High protein snacks for someone who doesn't eat a lot of meat?

Options
I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a ton of meat either so I'm constantly looking for good and cheap high protein snacks that I can keep in my backpack when I have to go to campus. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Lentils as well as hemp seed have good amounts of protein.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Fennugreek (Or Methi Seeds) has RIDICULOUS amounts of protein. 1tblspn has 4 g - 25% protein... http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/189/2
    Way more than chia even! I was surprized! I like to hydrate the fennugreek seeds and make tea and then eat the seeds with Greek Gods Honey Yogurt. You can also use it in curries. You can bake with it. It's great for you. I highly recommend it. I get mine from amazon, but you can get it at Indian food stores as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bean and salsa wrap, ricotta or cottage cheese with nuts, dry roasted edamame, rice pudding (add extra eggs if you are making it yourself), apple or other fruit with nuts, lentil soup, hemp seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
    Some folks like baked oatmeal that you make over the weekend, freeze and refrigerate, and cut in squares to bring to work/ school.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Cans of tuna, sardines (stinky), and chicken. Cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, and greek yogurt.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Can't beat a quick peanut butter sandwich. It may have more calories, but I always made one or two for long campus days, cheaper than eating in the cafeteria, does not need refrigerator, and tastes good even when smashed by books.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cans of tuna, sardines (stinky), and chicken. Cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, and greek yogurt.
    Tuna, sardines, and chicken are all meat.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

I love white bean dips and spreads. They are great with breads or veggies. You can just put a bit in a small Tupperware and throw it in your bag.

Nuts and seeds are delicious and have some protein, but are primarily fat sources so i would recommend a dry roasted soybean or chickpea snack over nuts if you are trying to get the most protein for your calorie budget.

Cold "salads" are another great portable source of plant protein. You could make your own 3 bean salad, quinoa salad (only moderate protein, so again, weigh against your calorie budget), lentil or chickpea salads, etc. If you buy the beans dry, they're just about the cheapest food you can get. They are very portable because they can easily go several hours without refrigeration.
  • brittneyleighphotography
    Options

Um, Tuna and sardines are fish dude. I'm with you on the the chicken tho. :)
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You can keep nuts and beef jerky in your backpack. Other ideas that are high in protien are tofu and beans but those aren't made for your backpack I don't think.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I generally think of meat as muscle tissue, because that's mostly what you're eating when you eat a steak or a chicken wing (along with a bit of fat and other tissue). It's also what you're eating when you eat fish. If fish isn't meat, then what is it? lol

Anyway, as mentioned above, cottage cheese, string cheese (or almost any cheese), eggs, and greek yogurt pack a lot of protein punch and are fairly low in calories. Those are usually my go-to snacks when I need to up my protein. I do also eat a lot of beans, but I eat them more for the fiber than for the protein.

But when I know I'm going somewhere or will be out all day and want a snack that I can carry in my purse, I usually bring a protein bar with me. :)

• Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    pork rinds are nearly pure protein, believe it or not. not much fat and no carbs. very portable ... (try to find noncommercial source without all the MSG) ...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Fish are animals. And their flesh is called meat.

To the OP, my taste for meat comes and goes. I make up my protein needs on low meat days with Greek yogurt and other dairy, eggs, and legumes or beans. Sometimes the occasional commercial whey powder shake or protein bar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A shaker of whey (just add water when ready), protein bars, Jerky (but that's meat), nuts (decent protein but a better fat source)...I don't know, actual high protein on the go snacks are tough unless you really like jerky.

I tend to get most of my protein in my actual meals and my snacks tend to be things like almonds and other nuts, trail mix, fruit, etc....and I use a whey supplement most days to hit my targets. Like I said, my main meals tend to provide most of my daily protein.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Quieau wrote: »
    pork rinds are nearly pure protein, believe it or not. not much fat and no carbs. very portable ... (try to find noncommercial source without all the MSG) ...

Pork rinds are about 52% fat.

Be careful when using the MFP database. The entries are user created and often very wrong.

• rachellll98
    Options
    Almonds! They have a lot of protein. They probably also have fat though.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturevalley.com/nv-products/oats-n-honey-protein-granola/

Put that on some Greek yogurt and you have yourself a 265cal, 18g protein lunch/snack like I'm eating right now :)
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk shakes have quite a bit of protein, although some people don't like their flavor.
  • LMSPDX
    Options
    I'm also a student and like high-protein snacks that are quick and filling. Nature Valley protein granola is great, add yogurt and frozen berries. Hummus or black bean dip with crackers and/or cut up veggies. Apples and peanut butter. I love high-protein and high-fiber granola bars and always have a couple in my backpack. Usually that stuff can get me through the day and I avoid the cafeteria! I always carry a big water bottle and make sure to drink enough water throughout the day, that helps too!