What are foods high in protein that doesn't involve meat?

Options
I'm not a big fan of meat (it tastes nasty to me). Nor do I like eggs (they taste nasty to me, too). I tried Quinoa in several different recipes, I don't like the texture.

I eat Greek yogurt and Kefir sometimes but I still seem to lack protein.

Any tips or foods to try?

Heh. Sorry, I'm a bit of a picky eater...

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Do you eat seafood and fish?

cheese, beans, peanut butter, nuts
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Legumes
    Beans
    Nut butters
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Seitan
    Tofu
    Protein shakes
    Protein bars
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Veggie burgers
    Cheese
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This link has a list of decent protein sources, including vegetarian and vegan-friendly sources.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789
  • InvaderGashloog
    InvaderGashloog Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    Do you eat seafood and fish?

cheese, beans, peanut butter, nuts

I sometimes eat various types of seafood. It depends. The only kind I really eat are scallops and tuna.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Eggs - which are a whole protein
    Dried beans
    Quinoa
    Cottage cheese
    Soy milk
    Greek Yogurt
    Pumpkin seeds
    Seitan
    Almonds
    Peanut butter
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I'm low on protein or just need something filling, I make from-scratch pancakes and pack it with PB2. Tasty and full of peanut-buttery proteins but won't break the caloric bank.

From-scratch muffins, french toast (can you tell I like carby things? Lol), all can be made by sneaking in extra stuff like PB2, extra egg, protein powder if that's your thing. It helps for when you're picky, like me & my youngest kiddo.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Tofu, low-fat cheese has more protein than regular (Cabot brand) fish, chicken

I'm not a big quinoa fan either.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Seitan
    Beans/Lentils
    soy nuts/soy milk
    Veggie burgers. Ones that aren't pretending to be beef are usually better tasting IMO - black bean is particularly good
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Paneer, mushrooms
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    quorn.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Spirulina
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Legumes
    Beans
    Nut butters
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Seitan
    Tofu
    Protein shakes
    Protein bars
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Veggie burgers
    Cheese

This foods are good for health and also high in protein without meat.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nuts are NOT a good source of protein. People need to stop saying that. Heck even the 60 calorie bread slices that I buy are a better source of protein, seriously... Telling someone who's struggling to hit their protein goal to eat more nuts is pretty much insuring that they won't meet their goal. They're a good source of fat, not protein. Although PB2 is not bad as you get 4g of protein for 45 calories (as opposed to 9g for 180/200).

OP, do you like lunch meat? Ok it's often full of sodium and whatnot but it's not a bad alternative. I have them a lot in high fiber/protein wraps.
  • InvaderGashloog
    InvaderGashloog Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Nuts are NOT a good source of protein. People need to stop saying that. Heck even the 60 calorie bread slices that I buy are a better source of protein, seriously... Telling someone who's struggling to hit their protein goal to eat more nuts is pretty much insuring that they won't meet their goal. They're a good source of fat, not protein. Although PB2 is not bad as you get 4g of protein for 45 calories (as opposed to 9g for 180/200).

OP, do you like lunch meat? Ok it's often full of sodium and whatnot but it's not a bad alternative. I have them a lot in high fiber/protein wraps.

I tried lunch meat, I can only eat a small amount at a time before I get sick of it. XD Turkey is the only one I can actually stomach a full sandwich of.
  • DaveTimeKeeper
    DaveTimeKeeper Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    you will need to combine grains to make a protein,
    beans and brown rice, tempeh and tofu are also good with rice. mushrooms have more protein than beef of the same oz. amount,
    you might try adding peanuts to sautéed vegetables to add some protein also.
    green leafy vegetables also have some
    good luck
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Fish
    Eggs
    Some beans and nuts
    Soybeans have complete protein
    Veggie burgers, veggie "chicken"
    Tempeh
    Tofu
    Quorn, if you can get past the fungus thing (and the taste, which I'm still working on)
    Dairy, even extra in the Fair Life milk :)
    Anything with added protein

...I need to raise my protein and am trying to focus on adding bits of it here and there to spare me from having to eat too much meat or veggie-"meat". Just don't like the stuff.

If you don't like or have chosen not to eat meat, it's more of a challenge, for sure.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    try adding quinoa to soups. many find this more appealing.