Struggling :-(

Options
Hello all.

I am overweight because I am a food addict. While My Fitness Plan is an amazing tool and has helped me....it doesn't do anything to ease my addictive tendencies with food. I was excited and motivated when I first discovered MFP and did very well the first week or week and a half. Then the food cravings and obsession set in and I am struggling terribly to not binge and graze all day and all of the other behaviors that have gotten me here.

I am here now because at this very moment...as I type I am having am inner battle about going to the kitchen to eat because no one else is home and I can do so with out any embarrassment. I don't want to do it because I know the regret and guilt I will feel after binging but the urges and craving often win out. I am honest about my food when I log each meal and snack so it is really depressing to look at what I've done to myself on a given day but unfortunately it's not enough to prevent me from repeating it all the next day.

I came here instead of going to the fridge or pantry, I suppose that's what I'll do from now on as writing this out seems to help. I would love to hear from you about your struggles and how you over come them.

Thank you in advance for sharing :-)

Replies

• propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that might help you or anyone that reads this:

1. IT IS OK TO BE HUNGRY... The sooner you accept this fact the sooner you will shed the lbs. You are changing your metabolism and habits, and you body is going to fight you... you have to control this and tell yourself every second of every day that it is ok to be hungry.... Make sure you are sticking to your caloric intake to stay healthy, but accept hunger... HUNGER PANGS ARE FAT LEAVING THE BODY!

2. EAT LIKE A CAVEMAN.... what I mean by this is if caveman had access to it or could make it you CAN eat it... if cave man could not access or make it, you CAN NOT eat it.... Very simply, our bodies are designed through evolution to be hunter/gatherers... we hike 20 miles, kill an animal, eat it and repeat... So stay away from the processed foods.... ALL processed foods... If you look at the ingredients and can not understand, read or comprehend at one glance what is in it... DO NOT EAT IT..

3. When you feel hungry, start chugging water... if it is not "time" to eat and you feel hungry your body might actually be slightly dehydrated. The water will satisfly the hunger pang temporarily and along with an apple or a a small veggi snack you will make it to your next meal...

4. EAT BEFORE YOU EAT.... If you are going to be in a place that is tempting, ie: out with friends, at a party, holidays, etc. Eat cave man food before you put yourself in that situation.. Example: You are going to meet friends for a night out.. you know you will be around good food and drinks... before you leave the house chow down on a pouch of tuna, smoked salmon, bowl of soup, instant rice, etc.. something, anything, so when you sit down to dinner or are at the party you are not "Starving" and you order food that is appropriate for YOU!

5. ALWAYS HAVE FOOD WITH YOU... this might mean you have to carry a fanny pack or purse/satchel, but it works.. keep it loaded with good stuff.... dried fruit, nuts, grapes, pouch of tuna, can of chicken, etc... if you feel temped to go in the convience store while pumping gas or cruzing the airport, grab your gut to remind yourself why your are doing this and then eat the good stuff you have with you, not the crap you could buy at the kiosk.... Check out my signature picture... I am an airline pilot and I carry that bag full of good stuff that last me 4-5 days on the road!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hugs. Is there something you can do to distract yourself?

GG
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Acutually... Blue is the new Black!!!!!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/JetBlue-Airways/Embraer-ERJ-190-100IGW-190AR/1492699/&sid=d9767a9f9071f202eb2ce413f043e217

look at the name of the airplane on the side!
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options

1. IT IS OK TO BE HUNGRY... The sooner you accept this fact the sooner you will shed the lbs. You are changing your metabolism and habits, and you body is going to fight you... you have to control this and tell yourself every second of every day that it is ok to be hungry.... Make sure you are sticking to your caloric intake to stay healthy, but accept hunger... HUNGER PANGS ARE FAT LEAVING THE BODY!

2. EAT LIKE A CAVEMAN.... what I mean by this is if caveman had access to it or could make it you CAN eat it... if cave man could not access or make it, you CAN NOT eat it.... Very simply, our bodies are designed through evolution to be hunter/gatherers... we hike 20 miles, kill an animal, eat it and repeat... So stay away from the processed foods.... ALL processed foods... If you look at the ingredients and can not understand, read or comprehend at one glance what is in it... DO NOT EAT IT..

