Going to the gym or work out dvds?

Options
I have a gym membership and I go 4 to 5 times a week .However I recently downloded work out dvds since I don't I go to the gym as often in winter.

I still try to go whenever I can but I now use work out dvds when I don't go I find them fun.I now find going on a treamill boring .

So do you prefer going to the gym or use work out dvds?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go to the gym, no matter what the weather. I do have some dvds, usually practice the classes I teach at home and am taking an online dance course.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Cost-wise? Workout DVDs. Convenience-wise? DVDs. Not-having-to-make-up-your-own-plan? DVDs. Definitely more entertaining than the treadmill!!! But then again so is running outside.

Whatever you'll stick with and enjoy doing.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to go to the gym only because I slack off very easy if I'm trying to work out at home.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I love running outside in summer time but now its not option in winter time. I do however find using work out dvds more convenient especially when we get snow storm and can't be bothered to drive. I am still going to keep my gym membership card to keep me motivated
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I prefer workout dvds. It's convenient! You don't have to worry about driving to the gym or getting all dressed up in matching workout clothes, LOL (joke) and you can workout as late or early as you'd like. I have an 11-month-old so I usually exercise when he's asleep. Not only do I have dvds but my cable provider, Comcast On Demand provides free workouts in a variety of categories. (cardio, belly dancing, yoga, kick boxing, etc). Love it!
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I like fitness classes in person and use of stationary bike but my workout dvd collection is humungous, so at home fitness ftw.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I did the gym for 7 months and it was great but unstructured. Now I'm doing P90 at home instead 6 times a week and it's making me use a lot of muscles I never touched before.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Workout DVDs mostly with two or three outdoors run/walks in between. The gym is ok but costly and can be a bit boring. Plus indoors DVD workouts mean you have no excuse not to do them.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I prefer going to the gym however I do both. I prefer going to gym because being a wife/mom its kind of my time with no interruptions and just me and my music. However if I find I am not going to make it cause of weather, etc I do dvd, bike or something at home. I try to mix up so I wont get bored.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    I prefer the gym because the environment keeps me more motivated.
  • Hionlife50
    Hionlife50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have never went to the gym. I do all my exercise at home with my stationary bike, yard outside and push ups at the kitchen counter. I just turn Pandora on the 80's station and go to town. I have lost 68.4 pounds in 10 months. I think what I am doing is working. :-)
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I like doing both.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Gym.

I worry about disturbing the downstairs neighbors and have limited space as I need to reorganize apartment though I do own some DVDs. Plus, I don't have weights at home. I just use an iPod with fun playlists to get through cardio sessions and rest of time I focus on lifting.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Workout DVDs are mostly good for fat burning, core strengthening, and various body weight exercises. There are exceptions, but that's a pretty good overview.

If you're going to do any serious weight training -- and I highly recommend that you do -- workout DVDs are seldom helpful. After all, it would be awfully boring to have a DVD instructor step you through three sets of bicep curls, three sets of overhead dumbbell presses, etc.

Also, group classes can provide a better, more effective workout. In part, this is because your gym probably has a wider selection of equipment than you do at home. In part, it's also because the energy within a class can be contagious, and it can compel you to work harder than you otherwise would. (Of course, if your class is filled with slackers or people who can't work out hard, then that's another matter.)

BTW, I do have my own selection of workout DVDs, so I'm by no means against that. It's hard to find DVDs that are suitable for men like me, but there are a few.