Eating afterwork in evenings...

I work 12 1/2 hrs days.. 6:00am-6:30pm 2-3 days &then a cpl days off&etc.. i ve tried eating around4:30pm@work soo im not eating when i get home&before bed.. But im just starving when i get home&eat something good for me.. & then its like i need sweets.. ugh. I'd Healthy Choice Chicken Noodle Soup@4pm. got home i had small amt of green beans,little stuffing,hamballs,1slice of supreme pizza,milk,chocolate chips&then9 sandwich cookies.. O no! & i'd excerise this a.m... I drank 5 glasses of water today.. Help!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Meal timing and meal frequency are completely irrelevant to weight loss.. they only matter for personal preference.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Plan your work day around a satisfying dinner when you get home. For example, instead of "small amounts," have regular amounts of green beans, ham, . . .
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    I agree with everyone else. I eat most of my daily calories after work and before bed. Definitely won't affect your weight loss!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Meal timing and meal frequency are completely irrelevant to weight loss.. they only matter for personal preference.

BAM!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I know that I am hungry in the evenings, so I try to "save" more calories for that time of day.

How many breaks and meal breaks do you get in that time? I would recommend eating something before you start your shift (about half of a normal breakfast) if you are hungry and then the other half when you get your first break. Try to take your lunch late (1pm or later), and then eat dinner when you get home. This is just what I did when I was working shifts that started very early morning, but you have to figure out what works for you.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    I struggle to no go crazy with food when I get home as well! (I think that is what you are saying.) If it really bothers you, you may want to look at bigger meals at work. I know for awhile I was almost eating for my audience rather than following a plan. So I would get a really healthy, small meal at work and then I would be starving for dinner and would eat lots, too much. I have upped the sizes of lunches/snacks and tried to cut back the size of my dinners. Also, pick stuff that "sticks" - I try to consume a good amount of vegetables for lunch. Frozen veg (with no additives) is ideal because it will last forever in the freezer at work.

For the sugar cravings, try to cut back in your intake, especially of processed sugars IF IT BOTHERS YOU. It bothers me, so I cut back. I can tell when I have had more than usual because the cravings come back pretty fast.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    I experience the same thing, when I'm gone all day. I found that it's variety that satiates me in the evening. Like I'm trying to condence and concentrate all my relaxation and rewards into that dinner, after a long, long day. Knowing this tendency, I now plan to have something savory and something sweet, and maybe try to have enough calories for another small snack. Just try not to panic. You've identified the problem, now try different things (look at the suggestions above) and see what works for you. You have already accomplished so much!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I don't like nibbling into the evening. I find that eating a bigger breakfast helps with the day. It's hard at the beginning because you're afraid you won't have enough food left, but it actually works out better.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    ^^^this. I eat a huge breakfast, usually salmon, eggs, veggies. Carbs at lunch, snack on a piece of fruit and almonds late afternoon. Night, I don't snack, I have a large salad, or veggie soup, and drink herbal tea all night.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    thanks all for the suggestions.. theyre good1s&ive started eating more small meals, eat my lunch after1 try to eat when not hungry b4work a small cup of cereal i have on my way to work.. yes try to pack healthy meals.. &ya im trying not to starve myself to lose.. thanks all im impress w/the suggestoins! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat dinner at 8:30-9:00 most evenings...in bed by 10...no biggie. stop worrying about something that doesn't matter.
  • ok thanks cwolfman!:) i read your blog or on your profile.. wow sorry bout your dad.. congrats on your life change.. im sure it wasn't hard really to do especially when u were thinking of your dad.. sorry he didnt change his lifestyle b4he past.. sometimes we all have those bad habits&hard to change.. until something bad happens to us.. :(
  • Binotaur
    Binotaur Posts: 4 Member
    It may sound counter intuitive to weight loss, but found that having a cup of hot chocolate or mocha and 4pm kind of kills my appetite and sugar and fat cravings the entire evening and night that I completely skip dinner those days. In calorie count, I still win!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I'm unclear on what specifically you are concerned about OP. You work long hours, but do you eat during the day? What time do you get home after getting off at 6:30? Why wouldn't you eat dinner at that time? Are you concerned you are eating too much because your work day is long and you are so hungry by the time you get home and prepare dinner?

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i've found that I plan my daily calories around my evening bowl of cereal - its the first thing that goes in my log to make sure that i'm set