Morning workouts

Options
The only way to get a work out in with my schedule is at 4:30am ( technically 4:45 am with snooze allowance and changing in to clothes). I'm struggling though finding the energy to do anything aerobic after my 1/2 hour on the treadmill. Any suggestions to get, what feels like peanut butter, out of my blood stream that early in the morning?
ps- I'm not good at going to bed early :(

Replies

• deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you because I am not a bright and early morning workout person. I manage to get to the gym between 8-9 in the morning. My friend said she started going to the gym around 4:30am and it took her a couple weeks to get used to it and now she has no problems. I do think she does get to bed before 9pm though.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I also do early morning workouts, about 5am. I find that I do approx. 50 min of running in one lump. When I do strength training it is first then I do the 30 min. of running. It gets my heart rate up higher and gets the dreaded weights out of the way first.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'm part of the 5am crew at my gym lol. For the first couple of weeks getting out of bed at 4:30 and out the door by 4:50am was just torture. Once I got into the habit of it, it became much easier. I take a preworkout before the gym (Either neon Volt or Cellucor C4) and that seems to wake me up quite a bit. I can't drink coffee that early in the morning or it will upset my stomach. You can try drinking a large glass of water also to try and wake yourself up. That seems to work for a couple friends of mine.
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think the (ice) water will help for sure! I think once the routine sinks in, that will really help also. I wish I was a runner, I attempted c25k a few times so it may be time to revisit that.
    Thanks everyone :)
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I workout at 4am. coffee is what gets me moving. By the time I take my dogs out and get myself changed, my coffee is ready. I have a set warm up routine. By the time I am done with warm and half a cup of coffee (yes I drink coffee while I workout) I am good to go. How long have you given this morning routine a shot? It took me about 2 weeks to really settle in to it and not be dragging butt all day.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love knocking out my workouts at 5am. I usually do weight training for about an hour, then some HIIT cardio for 15-20 minutes. After work (around 5pm) I just take the dog for a walk for some extra exercise.

I've honestly just gotten used to getting up that early. Coffee and caffeine does wonders :)
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I'm part of the 5am crew at my gym lol. For the first couple of weeks getting out of bed at 4:30 and out the door by 4:50am was just torture. Once I got into the habit of it, it became much easier. I take a preworkout before the gym (Either neon Volt or Cellucor C4) and that seems to wake me up quite a bit. I can't drink coffee that early in the morning or it will upset my stomach. You can try drinking a large glass of water also to try and wake yourself up. That seems to work for a couple friends of mine.

I also do this^^^^ i am not a coffee drinker but recently started taking a multi vitamin gummie called One a Day Energy. Each gummy is the equivalent of a cup of coffee....believe me they work lol. I rarely get 6 straight hours of sleep but i find it easier to workout early than later and once you get into the habit you will get used to it.

• mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'll have to give that gummie a try; I believe I took a gummie last year for my pregnancy. nice little treat ;)
    I haven't been at it long, about a week. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I set my clothes/shoes up in closet so I don't wake my husband too much. I need to start up the weight training too. I lost all my baby weight earlier this year by using MFP and then got sloppy. I'd like to stay where I'm at weight wise but work on tone and flexibility. I'm grateful for fitness blender and all of these other free video sites; I have a pretty good time with the 'ol kettle bell now.