I officially have to lose half my body weight!!!!!!!

Options
At 16 I was 10st, had no self esteem, no confidence and never felt good enough.....
Now I am 45, weigh 21st and completely understand myself thanks to counselling and antidepressents.
Unfortunately over the years I have come to rely on food and now alcohol......
I have a long road ahead I know this and I know only I can do this and I am ready......
Has anyone else been where I am?
Despite a really dead 5 years I have learnt what life is all about and want my body to be able follow where my heart and head want to go xxx

Replies

• melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have to lose only (only!) 30% of my weight, but I gained it for similar reasons and am a similar age. So I relate. I think you may be surprised by how easy it is to lose weight when you have your head sorted. I've failed so many times in the past because I wasn't in the right place mentally. Now that life is (mostly) good and I'm not fighting any demons, I'm finding it much much easier to do what's right for myself.

You can do this. It's nothing compared to overcoming depression and other major life challenges.

• Lolalaughs
    Options
    Weight gain seemed inevitable to me as I watched my older family members get heavier. I think sometimes our families attitudes to food influences our bad choices. This isn't just an excuse. Party potatoes remind me of a deceased relative so I was tempted to prepare them for the holiday. Then I realized how careless I have been with my own body. If we don't love ourselves, who will?
    I guessed at my weight tonight based on my last doctor's appointment but I have about half to lose. I have so many health related issues that will only get worse if I stay on what is a very unhealthy road. It is great to see other people making positive changes in their lives. Nothing is impossible!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Many of us are in the same boat for one reason or another.

Just go for two stones and then keep it off for six months. If you can do that you can go all the way over time. If you can not or will not do that then you know to give up the idea of losing the weight.

My food choices have evolved as well as my approach to eating lifestyle after I got started. In my view you are relative young and just 2 stones a year will get you there by age 50. Fast loss is often easy to regain. Just keep inching down over time does the job.

Best of luck this time.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi misslove36.....add me as a friend! I too have been in the same boat as you. Due to different family traumas during my life, I've gained a lot of weight 4 separate times, and now for the forth time I've lost 14 stones again. It's difficult doing it once, but 4 times you'd think I'd learn a lesson from it? I'd like to talk to you more ...as there's lots to tell you what I've learnt and how to trick your body into not feeling hungry. Once you've conquered that the diet is much easier. I'm 56 now 5 feet 2 inches, I did weigh 24.3 stones, and got down to 10.7 stones. I have gained 2 stones in the last year due to having a knee operation and being off my feet, but 2015 will soon address those 24 pounds. If I can do it, then you can too! don't give up hope. There are some pictures of me- before during and after in my profile look at them, that will be you in 24 months time.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was where you are two years ago. There are many many people people on this site that are living proof that it can be done. Use this app, and count your calories. Forgive yourself when you fall off the wagon and don't use it as an excuse to quit. When you have a long way to go it can seem overwhelming, make small goals. Buy a kitchen scale, weigh and measure everything. Check these message boards, for some great information. I dont know how to link it, but one great one is called "Your guide to get yoou started on your path to sexy pants." Be resolute.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Focus on healthy food ... as close to it's original form as possible.
    Cook and learn low fat cooking techniques.
    Cut out alcohol. It is not your friend & you'll probably drop a good # of pounds/stones without doing anything else. I dropped 20# within my first year of abstinence.
    Log, exercise & mentally prepare yourself for a new you. Best wishes.
  • vickip98
    vickip98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also need to lose half my body weight. I am 49 years old and I look back to when my husband and I dated in high school & remember that I weighed 130. Wow. That was an entire person ago. I jokingly tell him he got 2 of me for the price of 1.

Various things have happened through our lives to cause fluctuations in weight. I love food. The smells, the textures and of course the taste. I also love to cook. One of my brothers once told me that if I described cardboard the way I describe food, people would look at it as a new food craze.I could have people all around eating it as if it were a tender, juicy rib eye or a moist, sweet & decadent cake. Gift or curse. . . I have no clue, but I must for not only my self, but my husband, kids and grandchildren make a shift in how I cook.

