Average Net Calories

Options
On average, how many net calories do you eat a day?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Close to my My target or slightly under by up to 1000 over the week

So currently on maintenance for Christmas...gives me 1810 a day sedentary plus workouts and walking (fitbit monitored) which is generally 350-700 additional calories daily ...over this week I will most probably eat and drink all of them

Whilst losing weight ..at 0.5lb a week I average a defecit of 1750 - 2500 per week so roughly lose up to 0.8lb a week
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    According to my report here it's right around 1200/day. My target is 1220 so that's great as I'm an estimator of both calories in and out (by which I mean, no food scales and no HRM).
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    for weight loss I eat 1344 calories a day. I'm in maintence for Christmas week so I can have 1780 a day. I don't plan on eating all that every day but it's there if I need it this crazy yummy week. This doesn't include 5 high intensity work outs a week minimum. But I try not to eat back exercise calories anyways
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I don't understand why people don't eat back their workouts when following the MFP method
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Average for me is around 1,200
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    2000ish, on average.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    between 2300 and 2700 ish on average does go higher than that now and again ;)
  • sagy1cor
    sagy1cor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat my exercise calories either. It just doesn't work for my body. I have created a spreadsheet for my net calories so that I can average it. On average, since 11/30 (minus a couple of days) I eat about 882.7 calories per day (net). I'm guessing this is why my body will not let go of the weight. (I keep losing and gaining the same 5-6lbs).
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    NET? You mean after exercise, yes?

1359 over the past 83 days. (I actually EAT more like 1710)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sagy1cor wrote: »
    I try not to eat my exercise calories either. It just doesn't work for my body. I have created a spreadsheet for my net calories so that I can average it. On average, since 11/30 (minus a couple of days) I eat about 882.7 calories per day (net). I'm guessing this is why my body will not let go of the weight. (I keep losing and gaining the same 5-6lbs).

Of course you have to be weighing and logging your calories accurately and estimating your calorie burns in exercise appropriately (not using the MFP database or machine burns) and if it doesn't work then adjust until it does

But under 1000 net calories a day is IMHO a highway to crashing and burning ...you need to fuel your body appropriately
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    oh net errrr wow under 2000 after excersize thats crap!! considering I am fighting a drop!! today was 1971 yesterday 1888..
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't understand why people don't eat back their workouts when following the MFP method

I presume it's to lose weight faster.

I don't really know why I'm fine if I exercise and then eat 1500 calories but dying of hunger if I don't exercise and eat 1200 calories...but that's the way it is so I just work with it lol.

• jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

me either, Can someone please advise? I dont eat back all of mine, but most- still end up with eating under my caloric goal. Maybe I just dont understand why there is a NET to begin with?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    sagy1cor wrote: »

No, your body holding onto weight because you're not eating enough is a myth.

That said, I do think you should aim to net more. It's important that you nourish your body. Also make sure you're logging accurately.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i net around 12-1350 per day
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I definitely do not eat back all of my exercise calories. I'm positive that MFP seriously overestimates them (I do NOT burn 700 calories swimming an hour!). But I base my intake on my loss. I track how much I lose in a week, multiply that by 3500. I divide that by 7 and add that to the average of how many calories I consumed a day for the past week and subtract 500, then eat that. While my weight loss does jump around, the overall trend is quite steady, and doesn't rely on inaccurate burn estimates.

ETA: I also take as my "real" weight a smoothed trend, so base my calculations on that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Net 2300- 2500....gross around 2800 - 3000 or so for maintenance.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Net 1300-1600 Gross 2000-2300
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Currently 2250 perday.