snacking so you're going to fill your desk with snacks?
    Makes sense
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    marysamezz wrote: »
    keith0373 wrote: »
    Go for a walk at lunch?

I work for the govt so they are pretty strict on breaks, I only have a half hour for lunch

Walk at lunch. Eat at your desk after while working.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I work in an office 42 hours a week. All of my work is on a computer. However, I have still managed to loose this amount of weight.

Its 90% diet and 10% Exercise, in my case at least. I walk on my lunch break after I have eaten. Then I go home and run/walk if I have time in the evening.

You can do this.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I pack all my food, and bring no cash so I can't buy other things at the cafeteria. I make sure I drink through two 22 ounce water bottles per day. I walk on my morning break and my lunch (also a government job with 1/2 hour). I work on the fourth floor, and if I have to go to the bathroom or fill my water bottle, I walk down the stairs to the first floor to do those things. I get in between 8,000 and 11,000 steps in a day by doing this. And I go to the gym three nights a week, typically.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Makes sense

I relate to this. The office vending machine is full of lousy options like Costco muffins and chocolate bars. I pack protein bars cut in half. If I get caught out with nothing in the afternoon, I go to my stash. Even so, I've been raiding my stash too often so today I'm trying gum.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    <<<Desk Jockey

- Plan your snacks out through the day to fit into your calorie goals rather than just mindlessly snacking...have a schedule...keep your schedule
    - Get up every hour or so to just walk around or stretch for 5 minutes or so
    - I work on the 3rd floor...I use the breakroom and facilities on the first floor and take the stairs
    - I park in the corner spot of the parking lot that is pretty much as far as I can get from the door
    - I always take the stairs
    - When I have a question for a colleague, 9x10 I will get up and walk to their office or cubicle rather than emailing them or using the internal com.

You're already getting regular and deliberate exercise, so that's good....I try to ride 60 - 80 miles per week on my bike and I lift 3x weekly (most weeks)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    Makes sense

I relate to this. The office vending machine is full of lousy options like Costco muffins and chocolate bars. I pack protein bars cut in half. If I get caught out with nothing in the afternoon, I go to my stash. Even so, I've been raiding my stash too often so today I'm trying gum.

I was being sarcastic.