Was it worth it?

Options
Do you find yourself happier after the weight loss? What do you do instead of eating unhealthy (my life is pretty much food TV and my kids) ... Never really known anything different ...
What do you plan on doing to keep yourself at the weight you like?
Anything else you can mention that most people would not figure when trying to lose weight and what happens after you are done losing it please tell me
Thanks peeps

Replies

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think the key is to finding a happy balance. Finding a non-weight related goal is great for helping maintain a healthy and focused attitude about diet and exercize. As in - if you like running, set a goal to run a race, then determine how frequently you need to run to get there, and what types of foods best fuel your runs. Or, if you like to lift weights, do some research and set reasonable strength goals, then tweak your macros to fit. Then instead of telling yourself "I can't eat this because I want to be skinny" (which is an easy thing to talk yourself out of) you can say "I should eat ____ instead because it will help me run farther/lift heavier/feel more energetic."

So yes, I do feel happier now because I have more energy to do the things I enjoy, and for the first time in my life I feel confident about how I look because I know I'm at a healthy weight (I've been anywhere from 95 - 140 lbs - skinny doesn't always mean happy - but healthy does!)

As for what do you do instead of eating unhealthy foods and watching tv? We've found workarounds to involve the kids and make being healthy a lifestyle thing. We go outside to play tag, take a hike or climb a tree. I bought a couple of fresh-food cookbooks and gave one to each child - they are SO excited to plan their own meals from those cookbooks and help me cook them (my oldest is 7 so little kids can do that, too). See if you can get them involved and get them excited about being as healthy as they can be along with you :)

(edit because pushed enter too soon)
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Well I am still a work in progress, but yes I'm happier having lost 24 pounds so far. I can fit into more clothes and am starting to like what I see in the mirror. I get out and walk a lot more and when the weather is nice I ride my recumbent trike- that has become my new hobby. As far as what I do instead- well I do enjoy food and TV, but that's not ALL I enjoy- like I said I get out, ride when the weather is nice, walk inside when it's not. I also like to read, sew, crochet, go shopping, listen to music, etc. Find some hobbies that you love, get outside and play with your kids, find an exercise that you really enjoy so that you will stick with it after the pounds come off.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes I'm happier. Not because I'm wearing smaller clothes, but because I can do so much more now. I can keep up with my kids, I can chase my dogs, I can train for a half marathon, I love yardwork and hiking, swimming, running, just MOVING. I still sit down and drink a beer and watch TV sometimes, but more often than not I'm out DOING things with my family.

Good luck, honey.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    lost 40 lbs, 15 to go, everything is better from sleep WAY better, cut out almost all meds, more energy, fitting into high school clothes (yep I'm 53 and I kept em sad but true) way more energy for my 6 year old (yep I'm 53 and got a 6 year old (pictured)), stronger than when i was 18 and in my humble opinion far better lookin too :)
    so...YES WORTH IT!!!
  • maceyanglin
    maceyanglin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks yall!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    nope, not happier. not particularly a happy person. weight loss isn't going to make you a happy person if you aren't innately one.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i would say i am happier about certain things, I am much happier when I am clothes shopping. Planes still make me mental, but there's one less thing to make me nuts, being in crowds also are terrible, but its one less thing to be unhappy about. But oddly enough, I find myself chaffed by other things now, not being able to run when I am not feeling well or don't have time, not being able to work out, not having my healthier foods around because i didn't have time to shop. seems like a trade off. guess I will find something wrong with any situation. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!