meal replacement shake

Options
Hi all!
I'm looking for a meal replacement shake for weight loss. I would like to start a safe liquid diet.
Thank you!

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a totally liquid diet. It's not good for your gut long term to go without solid food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Because??
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why? Theres really no need. Wouldnt you find eating real food more interesting?

If you do it the MFP way then you adopt sustainable eating patterns for free that are intended to last for a lifetime and not just as long as you keep paying someone else.
    The vast majority of people on this site lose weight by eating normal food and sustaining a deficit.
  • jdbrrw
    jdbrrw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it as long as you're only replacing 1-2 meals a day and you are still eating enough snacks/food (preferably nutrient dense) during the rest of the day to meet your caloric and nutrient requirements. I drink the equate weight loss shakes from Walmart. I usually will have one for breakfast, one for lunch, two snacks during the day and a nice healthy home-cooked meal for dinner. The convenience of a meal replacement shake makes it easier for me to stick to my calorie limit because I work very long days at odd hours and I don't always feel like preparing every meal I eat, so if I don't bring a shake, I would probably end up eating fast food.
  • jdbrrw
    jdbrrw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    But I will reiterate what was said before which is that a totally liquid diet is not a good idea...for one thing, those shakes only have about 190 calories in them. You would have to drink about 6-7 of those a day to meet a 1200 calorie diet.
  • KaidensMom13
    KaidensMom13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Total lean shakes! I love them, I drink one or two a day as a replacement and eat snacks in between with dinner in the evening. They are 170 calories, with 25g of protein so they keep me full. You should always eat solids throughout the day though!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Liquid diets have the highest weight regain stats because when a person goes back to actually eating food, the liquid diet taught them nothing about portions.
    DON'T resort to dieting for fast weight loss or just to lose weight temporarily. If you want to make this a permanent thing, then you need to apply a program that you'll follow for life. And that usually means just eating some nutritionally dense foods (usually whole foods) along with a little of what you enjoy and keeping calories in check.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Buy a six-pack of the Glucerna meal replacements and give that a go. Count how many you need to make 1200 calories a day.

Personally, yuck. I was on this diet for two weeks and I was weak, had no energy. I had to give up all my exercise. Constipation was a major factor too. I counted the days 'till it was over.

I lost a lot of weight but I only did it because it was medically ordered to get me ready for surgery.

Or you might try this:

http://www.soylent.me/
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the GNC Go Lean Shakes - the vanilla is awesome but seriously I only use them as a quick meal replacement when I'm running around. Normally I try to eat real foods because they just keep me fuller longer.
  • rachellll98
    Options
    You can make a smoothie with bananas, strawberry yogurt (or any kind really), smooth peanut butter. It is really good and I think counts as a liquid. Of course also add ice.
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I drink a meal replacement shake for lunch. It keeps me from eating the food brought in by drug reps every day. You can choose to eat or drink the calories- all the same.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Pathway to long term failure point made

*Tick*