3. When you feel hungry, start chugging water... if it is not "time" to eat and you feel hungry your body might actually be slightly dehydrated. The water will satisfly the hunger pang temporarily and along with an apple or a a small veggi snack you will make it to your next meal...

4. EAT BEFORE YOU EAT.... If you are going to be in a place that is tempting, ie: out with friends, at a party, holidays, etc. Eat cave man food before you put yourself in that situation.. Example: You are going to meet friends for a night out.. you know you will be around good food and drinks... before you leave the house chow down on a pouch of tuna, smoked salmon, bowl of soup, instant rice, etc.. something, anything, so when you sit down to dinner or are at the party you are not "Starving" and you order food that is appropriate for YOU!

5. ALWAYS HAVE FOOD WITH YOU... this might mean you have to carry a fanny pack or purse/satchel, but it works.. keep it loaded with good stuff.... dried fruit, nuts, grapes, pouch of tuna, can of chicken, etc... if you feel temped to go in the convience store while pumping gas or cruzing the airport, grab your gut to remind yourself why your are doing this and then eat the good stuff you have with you, not the crap you could buy at the kiosk.... Check out my signature picture... I am an airline pilot and I carry that bag full of good stuff that last me 4-5 days on the road!

This is great! Thank you!
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Distraction is the key...for me anyway. I do anything I can to NOT eat after a while I got used to having less calories and believe me I know what it is like to be a food addict..I'm a qualified chef...it's a difficult task, but I am getting there. Good luck and I hope it all works for you and you get some advice that works. Big hugs
  • searbear1980
    searbear1980 Posts: 110
    Options
    I struggle every day too. I have a few things that have started helping. Gum. Fruits and veggies that take forever to eat like a turnip. Also it is not easy I fight with it every day. I have goal pants sitting where I can see them. Sometimes I exercise to help the boredom. Friend me if you would like some extra support.
  • bradynsmom
    bradynsmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am righ there with you I was very determined when I first started this to lose the weight and stop the cycle of eating and feeling bad about myself. I had wished to meet my goal of being under 200 before spring but this has not happened and instead I am play a constant yo-yo with the scale one week I lose then I put it back on and it goes back and forth. I have a hard time finding time to get on here each day to actually log my food and think part of it is because I don't want to see the calorie count.

Sorry I don't really have any suggestion to get over it because I am stuggling myself but I wanted you to know you are not alone. Good luck and way to go getting on here instead of going to the kitchen.
  • zetro14
    zetro14 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know how hard it is for you!!! I have been struggling for the last 7 years. I have no choice now but to me motavated !!! I want to see my grandchildren grow up and I want to live. I'm tired of living like I have. I need to find a reason to stop eating !!! I know that sound dumb. But mine is my health and my grand daughters. I want to run around with them and play.. I was at my highest weight in my life before I said stop !!! I wish you luck my friend !!!:happy:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I had the same troubles when I first started out. A really weird thing helped me whenever I had a craving was to stop and say to myself "I am not REALLY hungry, my body/brain is tricking me to keep me fat". Then I would intentionally make myself feel physically angry at my body/brain for being a jerk. Lol. I know it is silly, but it helped me. Maybe something like that will help you.

After a few weeks my stomach shrank and I didn't feel so hungry as often. You just need to find a way to break the old habits.
    The only other thing that helped me through those first few weeks was drinking lots and lots of water. Like an entire glass every time I considered cheating.

