Iron Help!!

Options
Hey Everyone! ... So i was going to give blood yesterday and they turned me away due to low iron! this has happened to me the last three times i have went to give blood. Is there any types of foods or recipes to suggest that are high in iron ... that doesn't contain Raisins! I would rather have iron in foods without taking iron pills! Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks!! :)

Replies

• mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    steak and spinach high on iron. Spinach you can sneek into everything.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have had to deal with this same problem and am actually tracking my iron on my diary!

Quinoa also has a pretty good amount of iron. Fortified breakfast cereals, too. And of course, broccoli! :)
  • stephijim
    stephijim Posts: 33
    Options
    Cereal :) I've been eating Multi Grain Cheerios and they're high in tons of vitamins and minerals and it's REALLY good! :) I like it better than Honey Nut.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Whenever you eat a food high in iron, be sure and also have a food high in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron better. Also, soft drinks will leech the iron from your body so try to stay away from those!
  • xiadu02
    xiadu02 Posts: 9
    Options
    Eat more dark leafy green vegetables. That always helps me when I am low.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Lentils.

Keep in mind some people cannot get enough iron from food alone. I had been getting around 200% or more of my recommended everyday between food and my multi. Still, after two checks the doctor has me on one of the highest OTC iron pills you can get because I was still that low. Now I run 500% or more on iron usually and we're waiting another 2 weeks to see if that was enough.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Whenever you eat a food high in iron, be sure and also have a food high in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron better. Also, soft drinks will leech the iron from your body so try to stay away from those!

I agree.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Grape nuts cereal by Post! They have an interesting taste at first, but they have 90% iron according to the box!
    http://www.postcereals.com/cereals/grape-nuts/#nutrition