Unable to set target of 91lbs?

Options
Lara_z
Lara_z Posts: 94 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have been trying to set up just target goal. I currently weigh 105lbs and my target is 91lbs. However the app will not let me set this as a target. Anyone know why?

Replies

• xtna97
    Options
    it's probably below what mfp considers a healthy weight
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Because this is a health and fitness website and 91lbs, generally speaking, is not a healthy weight for an adult. I started out on mfp around that weight (my goal has been to gain) but they've since done away with the option of having a target or start weight that low.
  • JazzFischer1989
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lara_z wrote: »
    Who is questioning what this site is? Did I state this is not a health and fitness site?
    91lbs is a healthy for me and a weight I am happy with.
    I have always been around the 85-90lbs mark despite eating a high calorie, high fat, high sugar food. Since giving birth via C-section in August I currently weigh 105lbs and this is without a healthy diet and no exercise.
    I have fat and flabs in places that is not normal.
    Just because a weight is not healthy for others does not mean it is not healthy for me either.
    We are all different.

I understand that and I wasn't accusing you of not knowing this is a health/fitness website. I'm trying to explain the rationale. Like I said, generally speaking, it's not a healthy weight for an adult.

You seem defensive. I wasn't attacking you.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MFP won't let you set that weight because that would give you a BMI of 16.64. That's pretty underweight.

Being underweight is generally not considered healthy.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    MFP won't let you set that weight because that would give you a BMI of 16.64. That's pretty underweight.

Being underweight is generally not considered healthy.

I agree with this.
  • JazzFischer1989
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Who is questioning what this site is? Did I state this is not a health and fitness site?
    I have always been around the 85-90lbs mark despite eating a high calorie, high fat, high sugar food. Since giving birth via C-section in August I currently weigh 105lbs and this is without a healthy diet and no exercise.
    Just because a weight is not healthy for others does not mean it is not healthy for me either.
    We are all different.

I understand that and I wasn't accusing you of not knowing this is a health/fitness website. I'm trying to explain the rationale. Like I said, generally speaking, it's not a healthy weight for an adult.

Then why the need to point out this is a health and fitness site?

Because I'm trying to emphasize the fact that the main focus of this website is to create a pro-health environment. You're 5'2 so 91lbs is not a healthy weight, regardless of what you think.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    A normal healthy BMI range is 18.5 - 24.9.
    At 4'10" and 90 lb, a person would be at 18.8. Anyone taller than that would be underweight.
    At 105 lb, anyone taller than 5'3" would be underweight.

Plug in the numbers here:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Suggest you talk with your doctor/counselor to set realistic & healthy goals.
    If it's being flabby that's worrying you, increase your weightlifting (sets, reps, weight, days per week).
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    We are all different.

Then why the need to point out this is a health and fitness site?

Because I'm trying to emphasize the fact that the main focus of this website is to create a pro-health environment. You're 5'2 so 91lbs is not a healthy weight, regardless of what you think.

QFT

I am 5'2" and the healthy weight range is 101.2 - 136.7 lbs. You mentioned you have unwanted fat deposits. What about focusing on body recomposition instead of just weight loss?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't underweight.
    As mentioned above, despite eating junk mostly (about 2500 calories per day), I have always weighed about 6 and a half stones. And this is without ever doing and exercise. That's just how I am naturally.
    If I'd ate healthy and done exercise I would've easily weighed less than 84lbs.

It's since becoming pregnant I put on weight and just trying to lose that excess fat.
    And tbh, I'm not bothered about what the scales say. It's more about how my body is.
    And currently I have bingo wings, chubby face, big thighs and a flabby stomach. Therefore I can see I am overweight and need to lose this excess fat.

I just want to eat healthy and do a bit of exercise to stay fit. And if I manage that I know the weight will fall off very quickly.
    I joined this site hoping I could.find the motivation to do this.

For EVERYONE it is underweight, stop with the 'for me, for me'. Maybe a few pounds to account for the unreliability of BMI, but you are not a special snowflake and that is underweight for anyone of your height. You also cannot defy the laws of science. You were not eating 2500 a day at that weight - you can't be calculating that properly. If you are, then you have a medical condition, maybe hormonal or thyroid problems. It is not excess fat. There is no 'excess' fat when underweight unless you're skinnyfat, in which case you need body recomp. Lift heavy things. You have no pictures so we can't say for certain but at your weight it's not possible to have bingo wings, big thighs etc.
    Please get some professional help to assist with your distorted view of your body.