Why do I suck at losing weight?

Options
Whenever I try not to lose weight or don't really ever think about it, I do great. Like, just two weeks ago I had dropped 10 pounds for the first time in months. Then all of a sudden I gained six and then only lost 2 and am now stuck again. Whenever I try to think about dieting, and doing good being on track and staying healthy, I just seem to gain weight or not have a weight change at all. And then of course the worst part, I end up having a big dinner for some reason whether it be the holidays or a celebration or whatever, and I just get scared to check my weight again. Is 180-190lbs the life I'm meant to live? Am I never going to lose weight and sit comfortably at a good 120 pounds? I'm 5'2 by the way. That was supposed to be a bit on the jokey side.

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Log all your foods accurately (with a food scale ideally), maintain a deficit, and weigh in weekly at the same time of day after using the bathroom. Barring any medical issue, you should either see or feel progress within a week or two.

All the best to you! It is possible.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're being too restrictive with your food and it's hard for you to stay on track? It's important for me to allow myself any food, as long as I stay mindful of my portions.

Most of this year, I was "stuck" in the 180s (from January ro September I believe!) and now I'm reporting from the 160s! It's definitely possible, you just have to be focused!
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You kind of sound like you stress yourself out about it.
    Enjoy life. Be active. Don't eat too much.
    You don't suck at it. You just need to change your attitude about it. :)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said... and work at logging consistently, staying under your daily goals. (BTW Set your goals realistically, and don't set time limits.) Just keep working at it consistently, and you will see results.
  • safri77
    safri77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is not only about losing weight, most important is your body fat percentage and how you perceive yourself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Logging every bite, every morsel is the key. Seeing your progress on the diary is much more important than the scale because the scale fluctuates. Put your settings to lose one one pound a week because that is do-able. Forget about healthy foods. For now, focus on foods that you will put in the diary and will add up to calories that are under you daily goal. Some people find that eating fruit and veggies help them stay at their goal.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    As someone who has "stalled" after losing and stayed at the same weight +/- 5lbs for the last year an a half, I can say that if I'm completely honest with myself, it was due to poor tracking and logging. I had the best consistent losses when everything I ate was made by myself, weighed on my kitchen scale, and logged to the .00 gram. AND making sure I chose the most accurate seeming MFP food database entries (with multiple confirmations)

Logging meals or entire days in advance also help
  • 2015onmyway
    2015onmyway Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this. I have the EXACT same problem. I definitely don't want my destiny to be obese and unhealthy. I will definitely be using these tips. Thanks everyone!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I've been stuck right around 240 for approximately a month, just breaking down to 238 before Christmas and now back up. I'm 5'10" and have 60 pounds to lose as well.

What helped me break my semi plateau was increasing my exercise, drinking more water, and watching my portions a little more closely.

Consistancy is definitely key, but you have to enjoy the special occasions as well. I know that I have a way to go to get to goal, but am happy as long as my weight is on a downward trend. Afterall, to put things in perspective, 240 is much better than over 280!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Like, just two weeks ago I had dropped 10 pounds for the first time in months. Then all of a sudden I gained six and then only lost 2 and am now stuck again.

That's not weight loss, that's water loss (and (re)gain).

• xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and weight as you and I am stuck around the same numbers. I can't seem to get past 174, which was my lowest weight back in the summer. I'm now back up to about 189 and it seems like I just go back and forth. I'll be honest though, I don't weigh and log everything 100% and I know it's ultimately up to me. The comments were encouraging though. I just need to kick myself and get into a more serious routine!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Like, just two weeks ago I had dropped 10 pounds for the first time in months. Then all of a sudden I gained six and then only lost 2 and am now stuck again.

That's not weight loss, that's water loss (and (re)gain).

^This. Eat at a deficit, and you'll lose. It takes more than two weeks.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I know what your feeling, I keep going up and down. Definitely consider the fact it could be partly due to water weight!

