Anyone losing weight without the scale?

Options
I have a few questions for anyone losing weight without the scale.

1) How do you decide how many calories to eat?

2) What are some non-scale victories?

3) Any other helpful tips for weightloss without the scale ?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I weigh now, but lost about forty pounds without weighing myself.

1. I didn't count my calories, so it didn't matter.

2. They're exactly the same as if you count calories and weigh yourself. Clothes get bigger, people cheer you on or compliment you, etc.

3. Don't start weighing, lol. Once I bought that scale, I had to weigh at least once a day. I wish I'd never started because now I'm hooked.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh either once a month or when I go to the doctor. Same calories but I look at my macros. I try to keep my carbs low and make sure that most of the carbs I eat are coming from complex carbs and not simple "white" carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes and refined sugars. I also keep an eye on my sodium & sugar. I follow a 90% clean eating rule. I try and make sure as much of my food is as natural as possible. I don't eat artificial sugars. I look at how my clothes fit and how my body feels. When I weigh myself more frequently I start living for the scale. When I don't I make more sensible choices in terms of food and exercing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a food scale or weight loss scale?

1) I've never weighed my food and have lost 10.5kgs in a little over 2mths.

2) I weigh myself once a week. I want to be able to keep on top of any weight gain.
  • Ahcadul
    Options
    1. I NEVER weight myself unless I absolutely have to,and last time I absolutely had to was about 4 years ago.As for food,I don't weight that either,I rely on my intuition and common sense haha
    2. Clothes look good on me,I feel lighter,friends envy me,I'm finally not the chubby girl
    3. Do not weight yourself,it can be misleading,you could be losing fat without scale showing significant weight loss.Measuring tabe is probably more accurate,although I don't use that too because I know I'll never have exact measurements I want.Basically,if you feel lighter,clothes are getting loose and/or people are commenting,you are getting thinner,you don't need a scale to tell you that
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself to determine the results of what I have eaten. In my case on a high fat and very low carb (not at the Christmas dinner tonight however but did not pig out). Over eating just is not that easy to do like when I was on carbs. In fact tonight to get my stomach to stop making noises after the carbs it was not expecting I had a cup of coffee/chocolate with 500 calories of Fat (coconut oil) added to the coffee and now I feel much better. Eating bad makes me sad. :(

I plan to always weight twice every morning to make sure I am drinking enough water. No I do not carry scales on a road trip. I my case there should be at least two pounds different up to three pounds in my first weight and my second weight each morning when I get up. At night right before go to sleep I load up on water and weight as well.

Eating out rules out weighing the food. At home I will normally eat known quantities but again I monitor my weight to learn my net calories burned or stored.

Being an old male not on carbs my hydration stays about the same but I do monitor that every morning and evening on the Health O Matic scales that by magic computes my Body Fat%, hydration and BMI and the number of calories I need to eat that day to slowly lose weight.

Scales work if one works them otherwise they are worthless. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and have no interest in giving up the scale, but just in avoiding any weird neurosis about it. However, one additional thing that worked for me and would work well without the scale was buying some jeans in a couple or more sizes down (adjust for the amount you are looking to lose) in the same brand and style. Getting into each new one and having it fit perfectly was the NSV. I'm currently trying to decide if I should continue this and probably will.

It's important to use the same brand and style, of course, as size can be all over the place.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I used a scale to check the math of my exercise/calorie intake estimates while I was losing.
    It was motivating for me to watch the number drop and stay down, but I understood that fluctuations were going to happen from time to time so I tried not to stress when it didn't go as planned for the week. A scale is just another variable in the equation to me, it's good to take pictures and measurements too.

If avoiding the scale helps you in some way then I'm glad you've found something that works for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Which scale? bathroom or kitchen?
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    1. I only weighed every 2-3 months for the firt 5 months of weight loss. Since I didn't know my exact weight when I started MFP, I guessed and used the calories from there, updating the rare times I weighed.

2. My early goals were mostly exercise based; I could tell I was in better shape when I could complete a workout video that originally I struggled to get through the first minutes of. I also measured inches more often back then. I literally lost over six inches over the first two weeks from every area I was measuring.

3. Exercise has been key for me, not just for NSV's, but overall feeling and looking better. When I do get to a healthy weight, I will look very fit, not skinny fat. Also, choose reasonable weight loss goals; trying to lose too much too fast will cause you to burn out or stall.

Good luck!