So...I want to start lifting weights

Options
I have been going to a HIIT gym (Orangetheory) for the past 8 months or so and have really fallen in love with weight lifting, the heavier the better! Because of the cost of the gym, I have been considering moving to a regular gym, but wouldn't have a trainer to direct me through a weight lifting program. I also want to get started on using plates, but beginning on those equipment is super intimidating to me, especially not knowing what to do around a bunch of giant weightlifters. I don't have the cash to afford a personal trainer, and their isn't anyone available to to go to the gym with me. I will be all on my own. Can someone help with getting me started in a gym?!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Look into:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    or
    New Rules Of Lifting For Women
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Look into:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    or

Read the NROLFW even if you dont follow it. Itsa good book to read.

Theres also Strong Curves, Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass, and ICF 5x5

• redsoxmj
    Options
    I've been looking into 5x5, but I'm just worried about how to actually use the machines, how to load the weight on the bars, equipment etiquette, how to use a squat rack, how to maintain form if I'm not working out with anyone else and things like that.
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    And how much weight to even begin with?! I only lift with free weights now, upper body between 12-25lb per weight, and lower body between 20-40lb per weight. Where is a good starting point when using a bar?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That to learn good for. you can never do to much technic work. . Okay. That's not true. You CAN do to much technical work if it means you're not progressing upwards but really start with the bar and then add slowly from there.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    redsoxmj wrote: »
    I've been looking into 5x5, but I'm just worried about how to actually use the machines, how to load the weight on the bars, equipment etiquette, how to use a squat rack, how to maintain form if I'm not working out with anyone else and things like that.

SL doesn't use machines at all.

Ask someone for help and watch form videos. You'll start with the bar for all the lifts. If its too heavy, use the fixed weight bars or dumbbells.

Theres a group here for SL. "Stronglifts 5x5 for Women"
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    The gym that is the one of the closest ones to my house, that I have checked into joining, if not intimidating enough, also is the same gym Phil Heath works out at. Being around all those people at the peak of their physical abilities will really motivate me, but getting started is just freaking me out!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing New Rules and it is a great introduction into lifting. There is a new rules of lifting for women forum on here that is really good and the girls are helpful. The book is really has a lot of great info and any exercise that you are unsure of you can look up a video on it on youtube to be sure that you're doing it correctly but for the most part I didn't need to to that.
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    Thanks guys! I ordered the New Rules book and just joined those groups. Hopefully I can find the answers I'm looking for!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - really you just need to find a program, learn the lifts and forms, and get into the gym and start doing it…no one can make you take the last step but yourself…and honestly, when i am in the gym and see someone new I am not thinking "oh look at this newb that does not have a clue as to what they are doing" …honestly, 90% of the time I am focused on my lifts, and the other 10% I am just chilling…what everyone else is going never really enters my mind...
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    I'm also been away from the gym about 2 1/2 weeks now. I had surgery on my knee, so once I get back, I will be going really slow. Right now, I'm not even able to hit parallel on even 1 squat. With the etiquette, is it ok to just go up to someone and ask how to use a machine? Or should I not bother anyone? If I do ask, who do I go to? Someone in the gym working out, or someone that works at the gym? I feel like such a dummy! When I used to go to a regular gym, I would just do the elliptical, and maybe some of the sit up machines, some free weights and leave. Now, I'm serious about doing this, I want the big defined muscles, but I don't know how!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    redsoxmj wrote: »
    I'm also been away from the gym about 2 1/2 weeks now. I had surgery on my knee, so once I get back, I will be going really slow. Right now, I'm not even able to hit parallel on even 1 squat. With the etiquette, is it ok to just go up to someone and ask how to use a machine? Or should I not bother anyone? If I do ask, who do I go to? Someone in the gym working out, or someone that works at the gym? I feel like such a dummy! When I used to go to a regular gym, I would just do the elliptical, and maybe some of the sit up machines, some free weights and leave. Now, I'm serious about doing this, I want the big defined muscles, but I don't know how!

The machines will have instructions written right on them in most cases. Even if not, you can simply google whatever machine it is and watch videos on how to use it. Youtube has about 80000000 videos for every single move out there.

If you're just talking free weights then again, youtube has everything. Mark Rippetoe has a lot of good beginner videos out there (or you can buy his Starting Strength book which has hundreds of pages on proper form, I recommend it highly, it's what I used to get started).

If you have to ask someone for help, make sure they aren't actively doing something (catch them between sets). Pick the biggest, strongest looking dude in there. They are usually the nicest guys and let's face it, what guy doesn't want to help a woman who's interested in weight lifting? You'll have 10 guys jumping at the opportunity.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on the Stronglifts website. There's a lot of good videos explaining the movements and form. Use the smartphone app to track your workouts, as it does all the math and timing for you. As a newcomer to lifting myself, I've found the program pretty enjoyable, which makes it easier to stick to.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is a great database for exercises, including videos:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Don't worry about the term 'bodybuilding'. It's not all about mountains of muscles. You can build your own.... =)

Happy lifting!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

I'm in the middle of reading this one. I love the book so far, though.