Remedies for stomachache?

Options
So like many, I over indulged the past two days. Not worried about the calories though since I'm working the rest of the holiday week, and therefore the indulgence will end. I do however have awful stomach pain :(. Too much "rich" food in such a short time. Usually I drink peppermint tea to sooth stomach aches, but even after drinking two cups, my stomach is still revolting. Anyone have any home remedies that you rely on/work for you when stomach hurts from over eating? I prefer "home" vs medication options due to allergies (I don't trust most drug companies). I can't use any remedies that include wheat, barley, oat (even if gluten free), gluten or red dye.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a wonderful holiday week :).

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I was going to say mint tea

Go for a walk that can help
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I was going to say mint tea

Go for a walk that can help

Mint tea usually does help when my stomach hurts, but for some reason isn't doing much :(. I think the ache is more so in my intestines, not originating in my stomach since I'm having "loose" stools (which is kind of funny since last week I had been asking/complaining about not being able to go lol).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    club soda? lemon juice? ginger tea?
  • mollyr0425
    Options
    make a tea using fresh giner (i use a cheese grater to grind it up), lemon juice, a bit of honey and hot water. This fixes everything for me!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    if fresh ginger tea is not an option I find sucking on ginger lozenges or candied ginger helps a ton - as well as slowly sipping very cold ginger ale. Ginger works better for me than mint for upset stomach 100% of the time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea. If it's gas, baking soda dissolved in water actually helps a lot (check the directions on the box though!). But I agree with ginger if you have any (I never do, I hate the stuff).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mollyr0425 wrote: »
    make a tea using fresh giner (i use a cheese grater to grind it up), lemon juice, a bit of honey and hot water. This fixes everything for me!

^This. It's also great when you have a sore throat.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Pepto Bismol! I know you said you'd like a more homeopathic remedy, but the loose stool indicates what you initially thought was the problem. Your body is rebelling against all the rich foods you just put into it. Until you clear it out, you're going to feel discomfort. So whatever it takes to clear you up of the food, is what you should take.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mint, ginger, chamomile can be stomach soothing.
    Eat things like bananas, papaya, bland foods, applesauce, or plain yogurt with active cultures until things clear up.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    if fresh ginger tea is not an option I find sucking on ginger lozenges or candied ginger helps a ton - as well as slowly sipping very cold ginger ale. Ginger works better for me than mint for upset stomach 100% of the time.

Unfortunately ginger actually makes me nauseated. I think it is because when ever I was sick, my mom would give us ginger ale. I associate the taste with vomiting. I can't even drink ginger ale anymore.
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Pepto Bismol! I know you said you'd like a more homeopathic remedy, but the loose stool indicates what you initially thought was the problem. Your body is rebelling against all the rich foods you just put into it. Until you clear it out, you're going to feel discomfort. So whatever it takes to clear you up of the food, is what you should take.

I can't take peptobismol.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    all above, and ginger ale in a pinch
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You can get ginger capsules if you don't like the taste. Just swallow them like any pill. It's what I go to, unless it's bad enough to need something stronger.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sleep it off.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    and the all time favourite - water. Hope you are feeling better in time for Christmas.
    Yay it is Christmas here already. :D
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in letting nature run it's course, but when that isn't convenient, I'll take a Pepto or Immodium. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water and a walk usually do it for me.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you're having loose stools, you may eaten bad food. When i overindulge i tend to get constipated/bloated/nauseous/sleepy/etc. I only get loose stools when i eat bad food, or something my body doesn't tolerate, like gluten. So i suggest that you double check the things that you ate, just to see if you had anything that could of potentially been bad! Merely an idea, since something could of been left out at a party and whatnot. :)

For me, nausea is usually helped by ginger and peppermint. Irregularities and upset tummies are usually helped by ginger, peppermint, licorice and Good Belly/probiotics (Good Belly is merely what helped me - but you may need something else right now; if your flora are screwy from something you ate).

If you think it's merely something you ate and nothing else works, try Pepto!