Unable to set target of 91lbs?

Options

Replies

• RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Maybe try posting in tech help. A mod might be able to help there or have some advice.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No one is attacking you.
    You asked why MFP wouldn't let you set that goal. Your getting answers as to why.

People here won't mind helping you get fit. However, people aren't inclined to help you get to a BMI of 16.6, because of the health risks associated with a BMI that low (sudden death for example).
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yea, it is unlikely that you will find anyone on MFP who will support you in this weight loss goal. Your aggressive responses are quite telling.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is no way at 5'2" and 105 you have big flabby legs and stomach. You sound like you have an unhealthy body image and I suggest some self help before continuing to lose weight.

However, if you wish to continue with your 91 lb goal, I guess you can get around it by saying right now you're 205 lbs and you want to get to 191. MFP will let you flub the numbers by putting that.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also, side note, if your goal is to be fit, why even worry about what the scale says?
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not sure why any one should help you when you are being so outwardly aggressive to anyone who is pointing out the reason why you can't set your weight so low.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options
    Also, side note, if your goal is to be fit, why even worry about what the scale says?

^Exactly. You should eat at maintenance calories and begin heavy lifting. I guarantee that you will achieve the results that you want. You will also likely put on a few lbs of muscle, which would be great for your health.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Exactly. And to say that you would weigh less with a healthy lifestyle is not necessarily true. Strong bones, muscle mass, healthy hydration levels...these all make the number on the scale go up, assuming the fat pounds remain the same. And I really doubt you have tons of fat pounds to lose.

We are not trying to attack you; we are just trying to help you recognize that trying to become healthy by concentrating only on the number on the scale may not be the best approach or what you are really after.

• NicoleisQuantized
    Options
    Lara_z wrote: »
    I have been 90lbs for the past 10 years.
    And my aim is not to reach a certain number.
    My aim is simply to be healthy. This means eat healthy and learn to do exercise.

OK, set your calories to maintenance. You mentioned you want to eat healthier. OK, eat more fresh fruit, veggies, lean proteins, nuts, fats... make sure to get enough protein, fat, and carbs. Don't deprive yourself of the food you like (try 80% whole foods and 20% of whatever else you like).

Start incorporating strength training. You can begin by doing body weight exercises, or if you belong to a gym, ask one of the fitness supervisors to teach you how to use the equipment in the strength training section. Start with small goals: go to the gym 3x a week for 30 min.

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Who is questioning what this site is? Did I state this is not a health and fitness site?
    91lbs is a healthy for me and a weight I am happy with.
    I have always been around the 85-90lbs mark despite eating a high calorie, high fat, high sugar food. Since giving birth via C-section in August I currently weigh 105lbs and this is without a healthy diet and no exercise.
    I have fat and flabs in places that is not normal.
    Just because a weight is not healthy for others does not mean it is not healthy for me either.
    We are all different.

I understand that and I wasn't accusing you of not knowing this is a health/fitness website. I'm trying to explain the rationale. Like I said, generally speaking, it's not a healthy weight for an adult.

You seem defensive. I wasn't attacking you.

Then why the need to point out this is a health and fitness site?

Because I'm trying to emphasize the fact that the main focus of this website is to create a pro-health environment. You're 5'2 so 91lbs is not a healthy weight, regardless of what you think.

QFT

I am 5'2" and the healthy weight range is 101.2 - 136.7 lbs. You mentioned you have unwanted fat deposits. What about focusing on body recomposition instead of just weight loss?
    Who is questioning what this site is? Did I state this is not a health and fitness site?
    91lbs is a healthy for me and a weight I am happy with.
    I have always been around the 85-90lbs mark despite eating a high calorie, high fat, high sugar food. Since giving birth via C-section in August I currently weigh 105lbs and this is without a healthy diet and no exercise.
    I have fat and flabs in places that is not normal.
    Just because a weight is not healthy for others does not mean it is not healthy for me either.
    We are all different.

I understand that and I wasn't accusing you of not knowing this is a health/fitness website. I'm trying to explain the rationale. Like I said, generally speaking, it's not a healthy weight for an adult.

You seem defensive. I wasn't attacking you.

Then why the need to point out this is a health and fitness site?

Because I'm trying to emphasize the fact that the main focus of this website is to create a pro-health environment. You're 5'2 so 91lbs is not a healthy weight, regardless of what you think.

QFT

I am 5'2" and the healthy weight range is 101.2 - 136.7 lbs. You mentioned you have unwanted fat deposits. What about focusing on body recomposition instead of just weight loss?

How does this recomposition work?
    I'm not bothered about weight loss as such. Just getting toned up and fit.

Then look up doing some resistance training and people might be prepared to help you rather than going for an unhealthy weight. If you do weights, then you can become fitter and stronger as well as significantly more toned but can also appear slimmer.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Body recomposition is modifying the ratio of fat and lean body mass.

Say you keep your calories at maintenance level. If you increase your physical activity through strength training, HIIT cardio, and other resistance based training you will lose body fat because you are creating a caloric deficit. Since you do not have a significant amount of weight to lose, I suggest a small calorie deficit to protect the muscle mass you currently have.

Those who begin a strength training regimen will gain a few pounds of muscle (referred to as newbie gains). HOWEVER, you cannot put on any significant amount of muscle while in a caloric deficit; you must have a caloric surplus to build muscle over longer periods of time.

For now, I suggest that you focus on eating nutrient dense foods and incorporating strength training exercise 3x a week that you enjoy.

PS. I should mention that body recomposition is a long term commitment. You will not achieve the desired results in a month.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used this calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

For a 5'2" 28 yr female who is 105 lbs and is active 4x a week, your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE, the amount of energy you burn a day, on average) is ~1650 cal. This would be maintenance calories.

However, if you do a lot of physical activity on a daily basis (walking, on your feet, etc...) this value will be higher. You have a better idea of what your activity level is than I do. Are you breast feeding? I ask because you mentioned a recent C-section. If so, your calories will need to be higher.

I strongly suggest that you buy a food scale. I have a feeling that you are overestimating your food intake.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options
    I can appreciate how difficult it is to begin a new eating and fitness regimen with a new baby. I think the best strategy is to prepare snacks and meals beforehand (where you know the calories per serving) that you can grab on a moments notice.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    WoW, Im 4'2 and although the Dr has said 100 is a "healthy" #, "ideally" I would like to be about 95 (if my body doesn't fight me on those last lbs).
    Youre taller than me...its hard to imagine someone being on the lower 90 spectrum at your height, especially wanting to weigh less than me at mine!