Ginger

Options
Hi all!

I've dealt with lots of inflammation issues - heartburn, not so great time in the bathroom, etc. I make with ginger root, lemon, cucumber & mint leaves, which was recommended to me by a friend, and it seems to help with my stomach problems and I think it has de-bloated me. But I have fallen prey to the placebo effect before.

Some time ago, a friend gave me a bottle of Solaray supplements - Ginger Root. Does this have the same benefit regarding inflammation and detox benefits? Just wondering if anyone had any long term experience with using ginger root capsules as a helper with weight loss, general health improvement, etc.

Anytime I search for anything on this, I get a lot of canned responses about the benefits. I'm just looking for some real feedback from anyone. And I definitely would like to know if the supplement is worth taking or if it's just overkill.

Thank you!

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is good for inflammation. Not sure about ginger.

Have you seen a doctor about your bathroom problems?
  • mcintyreks
    Options
    Yeah. I was ingesting huge amounts of acidic foods and drinks. I drank like two pots of coffee a day, and there were other areas of my health that I wasn't taking care of. The problems got a little better, and I made out with no ulcers or anything serious. But I do have a mild case of IBS.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ginger has anti-nausea, anti-spasmodic, anti fungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral and a cough suppressant properties. What blueakama says about Turmeric is true, it also has a lot of healing properties and is considered to be one of the most health beneficial herbs. I would suggest seeing your doctor for any troubles you are having and asking about these "holistic" remedies.
    My experience with ginger is that it does help qualm the nausea, headaches and helps clear your sinuses. I have no experience with turmeric, aside from a friend who swears by it. These things are worth a shot, but if you are having continuing symptoms, your doctor is the best source of information.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Oh ok. Peppermint tea or chamomile tea would be good options.

There is a list of trigger foods on the helpforibs.com website - you'll see coffee is on the list. Just ignore the diet advice, it's a bit rubbish. Everyone reacts differently to different food. Glad to hear it's better.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ginger is a herb which is used as a spice in vegetables. Ginger is having a chemical which is used as an ingredient in antacid, laxative and anti-gas medications. It is also used as a flavoring by the food and drinks industry. Some use ginger juice is applied to the skin to treat burns.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are having heartburn issues, be very careful with mint or mint derivatives. Mint, along with caffeine, coffee (even decaf), and alcohol are several of the key things that trigger relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter and can worsen heartburn