Diet Dr. Pepper

Options
I admit, I'm an addict. I love love love it. I have at least 1 a day and try to keep it at that but sometimes have 2. I know that cokes are bad but I figured since I was changing so much I needed to keep 1 thing that I wasn't sure I could live without.

I do drink water also, so it's not like I'm leaving that out but am I hurting myself drinking cokes?

What are the opinions around here on coke?

Replies

• Lauren882
    Options
    I admit, I'm an addict. I love love love it. I have at least 1 a day and try to keep it at that but sometimes have 2. I know that cokes are bad but I figured since I was changing so much I needed to keep 1 thing that I wasn't sure I could live without.

I do drink water also, so it's not like I'm leaving that out but am I hurting myself drinking cokes?

What are the opinions around here on coke?
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    so, are we talking Diet Dr. Pepper or Coke? or is this that Texas thing where everything is a Coke? ( no matter what the drink).

If your talking Diet Dr. Pepper, I think it's ok to have one, though water is better. Every now and then I really want something other than water. If your talking straight Coke, that's just liquid sugar and a bunch of empty calories that I would rather eat. :wink: Doesn't a regular Coke have something like 140 calories? That's a hefty snack in my book.

:drinker:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink soda...typically diet (but I am trying to get back to REGULAR....gasp....even with the calories). There are lots of studies being done about just what is going into these diet sodas and how it is affecting the body. I have seen research about it affecting the brain and how it sends signals to the types of sweetners causing cancer (only in animal testing so far).

Sodas as a whole aren't the best. Diet sodas are bad due to what is in them. Regular soda is rough due to what's in them (sugar). If it's TRULY something you can't live without and would push you over the edge....maybe slowly ween yourself off eventually. My motto, "Don't eliminate something you can't live the rest of your life without." Ironically, I am finding there are TONS of things I can live without that I didn't think I could. :wink:

Do it at your own pace. It's ultimately your choice.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Lauren882
    Options
    Sorry sorry! I only drink diet whether it's Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, whatever. I was born and raised in Louisiana, everything's called coke :tongue:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I went from 4 diet sodas a day to 1 a day and now I love to have 1 every few days. I drink water 99% of the time, but a soda calls to me some nights.

I think you're doing great! You've obviously knocked the habit down quite a bit. :happy:
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I love diet soda, but if it is in the house I will drink every last one. Diet root beer and diet dr. pepper are by far my favorites. Unfortunately they have to be bad for us, so I try to only buy a pack once a month. Hubby and I cut out alot of our bad (but oh so fun) habits when we became parents, so if our onlly remaining vice is artifical sweetner then so be it. :tongue:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I drink two diet DP's every day, down from 8-12 a day. I have to get my caffeine somehow and I don't like coffee or tea. I don't think that it is bad for you to have them, if they were as bad as people claim, my husband and I would have died from them many many years ago. We have both been drinking them steadily for at least 20 years.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Well - sodas are like a treat for me and I would say I average 1-2 a day but that's on top of my water intake. I figure it could be worse....

it's all coke here too! (in NC)
  • rwalden628
    Options
    I am also a fan. I gave up all caffeine a few months ago. It was hard at first, but I eventually got used to it. You'd be amazed at how reliant on it you can become.

And, I agree... everything is "coke"... what the heck is "pop"?

<memphis, tn>
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Sorry sorry! I only drink diet whether it's Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, whatever. I was born and raised in Louisiana, everything's called coke :tongue:

When I read your post, I knew you must be from around my parts! I think its ok to keep that one thing you enjoy, but I would try to limit how many. We can't eliminate all our little special treats, everything in moderation, even if it does say "Diet"!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I drink two diet DP's every day, down from 8-12 a day. I have to get my caffeine somehow and I don't like coffee or tea. I don't think that it is bad for you to have them, if they were as bad as people claim, my husband and I would have died from them many many years ago. We have both been drinking them steadily for at least 20 years.

I'm a Diet Pepsi drinker similar to this. It would be nothing for me to get 2 44 oz cups a day of the stuffm but now I try to limit myself to 1 or 2.
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do diet root beer and a regular coke or coke zero. But I drink 8 bottles of water a day so hopefully the drinks wont matter to much.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If this is the biggest "sin" you have to worry about, I'll nominate you for sainthood.

A couple of diet sodas a day are not a big deal. They are basically chemicals and not heathy, but as long as you get your nutrition elsewhere, it's not a big deal.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I figure if I drink my water intake, and eats lots of good grains, fruits, and vegetables, then I deserve a couple diet sodas :) I usually drink 1 with lunch and 1 with dinner.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

I was a Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr Pepper drinker in about the same quantities you formerly drank. At first, I dropped it down to just 1 with my dinner in the evenings. After a few days of water only, I couldnt handle the VERY "sweet" taste of them, so now I dont drink any soda/pop/coke. I was very surpised at how easy it was to stop drinking it, as I have been a Diet Pepsi drinker (LOTS OF IT) for about 30 years:noway: And I agree with what you said about if it were as bad as people claim, we would have been dead a long time ago!:laugh: And I know that it was my Diet Pepsi intake ALONE that got me fat...
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Oooops! I meant to say it WASNT my Diet Pepsi intake alone that got me fat....:blushing:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It's all REGULAR soda for me! I drink one coke/day and won't give it up for nothing:noway: It's about the only thing I've hung on to! I used to drink about 3-4 a day, sometimes I don't finish even 1 now, but at least I know it's there if I want it! Also, I went from a 12oz can to an 8oz can cutting 40 calories there!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I drink a Diet Dr. Pepper every now and then. It is funny though...I couldn't stand the taste of diet sodas before and would only drink regular. Then I started counting calories and realized how many of them were going to sodas so I switched to diet (that alone cut my numbers down because I didn't like them) Now, regular sodas are waaaaaaaay too sweet to me.

Just with anything else...you should be okay if it is in moderation and you keep your water intake up. :drinker:
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 or 2 sodas a week, recovering soda addict now addicted to water I ish I could drink the diet but I am allergic to the artificial sweetener (the only damned thing I'm allergic to). I think sodas are fine as long as you drink in moderation and you still get all your water. And watch your sodium intake, I know some sodas have a lot!!