Photos vs. Mirror

Options
Why do I always appear (in my own view, at least) so much heavier in photos than I do when I look at myself in the mirror? There is a big disparity...

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing about pictures and mirrors but do not know what it is.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    You know, I felt that way before losing these 25 lbs....now I actually feel like I look "normal" in photos, the same as in the mirror, and I don't mind having my picture taken. I don't feel I look "slim" yet, but I don't look "fat" either. It's weird how that has changed.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the flag! *smh*
    Dumb.
  • sarahmendesrj
    Options
    I feel it too, that's why I don't like to take pictures
  • SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I swear at my gym they have some of those fun house mirrors. Becuase the one moment you looking big and then skinny again..
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I look in the mirror and think I look much bigger then I am. I like most pictures much more then my reflection.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I think I look thinner in pictures than I do when I see myself in a mirror. In the mirror I see my 260lb self I guess.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I think I look thinner in pictures than I do when I see myself in a mirror. In the mirror I see my 260lb self I guess.

Yeah same here, as I lost weight it changed to looking heavier in the mirror than on pictures.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Pictures aren't typically mirrored, so they throw me off because everything is reversed and on the wrong side. All my flaws are more jarring because everything is switched up and not where I'm used to seeing them, e.g. my heavier side is on my thinner side in pictures, my right droopy-ish eye is now on the left, my hair part is on the wrong side, and so on.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Same here. I am always surprised at myself in photos! I don't see the weight loss in pictures nearly as much as I do looking in a mirror.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I think when you're standing in a mirror you have more control over what you see - how you stand, hold your head, angle your body, etc. You probably naturally position yourself, suck it in, whatever you see as flaws you move so they are minimized - photos, especially taken by others are often taken at an unflattering angle, without warning, or from our "bad side" That's my theory anyway......
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jrline wrote: »

Yeah same here, as I lost weight it changed to looking heavier in the mirror than on pictures.

^^ yep. i feel like i look heavier in the mirror than in pics.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    We move in the mirror :) That's the difference.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Same here- I see a normal weight person in the mirror and then in a photo I think- who is that?