Sugar???

Options
This is my 3rd day using the app and logging in my daily food. I am so surprised that the goal that the app set for me for my sugar intake every day is only 31 grams. I used to have a sweet tooth and weeks ago I have completely given up on any unnecessary candy/chocolates etc. And see that even in spite of eating only healthy food, I find that my sugar intake is easily 80-90 gms. Am I missing anything ?

How is sugar intake been going for others ?

I am vegetarian btw

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary, it's hard to tell. If you're eating fruit, that could be throwing you over. If not, there's LOTS of hidden sugar in foods (salad dressings, seasonings, cereal, milk, etc.). Review your diary and see where the sugar is.
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    I find a lot of my sugar now comes from fruits, yogurts, and granolas, I'm thinking this is similar to you?
  • Raj2011
    Raj2011 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes fruits, cereal, protein bars etc. But my basic question remains: is 31 gms really the daily sugar intake for me? 33 yo, 151 lbs, 5'9" ?
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    Yes. That's according to recommended dietary guidelines. We in all actualality(sp) should be consuming about only 6 teaspoons of sugar a day, but believe me i am nowhere near this and also find it to be difficult to attain. Google it! :)
  • Nikkita29
    Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question... I was just about to ask the same one!! I couldn't figure out why I'm not losing any weight, and I guess I found my answer! I thought I was being healthy, eating yogurt twice a day and fruit twice a day... now I guess I've got to figure out where to make some cuts... I'm not sure I'll be able to get as low as the recommended amount, but at least I know what I really need to watch.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    One apple has 19 sugars. So, I'm guessing it's low. Personally, I try to keep an eye on refined sugars, but I'm not always successful (in fact, I tend to be double my sugar grams on most days). In all honesty, there's only so much you can keep your eye on at all times.

Once I got the gist of logging my food, I did a little research and adjusted my goals to fit my needs. I try to keep my protein over 100 and carbs under 100. Most of my fats are good fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts, etc.), so I don't really worry about that. Other than that, I set it to keep an eye on sodium (less than 1500 - I'm ALWAYS over) and fiber (more than 20). If I'm doing what I should do (staying away from refined crap), sugars shouldn't be much of an issue.