Starting over

Options
I was doing so well with my healthy lifestyle, but I am so far off track I don't even know where to start. I know my issue is the holidays and I have been eating my feelings. I have put on 5 pounds since Thanksgiving. I need to get back on track, which is why I am here. If you have any advice, I would love to hear it. I feel so lost at the moment.

Replies

• Tajk7
    Tajk7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Dont feel lost, just know there are others that feel the same. I understand how you feel too, I started Tae Bo and i lost three pounds with healthy eating. the thing is if you cut down instead of just clean eating with the tae bo you can lose weight. Just dont starve yourself of force yourself to do anything too tedious. Tae bo burns lots of calories so you will need to refuel.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Read the stickies in the threads for consistently good advice on weight loss.

I had a look at your diary and there are 0 entries so I assume its a new or alternate account.

How long have you been on your diet, whats your current weight, target weight, height and age? Also the amount per week/ deficit you were trying to run?

It helps understand where you are on your weight loss journey.

The following observations:

5lbs isnt a lot2-5 weeks weight loss. Its happened, but you cna easily undo it if you record consistent deficits. Dont panic.

You did need a strategy for how you were going to handle the holidays. 5lbs isnt a disaster by any measure. Dont beat yourself up about it.
    If it were me then id have a nice Christmas meal and then start replanning your weight loss journey. No idea how you conducted it previously. As we dont know what you have been doing or how its worked then its hard toadvise, so its just the very basic.

If you havent been loging your food, then thats the first step to using MFP properly. Loh all your food.

Weigh all your food to ensure you are at a deficit, especially if you get stuck and stop losing.

Manage your diet so it leaves you full and you make sure you eat at least 1200 a week.

Be consistent.

Have realiwstic expectations.

Start moving more and gradually increasing the amount and intensity of exercise. If you are unfit start with a short walk and build on that each week. Exercise has many benefits plus it also supports weight loss by burning calories.

What you need is simply to get the right mindset, have a bit of self confidence and just get the basics consistently right. You will then begin to lose weight again.

If you are going to comfort eat, then you need to have a word with yourself and find something else other than food for when you get stressed or feel sad. Preferably a non food solution.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for motivation and support :-)
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too, I've been in the 'starting over again' position, so I know how disheartening it is to see your hard work be undone
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You won't need to Start Over ever again if you don't quit!
    Seriously, everyone has bad days or weeks. Just take a look at why you didn't do what you should have, try to learn something, and get right back on track tomorrow.

I think the idea of enjoying your Christmas festivities and then getting back on track after is a great idea.

I don't know what exactly you mean by "healthy eating", but sometimes starting super simple helps to get you moving in the right direction. So put your stats into MFP, get a calorie goal, and just start logging your food to see where you currently are and what you need to fix. Sometimes we set so many rules up for ourselves that we ensure failure. Ultimately weight loss is all about calories in/calories out.

Don't be too hard on yourself and good luck :drinker:
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi

The best place to begin is at the beginning.

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 59 times. Not 59 pounds, all at once.

That kick to get it done comes from inside....

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of growth and progress, for which you should be commended. Take comfort in that.

The difference between MFP and everything else? If you adopt the mindset that its a lifestyle change & not a diet, the rest will fall into place.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

6.5 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and continue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

Knowing that plus the support I get from my MFP buds make enough difference that Ive lost 52 in 228 days without doing anything stupid. You just find what works and then hammer the crap out of it, staying in the present while doing so.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

You only get one chance to live your life.

FR on the way.

Fsunami
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i say just carry on. in no time the 5 pounds will be off . remember never ever quit. good luck . x
  • jojomcy
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I fell off the wagon because my source of motivation wasn't there. I'm having a tough time picking myself back up. I gained all of the progress I made back. If you're looking for someone to climb back on that wagon with you add me. Or whatever it is you do around here.
  • harryt678
    harryt678 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have read your post and I am right there with you! I am in the complete same boat and I have said to myself that I won't let the holidays get the best of me in terms of not being able to lose weight but gaining weight! I have just joined but so glad that I did, a friend of mine told me about this app/site and it has been a good first start. I look forward to making friends, supporting and motivating each other through this journey. If anyone would like to add me, they are most welcome!