Injury: Hamstring tendinitis & still getting burn?

Options
After a couple weeks I've figured out I most likely have acquired tendinitis in my upper hamstring (probably from try too hard with lunges & kicks). I've taken 5 days off the gym and still feel pain when I rise from a chair.

Now the thought of going to my regular Piloxing or Bootcamp classes has me feeling pain before I get there. (I stopped running at the end of summer.) So in trying to rest this injury, what can I still do that gets me a cardio-level burn for 30 min?

Please help! I'm only about 8 lbs from my dream weight!

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that, hamstring injuries suck. Remember that as far as weight loss is concerned a healthy calorie deficit will do more for weight loss than anything, so as long as your diet is consistently on-point you should continue your weight loss. If your calorie target accounts for the exercise then it's possibly you should lower it a little.

Can you ride an exercise bike? Do you have access to Battle Ropes? Those are a couple things that you can do for exercise that may not cause you pain.

The real question is what is causing you this pain? Are certain exercises being done incorrectly? Are you just exercising too frequently? BC classes can cause people to push themselves beyond what they really should unfortunately, have to be careful with BC and the frequency you attend.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "Patients who suffer hamstring tendonitis are likely to feel pain in the back of the knee which gradually becomes more apparent through continued activity."

Sounds more like an actual hamstring muscle issue rather than a tentonitus thing.
    And if you're still in pain pain after 5 days off- you should be seeing a doctor of some sort.

Secondly at 8 pounds that's going to be a lot of diet things- not workout things. Stay on top of that- walk- go to the pool if you can- but really it's diet.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    "Patients who suffer hamstring tendonitis are likely to feel pain in the back of the knee which gradually becomes more apparent through continued activity."

Sounds more like an actual hamstring muscle issue rather than a tentonitus thing.
    And if you're still in pain pain after 5 days off- you should be seeing a doctor of some sort.

Secondly at 8 pounds that's going to be a lot of diet things- not workout things. Stay on top of that- walk- go to the pool if you can- but really it's diet.

Yeah, exactly. If you have access to a PT or can get a referral to one, you may see about getting a Kinetic Chain Assessment (KCA) or somebody that can assess your movement for deficiencies (strength, flexibility, or both). It's not uncommon for these types of issues to be related to a supporting muscle to be taking over for a prime mover. In you're case, I wouldn't be surprised if your glutes were under-active.
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Yeah, exactly. If you have access to a PT or can get a referral to one, you may see about getting a Kinetic Chain Assessment (KCA) or somebody that can assess your movement for deficiencies (strength, flexibility, or both). It's not uncommon for these types of issues to be related to a supporting muscle to be taking over for a prime mover. In you're case, I wouldn't be surprised if your glutes were under-active.

Yes, Sam_I_Am77, this is exactly what I expect the case to be. I've pretty much rested it for a week and a half. (I accidentally engaged the muscle a couple of times two days ago while inadvertently picking up too heavy weight and stabilizing myself on a ball to do Russian Twists while holding a 15 lb weight.

Will be spending New Years with a friend and really want to join her for Jazzercise, but pretty much know that's a recipe for disaster. I'm resigned to going to the MD for a PT referral at the new year. :(