Advice for starting over

Options
dawn_70
dawn_70 Posts: 10 Member
Does anyone have any good advice for starting over and making it stick this time? I want to lose weight but struggle with staying focused and not getting bored.

Replies

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mix it up. Find workouts and healthy foods that you like. Throw out your snack foods. Get smaller dishes (seriously, this one is so big to me). Only cook enough to eat, not to have leftovers. If you do cook more, pre-portion it all out into freezable containers for future meals.

If you get in this rut of "I have to eat xxx every day" and "I have to do xxx exercise every day" you're going to fail. If you find moderately healthy food that you like, eat it more often!

I very much dislike vegetables. I cover them with cheese >:)

ETA: it's not something that you do until you're happy with your body... We're talking lifestyle changes. Get your friends and family involved; they'll be one of your biggest assets in accountability!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same things too. I recently joined a weight management program through my job that requires I go to the gym a certain number of times each month, log my food, and make progress otherwise I am dropped from the program. I have to pay a reduced gym fee, but I get the help of a personal trainer and dietician as I work towards my weight loss goal.

I am trying to change my way of thinking by establishing healthy eating habits and an exercise routine. I think that by not focusing on how much I have lost and concentrate on establishing better habits I will reach my ultimate goal. I have written down my goals for this year and they include things like cooking healthier meals each night and eating out once every two weeks instead of three or four times a week. Packing healthy lunches instead of eating out for lunch. Taking my dog for a jog-walk every night and trying to exercise for 20 minutes in the morning to prevent putting it off in the evening when I get home. To participate in several runs throughout the year and trying to better my time in each one.

I am only going to weigh in once a month when I have to for the weight management program and take body measurements too and based on my results I am going to reward myself with little rewards for doing well. I am thinking new clothes, or weekend trips to some places nearby.

If you want to add me you can and we can try to support and motivate each other.

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Make small, gradual changes to your eating and workout habits.

Do workouts that you actually enjoy.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Find something to look at every day to remind you of your goals. For me, it's success stories and before/after pictures of others. I also keep my goals fresh in my mind throughout the day and make choices that get me closer to them.

I think seeing progress is the biggest motivator for me. Once I see the changes, I'm hooked!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi

The best place to begin is at the beginning.

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 123 times. Not 123 pounds, all at once.

That kick to get it done comes from inside....

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of growth and progress, for which you should be commended. Take comfort in that.

The difference between MFP and everything else? If you adopt the mindset that its a lifestyle change & not a diet, the rest will fall into place.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

6.5 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and continue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

Knowing that plus the support I get from my MFP buds make enough difference that Ive lost 52 in 228 days without doing anything stupid. You just find what works and then hammer the crap out of it, staying in the present while doing so.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

You only get one chance to live your life.

FR on the way.

Fsunami
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    MFP really helps, because you can find active friends who will congratulate you on meeting your goals and challenge you to challenge yourself. Keeps it fun and interesting and motivational.

This is about me, not you, but when I used to say I found it boring, what I meant was I didn't want to limit my intake of sugar, didn't want to have to say no to myself over cravings, didn't want to do workouts, etc. Just wanted the results.

The fact is, we have to run a calorie deficit for a significant amount of time to lose weight. It's not easy, but it CAN work well as a way of life - not a diet. MFP friends helped me keep the focus. Sending a FR your way and wishing you well - you CAN change your life, one choice at a time!
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You may find some of the tools here helpful excelatlife.com/articles/thinkingweight.htm The audio's are good. The Cognitive Diary/Happiness apps are very good. Disclaimer: I have no connection with the site and no financial interest.
  • Staci387
    Staci387 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I start to fall off track, it helps me a lot to think of my diet/fitness plan as a whole, rather than only focusing on that particular day. Although taking things a day at a time is generally advisable, if I fall off track & eat poorly one day, I tend to give up for the day & eat whatever I want that day.

However, if I view that day as part of a whole plan, it helps me stop gorging. I realize that the damage I do today, will damage my entire diet plans; I don't get a reset tomorrow, so I should stop causing damage today.

These type of events are usually what precede me falling off the wagon, so mitigating splurges helps me stay on track. Hope it helps. :)

• Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here! Feel free to add if your looking for more support!
  • unity123
    Options
    Hi everyone I am 32 looking drop 20 pounds and keep it off..who is with me on this weight loss Journey?
    Add me unity123
  • dawn_70
    dawn_70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone great advise :)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You need good support system and you need to lo everything you eat and drink

I havent just started but anyone is welcome to add me as a friend but these are a must for me.
    you log regularly on mfp
    you give support back for the support you receive form me
    that you comment on post and do not just use the like button
    good luck on your journey
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me, it was reasonable goals, and one step at a time. I started back with logging all food and drink every day. My calorie goal was and still is a reasonable one - nothing too extreme or restrictive, which leads to failure most of the time because it sucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Same with exercise - find something you like, and start small, do what you can, making time for it, but don't make it dominate your day. 30 minutes a day of something you can stick with is better than going gonzo trying to get 90 minutes and dreading it, or having it take away from other parts of your life.

And look at it overall as a lifestyle change - eating well and staying active is part of me, it's what I do now. I still have days where I'm over cals, I still enjoy burgers, sweets, alcohol and all my favorite foods, but not every day. I have days where I miss a workout, it happens, and it's okay - life is busy, sickness happens, or sometimes you just need a break. No shame, no guilt, it's one day, or even if it's a week, not a big deal - you just go back to it as soon as possible, because it's what you do as part of your healthy, active lifestyle. :smile:

I have lost the weight and maintained my size and habits for nearly 3 years now. I still have goals, I would still like to lose a bit more body fat, but the habits are in place and I continue on, striving for new goals in strength and fitness. I'm healthier and stronger at 46 than I ever was in my 30's!