Nutrition help??

Options
Is it more important to stay within your calorie allotment or to stick with the fat/protein/carb ratio?

Replies

• thecountofsudan
    thecountofsudan Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal ....... assuming that you wanna lose weight then you have to be in a caloric deficit
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    Options
    It's pretty interchangeable, if you go over your fat/protein/carb ratio - you're going over your caloric amount
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to stay within all ranges. There are days I will go over on Protein but stay within my calories pretty much all the time. With the holidays I am going over on my carbs, darn cookies, but I do still try to stay within the calorie range.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's important to stay within all ranges. For example you could be eating fast food and staying within your caloric goal but not losing because you're going over on sodium.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For most calories are most important, macros secondary, micros tertiary. That's focus on weight rather than overall health. I think that while you could lose weight at a calorie deficit of only twinkies, in the long run it would hurt your health more than being 5 lbs overweight but eating healthy macros. I think I would also say you can't expect to hit a perfect 0 on every macro ever day of nothing under or over.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, you want to pay attention to calories. If you want to be healthy during the process, you want to eat the right about of protein.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your goals. I basically look at calories and protein and fiber. The fat/carb ratio doesn't really impact me as long as I make sure I eat some healthy fats every day (avocado, olive oil, nuts, etc.)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If your goal is to lose weight, you want to pay attention to calories. If you want to be healthy during the process, you want to eat the right about of protein.

Don't forget dietary fat. Muy importante. A lot of people go low fat when they diet. It can be dangerous and unhealthy.