Packed lunch at work ideas please

Options
I work in an office environment and our lunch break is only half an hour so I'd rather not spend half of that in a queue waiting to be served. If anyone else who has a similar situation at work has ideas what I can take to work in a packed lunch. I would like a variety so I don't have the same stuff all the time and get bored with it.

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Turkey wrap with avocado, lettuce, tomato, and whatever else you like on your wraps

A big salad: chicken, hard boiled egg, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, dressing

OR

Spinach, feta cheese, chicken, pistachios, chopped apple, halved grapes

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Wraps, sandwiches, salads, leftovers (chili, lasagna, soup, etc).

Snacks or sides - veggies + dip, fruit (apple+pb, banana+pb), nuts, hardboiled eggs, side salad, cheese slices
  • rachellll98
    Options
    Also a yogurt or a bag of trail mix for snacks
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers from the night before, a quick zap in the microwave and I have a nice healthy home cooked meal.

Every month or so I will cook up a batch of chili (or sometimes other soup) and portion & freeze into ziplocks. It is a great for when I don't have leftovers or don't really plan ahead.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yogurt & granola is my daily work lunch.

There are some guys here who appear to be working on their fitness, I see them making plates with cottage cheese, fruit and veggies.

Sandwiches are great, you can change them up endlessly.
  • stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would do that if I have had chilli the night before. Its better the day after anyway. Wraps is a good idea. Ive always ended up getting stuck in a rutt and taking the same couple of things to work and getting bored
  • stevew_68
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I usually bring leftovers from the night before, a quick zap in the microwave and I have a nice healthy home cooked meal.

Every month or so I will cook up a batch of chili (or sometimes other soup) and portion & freeze into ziplocks. It is a great for when I don't have leftovers or don't really plan ahead.

Thats a good idea. Will it be ok after being frozen

• desirail
    desirail Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can freeze almost anything soup wise and then zap it in the microwave when you're ready to eat it. Just make sure it's not in the ziplock bag! I use microwave and freezer safe containers to freeze my food in. That way it goes straight from the freezer to the microwave with no issues.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    BENTO!

(Yeah, it's a goofy hobby, but still)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yep, soup freezes very well.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, a piece of fruit and a lean cuisine if they're on for a good sale (usually under 250 cals depending on the meal, my fave is chicken in wine sauce with roasted vegetables). I'm a big fan of making enough dinner to take leftovers for lunch too. Also granny smith apple slices and peanut butter sandwiched between whole wheat crackers makes a tasty snack too.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    stevew_68 wrote: »
    amcook4 wrote: »

Thats a good idea. Will it be ok after being frozen

Yes!! I do that all the time with my chili and spaghetti! It's usually thawed out by lunch time.

• pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing every day, makes it easier to track lol, 2 bananas, 1 apple, 1 sandwich (tuna, pb&j or turkey&cheese) almonds, carrots, celery and for dessert water :D
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I often make a crockpot full of something (I get a lot of recipes from skinnytaste.com. The Chicken Taco Chili is a particular favorite.) and it usually carries me for a few days. I don't mind eating the same thing a few days in a row though. I know many people do.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Chili freezes well. WHen I make it I make a double batch and freeze the leftoers in individual servings for lunches.

I almost always bring leftovers if we have them if not then I'll make an omelet or a salad of some kind. Also a mexican bowl with black beans, salsa, rice and chicken or beef is good.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I literally make anything, to be honest.

Some weeks it's sweet potato fries with fish, other weeks it's chicken, broccoli, and beans, another week it's pasta and sauce, etc... Anything can be made and put in a container.

I too have 1/2hr lunches. I just warm them up and good to go!
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I also work in an office so I understand the dilemma!! In the morning at work I eat yogurt with chai seeds. For lunch I have a variety. Some of my favourites include the following: (I should mention I'm gluten free also so that limits what I eat a little bit)

- cold taco salad
    - lettuce wraps (usually egg salad)
    - homemade soup heated up. Yesterday I had lentil soup which was really good!
    - assorted cheese, veg, dip, olives, pickle, cracker spread

Hopefully that gives you some ideas!!

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I generally take the same things, here's a list of common items I eat over my lunch break
    Seeds/nuts(homemade mix of what I like, plus some dried cranberries for sweetness)
    carrots
    cucumbers
    banana
    apple
    (any seasonal fruit)
    Tuna (the little foil packets are great)
    greek yogurt
    hard boiled eggs
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I like to take some cooked frozen shrimp and a little container of cocktail sauce. It's pretty much defrosted by lunch and if not, just give them a bath in some cold water for few minutes and you're good to go.
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Some brilliant ideas coming in here. Thanks everyone