What 10 weight-loss studies of 2014 found

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    All I saw when I clicked the link was a "comments" page.
  • camper2022
    camper2022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Me too, there is nothing to read!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well that was a waste of a click...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »

That fixed it. Thanks

It boggles the mind how many diets just keep coming and the success rate does not seem to improve. Well it New Years soon.

• SteveEighty
    SteveEighty Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »

That fixed it. Thanks

It boggles the mind how many diets just keep coming and the success rate does not seem to improve. Well it New Years soon.

The success rate is low (only 13% at WW) because none of these diets really seeks to educate and make people understand the basics, their relation with food, the pitfalls and so on. The crucial post weight-loss period is not treated seriously as part of the "diet" or whatever you want to call it (sadly, this vital period is bypassed purely for commercial reasons, so that people will return to them).

It explains why I failed at my first big weight-loss attempt, in 2006. I managed to lose 55 lbs but gained it all back within 18 months as I only had a vague Maintenance Plan in place. By contrast, in the first part of 2014, I lost 83 lbs and, thanks to a good MP, I've kept it all off (not easy by any means but I've managed and I would not consider myself as someone who has tons of willpower, quite the opposite, I'm partial to a good hearty meal and a good bottle of wine. That said, I'm very disciplined, I now like exercise - after shunning it for two decades - and that is the key).

The trouble with these diets is that they do not concern themselves with MP's, on the contrary: they hope you'll go back to your old dreadful habits so you can sign on their plans again and again. They heavily rely on repeat business, and do extremely well out of it.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I thought the article was good.

I don't think most diets ignore maintenance plans. I think most diet creators would really love to have even a slightly higher success rate than the rest. I think most dietERS don't want to restrict themselves for the long term. Dieting gets old. Most of us used to not have to restrict. It's normal to want that back. And our bodies are hard wired for survival and that means fat storage.

It takes more than a plan, it takes serious dedication that never dries up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I thought it was a good, general article. All those people with their new holiday pounds to lose get a little weight loss info. :)

I did kind of do a reader-double-take when I saw the higher incidence of pulmonary embolism after bypass tossed in as kind of an aside, but the article wasn't about the dangers of surgery.