Hi everyone-PCOS and need support

Options
Hi everyone- I have been trying to use MFP alone and have had no success, mainly because Im not accountable to it and don't have much of a support network. I have been struggling with PCOS-like symptoms for 7 years, but recently doctors think it may be ovarian failure. Im 30 and struggle with issues of emotional eating and sugar cravings. Its also very difficult to lose weight having these hormone issues. Recently my problems have really aggressively surfaced with hair loss, hirsutism, cellulitis- I can barely recognize myself anymore. I love when I go out to eat and watch a friend eat a hamburger and know that if I ate that way...... well forget it! I hope to make some MFP friends and support community
- Thank you

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your PCOS, what does your doctor say about it? Just reading a little bit about it, they say it is common in women, so there are probably others on this board that are battling it too. Weight gain is mentioned, but they also say that weight loss helps this condition.

For most of us on this board it's just calories in versus calories out.

Best wishes and good luck!
  • isiswulfmoon
    isiswulfmoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too so I feel your pain. I was diagnosed when I was 21/22 and started my weight loss journey about 4-5 yrs ago (I will be 31 this Jan). Losing weight w/ PCOS is difficult as we have to give more than 100% but it can be done. My highest weight was 220 and my lowest was 160 lbs. I had gained weight over two months, long story, so from 182, im down to 174. Definitely want to go back to 160 as my jeans dont fit me and I refuse to buy a size up. I find It harder to lose weight now as it is coming off slower than usual, it may be my age. However, what worked for me is the paleo/caveman diet, shakelogy (vegan) and raw vegan diet (this one is intense). When I first lost my 15lbs in a month, i was doing about 80/20% paleo and exercising about 4-5x/wk. BTW, I still eat burgers but I make them w lean beef or turkey. Hope this helps!
  • meg_balh
    meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I have pcos, this past week. I'm at 240 and have been heavy most of my life. SInce I found out I have pcos I have been doing a lot of research and a lot of what I found is that weight loss does help. My OBGYN put me on birth control for the mean while to help control the symptoms but in the future I want nothing more than to have children. I am hoping that losing this weight will help with not only the things that come with pcos and balancing my hormones but also help me to get pregnant in the future. I am going to add all of you and hopefully we can help each other on this journey! :)
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also found out on Monday I have PCOS. I'm 5'6'' and weight 252 pound (yikes!), At just 28, I'm kind of freaked out because it's the first time I've seen my weight having direct consequences to my health, and I do hope to have kids some day. Like Meg, I've been put on birth control to help take care of my acne and some other symptoms, but the best thing I can do is lose a significant amount of weight. I would also like to add some friends for support. Feel free to add me :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you haven't yet done so, have a look at the PCOS groups on here. Here's one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • arevikam
    arevikam Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi everyone
  • sarah72085
    sarah72085 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I've been struggling with my weight my whole life. It's very hard to be the "fat friend" all your life. It's even harder to lose weight when your on your own and don't have any one in your corner cheering you on.