I have several injuries and thought I would never be able to lose weight if I couldn't do exercise, boy was I wrong! I recently spend 2 weeks in bed hardly being able to walk and I lost 3.7 kg's!!! No jokes, all I did was lay in bed and watch TV, every now and then I would manage to walk to the bathroom and back and that was all I did. I logged my food and weight every bite I ate. Not being able to walk to the kitchen to often did of course help. I was amazed at how much I had lost and gained trust in the fact that I can do this without being able to exercise. Now of course due to Christmas and going back to work for half days I have gained some of that weight back again because it's harder to keep track of everything I eat (but not impossible). But I am doing fine, slowly I know I will be able to do this as long as I stay under my calorie goal.

And yes it is going to take time, and you will have bad days, but that is what your friends are for! Feel free to add me :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The main thing that will save you is to plan ahead of time to make sure you are keeping to your calories budget. Even if you want to eat at maintenance or have special occasions, plan for it. It takes time to develop habits. You just have to stick to it no matter what.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Suck it up.
    Don't think about 'dieting', think about eating at a deficit.
    Weigh and measure food and drink.
    Deny nothing; portion everything.
    Add a little strength training to help retain your LBM.
    Add a little cardio for heart and lung function.
    Don't make it complicated.
    Take baby steps.
    Happy holidays h.
  • holdenalarva
    Options
    Whenever I try not to lose weight or don't really ever think about it, I do great. Like, just two weeks ago I had dropped 10 pounds for the first time in months. Then all of a sudden I gained six and then only lost 2 and am now stuck again. Whenever I try to think about dieting, and doing good being on track and staying healthy, I just seem to gain weight or not have a weight change at all. And then of course the worst part, I end up having a big dinner for some reason whether it be the holidays or a celebration or whatever, and I just get scared to check my weight again. Is 180-190lbs the life I'm meant to live? Am I never going to lose weight and sit comfortably at a good 120 pounds? I'm 5'2 by the way. That was supposed to be a bit on the jokey side.

Girdt , what is your maintenance calories? You always have to start there. If you don't know, you will be spinning your wheels. If you know that 2000 calories is what you eat to stay at your weight, then that is the maintenance. Cutting weight should be done slowly around 15-20% less calories. So 2000 cals would then become 1600-1700 calories. Once you stop losing, you have to recalculate your maintenance calories again. The lower your weight, the lower your calories. I can get you down in weight using good and bad foods. No one food helps you lose weight. Clean eating helps you lose weight by default because calories are lower. You can easily lose weight on junk food as well. Body composition has nothing to do with hood or bad foods, it's calories. Fast food salads for example have more calories than some burgers. It's because oil is calorie dense and dressing has sugar. Some salads are over 1000 calories!! My rule is this. Find a diet that is sustainable and fits your lifestyle. If not sustainable, it wont be consistent. Sustainability breeds consistency. Also eat what you want in moderation. I'm a flex dieter and I don't have any food restrictions. I eat it all but I'm.accountable. I also skip breakfast to keep blood sugar level. If you don't lose weight on a deficit, check your thyroid. If you starve yourself, don't! The body is smarter than you and will sense a threat and slow your metabolism down and losing weight will be difficult. If you need assistsnce, I have a online coaching for a fee. I guarantee results.
  • AmberAntoine
    Options
    Yeah, same with me. I also noticed, whenever I think of loosing weight I can't but normally without having any specific plan I lose lots more than the planed workout and routine.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sorry but it doesnt sound like you are great at losing weight when you dont think about it. If thats the case then do a diet where you dont have to have any sort of mental discipline at all. It just sounds like an excuse from someone who doesnt want to commit and be organised enough to do what the vast majority do which is to deliver a consistent deficit by logging food and exercising or at the very least adopting a lifestyle where they burn more than they consume. Two weeks is bit long enough to tell you anything. Knowledge is your friend, put some effort into understanding how dieting and weight loss works.

If you dont wnat to log or weigh then try something like Paleo or 5:2, but you still need the mental disipline to follow a plan.
  • kalieahh
    kalieahh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just added you to my group, you should accept the request! Its a 100 day challenge! We will be motivating ourselves to commit to losing weight!!
  • Bekk927
    Bekk927 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well maybe dieting causes you to think about food more than you normally would which could cause you to eat more.
    Also if you are overly restrictive it could be making you hungry so that when you do eat you eat a larger amount.
    But I think what everyone else has said about water weight and checking your logging is probably more likely to help. Good luck :)