Stronglift 5x5 questions

Options
Since it's impossible to search the 'Groups' to find the right people to ask this question I'll put it here:

I've started the Stronglift 5x5 program. On the overhead press I get to my 3rd or 4th set and start to fail. Should I continue at that weight until I can do all five reps and five sets, or should I keep adding weight every time?

Just FIY I've gone in his website and cannot find the answer. Thanks in advance for any feedback, especially advice that's backed by facts and not broscience. :wink:

Replies

• crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should not increase weight if you miss a single rep on any of the 5 sets for a given lift. If you miss a rep 3 different work outs in a row for that exercise you should consider de-loading by 10% and work you way back up.

It is in the FAQ section towards the bottom of the page

stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    and if you deload twice without breaking through switch to 3 sets of 5. I (and many others) struggle with press.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Decrease the weight until you can complete the full set and concentrate more on your form. Once you do this for a few sessions then begin adding weight at 5 pound increments. This is a journey not a race. You tube has an abundance of videos on proper form and technique.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've already had the answer. But I'm curious - why are you getting failures so early? Classic Stronglifts starts pretty light (generally just the men or woman's bar), so it should be at least a couple weeks before you really start pushing yourself. Maybe post your log?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    For the group: If you go to Groups and Browse Groups, I think the Stronglifts 5x5 women's group is still on the first page. We've talked about overhead press in particular a couple times so far, so check it out when you have a moment.

It's a tough one to increase on, even if starting at the bar or less. I started with a lighter set, a fixed bar lower than 45 lbs. However, when I got to 50 and happened to have a trainer help me working on form on a different lift, she had to fix my form so much with OHP I decreased in weight to work on that then worked up again. Some reason once I tried adding weight, my head did not want to be under the bar. Fixed now and I'm up to 60. Did 60 last time and will do 60 next time because I couldn't do the very last rep. However, won't deload unless fail again and I think I'll get it this next time.

Some are just more of a challenge to increase compared to others with the different lifts. I haven't had trouble with squat yet at all, but OHP and Rows (other issue on that one) are not as progressive personally. Plus diet factors a little (eating at a deficit and such).
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Drop back down to a weight you can do 5x5 of and work your way back up. Add in some incline dumbell press and tricep work if you aren't doing that. You might not think it will help directly with OHP but it seems to help me. It is also possible that you aren't getting enough rest between sets which is causing you to fatigue. There is no need to rush a workout. Lots of people say you have to weight 30 seconds or 2 minutes or whatever, just do what is comfortable for you. Lift when you are ready to.
  • kvocal
    Options
    I have found that warming up with much lighter weight increases your ability to lift heavier weights. Not sure if it's the warm-up or just a psychological thing but it helps me tremendously. My recommendation would be to try a couple of warm-up sets.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    kvocal wrote: »
    I have found that warming up with much lighter weight increases your ability to lift heavier weights. Not sure if it's the warm-up or just a psychological thing but it helps me tremendously. My recommendation would be to try a couple of warm-up sets.

This. Always make sure you're warmed up properly. Lots of people jump right into the meat of their workout without preparing their muscles and CNS.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I personally found some of the advice here:

http://www.allthingsgym.com/3-ways-to-increase-your-overhead-pressing-strength/

helped. Specifically the stretch reflex and squeezing my legs and core during the press. Plus it kept me mindful to have my legs locked and not use leg drive.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You guys are fanatic! I'll look at those sites (and recheck the faqs at the bottom of the page). Thanks for the great encouragement and the lead to the groups.

I started at the 45 lb. bar and it was at 50 where I started to get fails. Someone else suggested I video my form and check that I'm doing it right so I'll do that too.

Can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow!

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    OP, what did rtm did with regards to your question?
  • griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Check Mehdi's videos as well. Squeeze your butt on the pushup. Play with your hand placement. Press is definitely a slower progression for women. Maybe get some washers or plate mates to microload? Either way, happy lifting!
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Narrowing your grip will give you a bit more strength. Starting at 45 may be a bit more than you should have started. Check to see if you can get a 35 or lighter bar and move up from there. Mark Rippetoe has some great vids on this move. The bar ends at the back of the head rather than the front. It makes the move a bit easier. If you cant get a lighter bar, try dumbbells until you get stronger
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    +1 on both the smaller plates (1.25lb Olympic plates can be had quite cheaply on ebay -- that allows you to ramp at a 2.5lb rate instead of a 5lb rate -- very useful for arm work) and a lighter bar. A decent gym should have some women's Olympic bars around (33 lbs instead of 45), which gives you more leeway to work on form before hitting your failure point. The suggestion to narrow your grip also is spot on -- if you're gripping at the same width as your bench press, you're making it harder than it needs to be.