Focus T-25 Results vs Other Workouts?

Options
Hello!

I used to be in good shape. I got there using The Firm (early 2000's "Fannylifter" workouts) and then I did Body-for-Life, but for the last 8 yrs. or so, it's been an up and down, start and stop struggle. I have a good 30 or so lbs. to lose and I want to get results quickly, but also safely. I tried Insanity last year, but that is something I will have to work up to. I couldn't do a lot of the moves and my back and knees hurt from it.

I did my first T-25 workout, "Alpha Cardio" today and it was humiliating. I could barely keep up with the modifier. I did feel good afterward, though. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with T-25 vs other workouts, and how it compares in terms of results. Are longer, less aggressive workouts more productive, or does this "Give-it-All-You've-Got" short burst of a workout come out on top?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    In my opinion:

You can get results with either. I think it's just a matter of which you prefer.

I personally prefer short/intense workouts.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've done T25 and it helped me get started on my journey. I lost weight, inches, and got stronger with it. I personally prefer shorter 25-35 minute workouts. But 1-2 times a week I'll do 60 minute fitness classes (kettlebell and spin). However, I consider the shorter workouts to be my bread and butter and the fitness classes to be a little something extra.

It really depends on your preference, your time limitations, and which one you enjoy doing more. As long as you're moving it's all good.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    T25 was where I started getting back into working out. Prior to that I was lazy and also battling an issue with a hernia that prevented me from doing much for 2+ years. Like you the first time I did Alpha Cardio I was just done after 10 minutes. My calfs, knees, back it all hurt. I pushed through and spent the next two days gingerly walking around from the soreness. It's a huge shock to your system to go from sedentary right into full on cardio. But it can be done. Just have to persevere. The first week will be hell. Just follow Tanya and do the best you can. Take in alot of protein and aminos because your lower body muscles are going to be screaming the first two weeks and they will need to protein to repair. Alot of stretching multiple times a day will help too. Especially your cals, groin, and thighs. Once you start to get in a routine you will find yourself getting better and better and going away from Tanya and being able to follow Shaun more and more. After the 5 weeks of Alpha if you don't feel like you are ready for Beta you can just continue on until the Alpha workouts start to get easier for you. In fact I actually believe the Alpha was harder then the Beta. Beta mixes in alot more upper body which gives your lower a chance to heal up between workouts.
    T25 is marketed as a beginner/intermediate level program. If the modifier is to intense for you perhaps you can start with something a little easier. My wife started with the biggest loser videos and then went to T25 after. That was a good transition for her. But I think you can do it. Just set your mind to it, pop in that DVD everyday and do your best. You will be amazed at how your body starts to change. When I first started I thought no way I was ever going to be able to complete it. Spending two days scooting my butt down the stairs because my legs were to sore to walk down them lol. By the end I was doing the videos straight through with no need to modify whatsoever. You can too I promise. :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    T25 is a great starting point.....but with any workout program, if you're diet isn't in check then nothing you do will matter.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I was the same way my first week of T-25. Could barely keep up with the modifier. I was very shameful, but I kept telling myself to follow her as best I could, even tho I couldn't keep up, by the end of the 5 weeks you are so much stronger and moving faster. Stick with it--just do the best you can do! You will see amazing changes!!
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Loved T25, You can always try out Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, but I feel T25 pushes you much more.
  • VegGram
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your responses! I did Speed 1.0 yesterday, it was about the same as Alpha Cardio for me... humiliating, but I felt good afterward. Today is Total Body... we'l see how this goes!
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Total Body is by far the hardest video in Alpha. Just modify take it slow and make sure your form is correct. Especially on the tap pushups and spider lunges
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Remember, Alpha is your base -- it's all about getting your form correct and getting fit enough you don't hurt yourself in Beta or Gamma. If it isn't hard starting out, you're in too good of shape to be doing it :smiley: Damn Ab workout was what always kicked my butt...always wondered why it was in the Alpha round. Keep with it -- it's worth the effort!
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Not done T-25, but completed Insanity. The way I looked at it was 'if it is easy to start with, what is the point?'. It's tough, but it does get (a bit) easier as you progress. You'll still be hard pressed to push through without any breaks/modifiers at the end, but it means there is still room for improvement in a second round. In my mind it adds to the longevity of the program (and therefore means it's better value for money!).

Best of luck, don't give up :D
  • VegGram
    Options
    Thanks Guys! Total body was killer! Ugh! I had to modify the modified version, LOL. So sad to see how weak and out of shape I've become :( I finished it though, and I feel better for having done it.
    Lapre79 wrote: »
    Total Body is by far the hardest video in Alpha. Just modify take it slow and make sure your form is correct. Especially on the tap pushups and spider lunges
    Both ended up at sort of a right angle (knees almost directly under hips) after a doing just a few in the modified version. My core is pretty weak. I'm hoping that counts :wink:
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Damn Ab workout was what always kicked my butt...always wondered why it was in the Alpha round. Keep with it -- it's worth the effort!
    Thanks for the warning! I'll find out tomorrow (Merry Christmas Eve to me!) and then I'll take Christmas day off as my "Rest" before moving on.

Did anybody do 6 days per week instead of doubling up? I'm hoping that won't detract from my results, but I think I may need to go this route, at least to start.

• AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week 3 of the Beta cycle. Alpha was really hard for me at first, but it did get easier. I enjoy Beta much more than Alpha, so just keep that in mind! I'm not willing to commit much more than 30 minutes per day to a workout, so T25 is perfect for me.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It definitely builds up the intensity of the Alpha to Beta Cycle. I loved T25. My fav phase was Gamma, tough but once you pushed through. It felt progressive and even though you had to push, there is room to build up your capacity and strength :)