I have always had the mentality that I don't know how to cook healthy and healthy doesn't taste as good so why bother. But our youngest daughter is teaching me that is not true. I can cook healthy and it does taste amazing. We don't have to deprive ourselves if foods we have loved over the years. We do however need to make wise decisions about how much is enough and when to eat it.

There is life and death in the power of the tongue and I want to start speaking new life. I don't want to look back this time next year and regret not doing anything. So, the journey begins.
  • ashbuch1980
    ashbuch1980 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gotta lose half too ...actually a little more than half to fit on that stupid chart from the Dr's office lol. I have no intention of getting THAT skinny tho. It seems like such a long road when you have that number looming over you BUT we can do it! We have to!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You are only 45! I wish I had addressed my weight and drinking then instead of waiting until I hit 50. I dumped the alcohol completely - best decision ever - then lost the weight. I wanted to be healthy as well as lose weight I feel like a new person and so will you. I wouldn't think about the half your bodyweight thing - even a couple of stones off and you will feel so much better! Then you can set a new goal. Take care of yourself and put yourself first, and you can do this. :)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Was there in August 2013. Currently lost 54.4% of my total body weight going from 432lbs to 197lbs (235lbs down). one day at a time.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    My goal listed would be 45%, but I'd like to go lower. I've been at this for two years on 12-29 and am down 79.6 lbs. It's definitely doable, one change at a time, and I am so much healthier now, at 50, then I was at 35. Feel free to add me, anyone else can too.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I think of it as.. I weigh the equivalent of an average 4-5 person family. I have lost 2 children, and now working on a spouse :P hahaha Gotta have fun with it, I think.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have lost about half my body weight and currently working on maintaining and improving fitness. I went from about 285-290 to my current 145.

Feel free to add me if you like. I still log daily.
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    santd wrote: »
    Hi misslove36.....add me as a friend! I too have been in the same boat as you. Due to different family traumas during my life, I've gained a lot of weight 4 separate times, and now for the forth time I've lost 14 stones again. It's difficult doing it once, but 4 times you'd think I'd learn a lesson from it? I'd like to talk to you more ...as there's lots to tell you what I've learnt and how to trick your body into not feeling hungry. Once you've conquered that the diet is much easier. I'm 56 now 5 feet 2 inches, I did weigh 24.3 stones, and got down to 10.7 stones. I have gained 2 stones in the last year due to having a knee operation and being off my feet, but 2015 will soon address those 24 pounds. If I can do it, then you can too! don't give up hope. There are some pictures of me- before during and after in my profile look at them, that will be you in 24 months time.

I look forward to talking to you more and learning from you
    Thanks x
  • Misslove36
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    I think of it as.. I weigh the equivalent of an average 4-5 person family. I have lost 2 children, and now working on a spouse :P hahaha Gotta have fun with it, I think.

I like your thinking
  • Misslove36
    Options
    You are only 45! I wish I had addressed my weight and drinking then instead of waiting until I hit 50. I dumped the alcohol completely - best decision ever - then lost the weight. I wanted to be healthy as well as lose weight I feel like a new person and so will you. I wouldn't think about the half your bodyweight thing - even a couple of stones off and you will feel so much better! Then you can set a new goal. Take care of yourself and put yourself first, and you can do this. :)

I have now got a car so I will be driving to work everyday, this means that there will be no drinking during the week which is good
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Just do it bit by bit. Viewing it as one target is just too daunting.

^^^This. I have/had about half my body weight to lose as well. I've now lost 60 pounds, and I still have, at the very least, 60 more pounds to lose. I have learned not to look at those big numbers. Take it five pounds at a time, 10 pounds at a time, or simply day by day. Whatever works for you. I try never to look any further ahead than ten pounds at a time because ten pounds, hey I can lose ten pounds. I've done it six times already. :)