No Carb Detox...thoughts

Options
Hanna82
Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
I'm stuck. I've plateaued 3 pounds from my goal weight. I've tried a number of ways to jump start my body back into weight loss. I work out 6 days a week, varying my exercise regiment. I eat healthy foods. Plan my meals. Stay within my calorie goal.

So...I know people who have done detoxes, fasting, etc, etc, etc. But I don't know how I feel about that. So, instead, I'm going to do a week of trying to stay under 50 carbs a day.

Will this work? Give me feedback.

Replies

• Steph_Marie29
    Options
    Yes it will. I've cut my carbs down quite a bit
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hopin' soooo.... b/c that's what I'm doing.

Lost 19lbs thus far and have been kinda goin' on the south beach diet. I jump started my diet with SBD phase 1 and have, gotten great results. Only did the "low carb" for 2 weeks but, it got my blood sugar under control. I'm still exercising my butt off but noticed I have a plateau and noticed crazy craving so, this is day 2 of staying under 50 carbs.

Feel free to add me for motivation =)
  • lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    I've lost 59 pounds by eliminating refined sugar and flour from my diet, aspartame, and processed foods. Getting rid of that stuff will kick start you back into losing....it's terrible for you anyway. Try taking an epsom salt bath to pull toxins from your body. It works and it's drug free.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on carbs is fine. Just make sure you are cutting out the bad carbs such as pasta, white bread and sugar. Eat a well balanced diet and drink plenty. Also fiber is a good way to balance your carbs. Good luck to you on those last pounds!
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Didn't know about the epsom salt bath - that's awesome! I'm going to go have one RIGHT NOW! :D Thanks for the info!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've been trying to loose those 3 lbs? Have you bulked up? Even though you are exercising, is the rest of your day full of activities like before, or has your lifestyle changed?
    Low carbs may help, it won't hurt. Also, 6 small meals a day may keep your metabolism up (keeping withing your calories ofcourse.)
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is a really fast way to lose weight. But you have to be careful. Once you start to eat them again it can make you gain weight again if you don't bring them back into your diet the right way. I did it and lost over 20lbs with it. I used the Adkins site to help me learn how to do it the right way. Good luck with reaching your goal :)
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    I carb/calorie cycle throughout the week. I feel the variety prevents my body from adapting. Low carbs (only source would be from fruits and vegetables) on cardio days, burns body fat for energy. High carbs (add whole grains to meals and snacks) on resistance training days, also gives more energy for better lifting^^

I'm not sure if a no carb diet for an entire week would be healthy for you.
  • Hanna82
    Options
    How long has it been since you've been trying to loose those 3 lbs? Have you bulked up? Even though you are exercising, is the rest of your day full of activities like before, or has your lifestyle changed?
    Low carbs may help, it won't hurt. Also, 6 small meals a day may keep your metabolism up (keeping withing your calories ofcourse.)

I have been stuck since 4/09. So...Almost a month. I stopped doing strength training or anything I thought would hinder my weight loss. When it had no affect I started strength training again. My lifestyle is exactly the same. Nothing at all has changed. It's just frustrating. Thanks for your advice. Hopefully I can kick it.
  • Hanna82
    Options
    Cutting carbs is a really fast way to lose weight. But you have to be careful. Once you start to eat them again it can make you gain weight again if you don't bring them back into your diet the right way. I did it and lost over 20lbs with it. I used the Adkins site to help me learn how to do it the right way. Good luck with reaching your goal :)

I never thought about that. That's why I was against detoxes and fasting. That's killer on your body and then only causes you to gain weight back in the same unhealthy way you lost it. Thanks for bringing that to light.
  • Hanna82
    Options
    I carb/calorie cycle throughout the week. I feel the variety prevents my body from adapting. Low carbs (only source would be from fruits and vegetables) on cardio days, burns body fat for energy. High carbs (add whole grains to meals and snacks) on resistance training days, also gives more energy for better lifting^^

I'm not sure if a no carb diet for an entire week would be healthy for you.

I think this is the best advice yet. I will start using this cycling idea you have. Thanks!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I stay under 50 carbs most days. I've been on Atkins induction-like phase for months, no issues, no problems. I will sometimes have a cheat meal on a weekend, or I will give in a little for a special occasion.

I've done this on and off for years, had cholesterol checked, and I can run around, run up stairs, lift weights, everything. No "energy loss" no "hair loss", none of that stuff people say will happen when you do the "boogeyman Atkins diet". I've done a slightly different type of low carb diet, the Blood Type for blood type O (VERY similar to Paleo) but I still didn't even eat rice even though it was allowed. Both these diets help me very much, I get in shape, I lose fat, I have plenty of energy in the gym, more than most. I have to remind myself not to work out too long or it's counter productive.

As far as saying that it won't be safe if you do it for a week- If you read the Atkins book, he explains it all. Second, it's meant to be done for at least 2 weeks. Third, most people take 2 to 3 days to get into ketosis, so carb cycling after a couple days wouldn't work for everyone.