Measuring your food???

Options
So I have a question... How is everyone measuring their food(... like, 2/3 cup, 1 cup. etc). I just finished cooking and I measure with my regular measuring cups to make sure I'm not going over (If I eye-measured, I know I would go over!). Instead of just measuring my plate, I decided to measure the whole pan. We had tuna helper (I know, stay away from pasta, but I only had a small portion) and on the box it says '1 cup serving size- prepared' and there was 5 servings in the box. BUT when I measured all of the pan, It came out with 4 servings, 1 cup each. Now I feel like I haven't been measuring my food right and may be intaking more calories then the 1200. (because of this, I put back a small from my plate and I instantly want to work out in case I've been going over.)

I'm on my 2nd week here... just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Replies

• kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    personally I feel if you have already lost 7lbs in less than 2 weeks, you are doing something right.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A digital food scale is best. Mass (measure by a digital scale in ounces or grams) will ALWAYS be more accurate than volume (which is what we measure with cups). Easiest part about the scales - you stick your plate on them, zero out the scale, and then add food. Can't mess it up. =)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I go by weight whenever possible. Volume measurements can be off depending on how compressed or uncompressed the stuff you're measuring is.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would think no matter how many servings are in the pan it would be the same 1 cup serving for x amount of calories. I am sure you are doing fine! I measure all my food in measuring cups unless I am out eating somewhere.
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    This is a great question! I literally feel like I have to measure everything out that I eat now. And it gets difficult when you go to enter it in and you have to convert cups to ml or grams. I'd like to know what other ppl are doing too!!
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    they jip you on those damn boxes I love some of them but im telling you there aint 5 sesrvings OH HELL NO LOL your not doing anything wrong! always measure with proper cups and tsp etc! keep up the good work!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale from walmart, it was around 30dollars and I LOVE IT.

I measure everything in grams. If grams is not available, I turn it into cups. Take the g weight, multiply by 0.035, then divide by 8, and that is how many cups of food it is.

(1 g = 0.035 oz ; 8 oz = 1 cup )

It isn't as hard as it looks, and I am so thankful that I can measure well now using my scale. It helps me avoid overeating, which I am prone to do!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I just bought one, have to get use to using it tho.
    How much is weight is a serving?
    Good luck with measuring . Keep healthy and happy!
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    A digital food scale is best. Mass (measure by a digital scale in ounces or grams) will ALWAYS be more accurate than volume (which is what we measure with cups). Easiest part about the scales - you stick your plate on them, zero out the scale, and then add food. Can't mess it up. =)
    Agree. I keep the scale on the counter, zero my cereal bowl, raisins first to 20 grams, then granola to 73, then yogurt to 193. Easier than using cups or spoons, and dirties fewer dishes.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I ended up buying me a digital scale up at Walmart. It was only like $19.96... which isn't bad and it has helped out a lot!
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    I measure every time I server food. The packages are very probematic. The can say there is 4 servings of 1/2 Cup and one time it will be true . The next time 3 1/2 cups servings. Just keep measuring and you should be ok.
  • ashahl
    ashahl Posts: 81
    Options
    I want a food scale so bad!!! I never know if I'm eyeballing or measuring right. But my mom won't let me get one :( She thinks it is unhealthy and disordered.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am completely and utterly dependent on my food scale. I firmly believe it was the single biggest thing that got me off of the plateau I was on back in January. After a while, your brain starts thinking there is less there than there actually is and you start to overeat your calories...also, if you have a smart phone, there are a ton of free apps that allow for easy weight and volume conversions if the packaging doesn't jive with grams or oz. on the food scale.

I have an iPhone and I use the Converter+ app...converts just about any measurement in seconds...

My wife thinks I am nuts, but I have lost on average 1.8 pounds per week for almost six months with most of that religiously measuring my food. I travel for my job and even take my scale with me in my luggage...
  • ms_blonde_2008
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I may have to look at the Food Scales next time I take a trip to Wal-mart!
  • Kforest0714
    Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale...i dont do ww anymore,i did like over 3 yrs ago but I love this scale. It cost $40...you can save info in it.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    EYEBALL it

The more you make it an exact science the harder it is to maintain!!!!

BE HONEST, but dont get to wrapped up in the details

I picture a measuring cup and log my food basded on that mental image!
  • jammeldrum
    jammeldrum Posts: 5
    Options
    I use a food scale. If the meal is four servings, I split everything up in four before I sit down to eat.
    It serves a couple of purposes. I know I'm eating the right portion and tomorrow's lunch has been prepared and packaged.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't go by "servings". Really, 17 cheez-its is a serving? A whole box is a serving, thank you very much. And the size of the box is irrelevant. Is the box empty? No? Then I'm not done. Which is why I just don't even go near that aisle in the supermarket.

Instead, I go by weight, generally. I aim every day to be just a little under my calorie goal, so that if I am off a few tenths of an ounce on anything I'm OK. And I'm learning what foods are just bad to eat because they're nutrient-dense with not much satisfaction, and what are good things to eat because they offer a better payoff. (Such as garden vegetables being a better deal than pasta.) After a while you can "eyeball" what's a normal serving, but I recommend you keep weighing because your eye tends to "relax" when you've done well.

My opinion - but obsessing over a 10 calorie difference in a day is not healthy. It's overall consumption and exercise. And a healthy sense of moderation.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eyeball!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The digital food scale is your friend. For more on why I ditched the cups and embrace the digital kitchen scale, read my blog post on this subject: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/measuring-versus-weighing-your-food-63132