Now I am so glad I did it. You will be, too. You can do it!
  • jopamom
    jopamom Posts: 11
    Options
    I struggle with it daily. But what has helped is this thing I drink called Shakeology from Beachbody. It is loaded with nutrients and it helps with cravings, helps you lose weight, and gives you energy. The best part of it is that it is DELICIOUS! Its a powder you mix. I mix mine with 1 cup water, 7 ice cubes, 1/2 banana, and 1 tbsp natural peanut butter. Throw everything in a blender and you get a yummy chocolate shake for lunch! For more info, go to bit.ly/tastybusiness and see all the benefits it offers.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You're doing the right thing by writing it down and reaching out when you have temptations. Putting it all out there makes it less of an internal struggle. I think most of us here struggle with cravings and wanting to eat when we shouldn't, but there is a great support system. Start playing around with strategies that work for you, like not buying the foods you crave, giving in once a day or once a week, or finding alternatives to what you're craving. It will be a long process, but the only way you will fail is if you give up.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way eating poorly makes me feel bad but not enough to stop. I personally am a night time binger so I make sure to eat properly and then just make myself a low calorie hot chocolate at night. Once that's done I brush my teeth and grab a biiiig bottle of water and say I can't go to bed until I drink two of them. Weight loss is about finding what works best for you. Ivv
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is your body reacting to a habit versus a true need. Just keep telling yourself that as time passes, the habits will weaken and begin to be replaced by new habits. My Dad quit smoking and told me that 10 years later, when a trigger was pulled he would subconsciesly reach for his pack of smokes. This manifested itself usually at times of great ease and relaxation, not from stress. Learn to embrace the grumble from the tummy like the pain of a good workout. Good luck!
  • debbie90045
    debbie90045 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for all the replies and so fast! I appreciate everything that was shared, really helpful advice and suggestions as well as an encouraging word that I don't suffer alone in this.

Thank you again :-)
  • debbie90045
    debbie90045 Posts: 10
    Options
    That's awesome advice! Dropping the processed junk from my diet is a must for sure. Eating like a caveman, I love it! :-)

• mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I have days where I just don't think I'm going to make it if I don't stuff my face....but I am actually loosing weight and sticking with it for once and everytime I feel that craziness coming on I tell myself how good I've been doing and that I'm proud of myself. I know it sounds corny, but for the first time ever I'm able to talk myself off that ledge!. Hang in there, it's not easy but we are all on here to support each other.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Yep. What they said.

Obsession/addiction is allllllll about habits and brain chemistry.

The best way to rewire your brain is 1.) New Habits & 2.) Healthy foods.

Part of the problem is biochemical. Depending on how you were eating before, you probably need long-term nutrient replacement before your brain and body get on the same page. It CAN be done by just eating well (Cave Man food) and getting some exercise every day to reset the brain chemicals. Maybe a multivitamin/mineral supplement or two.

It is a process. Keep at it till you get it. Do whatever it takes. Keep starting again, keep adding on new good habits. You have to start somewhere. It's always best to start where you are. :heart:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I have another helpful hint!

Vlasic Zesty Dill Pickle Spears have 0 calories. Their full of salt, so you have to drink lots of water with them. But, if you are really having trouble NOT having a snack, one or two of these spears does it for me every time! Yummers!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    "IT IS OK TO BE HUNGRY"

This is good.

Sometimes we think we're bad because we overeat or like food. It's normal to like food or to eat. Some of us just let it get out of balance, but it's not because we're bad people.

So being hungry is not a sign of failure. It's a sign that you want something. Sometimes it's food. Sometimes it's your body wanting to get filled. Sometimes it's your mind wanting its old, cheap entertainment and fulfillment.

Don't punish yourself for feeling that way.

You're on track to do better. If you succeed, great. If you fall along the way - well, join the rest of humanity. We all fail. But we can all try.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    "food cravings and obsession set in and I am struggling terribly to not binge and graze all day and all of the other behaviors that have gotten me here. "

Boy can I relate to that and I also go to the blogs/community when I feel myself obsessing about eating something. It really helps for distraction but there are many days when I cannot get online...

Ive been told to ask folks for help but they dont always want to give it.

Proverbial rock and hard place...

When Im really stuck I just pace around my workplace (Nanny... awesome junk cabinet...) I probably look like a caged animal. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

Sorry Im not more help. but if you want to accept my friend request maybe we can help/distract each other?