How much water should I really be drinking?

Options
I've recently learned that how much water one should consume varies based on things such as weight, activity level, and so forth. (A little late to learning this, but it is what it is.)

Due to this revelation, I'm now concerned that I'm not drinking enough water. I've been aiming for 64 oz. a day, but I'm afraid that isn't enough. Does anyone know of an accurate calculator for figuring this out?

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Some people say you should drink 1oz for every two pounds of weight.

My doctor told me to not focus on how much I'm drinking, only to drink when I'm thirsty. I am training for a half marathon, if that helps judge my activity level.
  • NoSMGAdded
    Options
    This is going to depend on who you ask. Some say an ounce for every pound you weigh, an ounce for half of your bod weight, a gallon, til your pee is clear...what feels good? Listen to your body!
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll stick to my 64 oz for now, I'll try to up my intake once I get back into my exercise routine :)
  • Scindy97
    Options
    I've read/heard that it should be 1/2 your body weight in oz. The rules seems to change daily but I do feel better when I drink a gallon a day which is 4 liters or 16.9 cups which seems more doable when you look at it in cups vs. gallons. :smiley:

I'm trying to challenge myself to drink more water and cut diet soda & coffee completely. Will see how that goes.

Good luck on all your goals in 2015
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Bree-Urine-color-chart.jpg
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    if your pee is clear you are drinking enough
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do about a gallon and a half to 2 gallons a day.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Always drink to pee color. An individual will have different needs.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    NoSMGAdded wrote: »
    This is going to depend on who you ask. Some say an ounce for every pound you weigh, an ounce for half of your bod weight, a gallon, til your pee is clear...what feels good? Listen to your body!

Good suggestion. At my weight a gallon a day seems to work and is some over an ounce for half of body weight. In my case if I lose two pounds the first trip to the bathroom I know I am doing OK but I drink a lot when I brush my teeth when going to bed.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what c wolfman posted. If you keep an eye on the colour, then that should be enough. When I exercise then I tend to hydrate before and during to replace lost fluids.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The general rule is half your body weight in water. A bit more if you're very active. The pee test is also recommended.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I can't go by pee color because I take a multivitamin, so I drink two large bottles in the morning, have a 16oz bottle of water during and after exercise and drink when I am thirsty and with meals the rest of the day. I don't think I drink as much on rest days or on days when I did strength training.
  • mittysmom
    mittysmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hardly drink water, only what's in my coffee and when I take a pill and my urine is always clear or healthy yellow!! My doctor said that consuming a lot of water per day was Weight Watchers claim to fame, it just helps you feel full that's all.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    hell, when I drink 64oz, I have to pee every half hour
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You have survived into adulthood so you are probably drinking enough.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Due to this revelation, I'm now concerned that I'm not drinking enough water. I've been aiming for 64 oz. a day, but I'm afraid that isn't enough.

It's more than enough.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This is really helpful. I drink about 8 glasses of water a day and my pee is in the ok range. ;-) Also, I understand that additional fluids that are in the foods we eat and coffee and stuff also count as fluid, but I add that on top of the water.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This doesn't apply to the very concentrated morning urine, which is usually dark compared to later gifts to the toilet.