Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Appetite changes with medicine?

So in spring 2011, I began taking birth control. Combination pill. Supposedly most people gain weight on the pill - I started losing, almost immediately. Dropped 20 lbs in the first two months. In June this year, I stopped taking the pill (personal reasons, not related to babymaking)... And my appetite soared. Like, eating entire bags of cookies, giant plates of food, and not feeling sated. I was always hungry. Always. Over the past half year, I've regained 30 lbs that took me the past year, two years to drop.

So about two weeks ago, I had the birth control implant put into my arm. Again, my appetite is changing. I ate one medium sized plate of food for dinner two days ago... and actually felt sated. Like I had eaten enough. It's a feeling I haven't had in way too long without also feeling like I stuffed myself like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Is it normal for medication to change your appetite like this? And now I'm kind of worried about the next time I decide to stop taking birth control. They're hormone based - should I go get my levels checked out now to find out if I have an imbalance somewhere?

Any input is appreciated! :sweat_smile:

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    That is a very interesting result that was repeatable in your case. From a Google search it seems about 50% gain and 50% lose weight when taking the combination pill. Clearly why some gain/lose weight is more complex than once thought.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    I cannot speak for birth control pills specifically, but it is completely normal for some medications to affect your appetite. I have had to take several (over the course of years) that adversely affect mine. Your hormones should be perfectly fine; something inside of the medication is probably affecting your normal ghrelin/leptin levels.

HTH.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    If you're concerned, talk to your doctor and get checked out. I have the exact opposite reaction to hormonal birth control - I gain weight. The hormones screw up my signals something fierce, and I end up having PMS-style hunger all month long, eating more, and gaining weight, along with a host of other unpleasant side effects.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Well, observing my daughter's pregnancy where she was nauseous throughout, I found out that an abundance of maternal hormones will have that effect. Good for the baby, tough on the mother.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Thanks for all the input guys! =) I appreciate it. I think I'll just talk to my Dr about it when it's time to get the implant changed out since it's not a problem right now...
  • BigAl_2
    BigAl_2 Posts: 85 Member
    I got the nexplanon implant in September and haven't had any noticeable changes in weight/appetite although I did have constant headaches at first which went away after about 2 months. Maybe once your body adjusts to the hormones you will have a similar response with your appetite? Some changes are normal though and I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you see dramatic changes that affect your health.