Garmin Vivofit-can someone help a newbie

Options
ekarl
ekarl Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in Getting Started
Can some please help me get my garmin vivid it and mfp talking to each other properly.

I got my Gv for Christmas and thought I had them linked but the calories that appear on my GV aren't the same as they are on mfp, and mfp aren't logging my steps,

The garmin isn't an option on the mfp steps counter to connect a device and I am happy to use the garmin for exercise but mfp for food but not sure what I am supposed to be reading

Mfp says I can have 1530 calories, but garmin says my goal is 1550 and then says that I have remaining 1722 and have use 0% of my 1550??

Can someone please help this noob understand!

TIA

Replies

• Lola3009
    Lola3009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also got the vivofit for Christmas and have searched the net for an answer to this. No one seems to have one, sorry. I did figure out (I think) that MFP doesn't 'talk' to Vivofit with regards to the steps you've taken. It's only the calorie intake that the two compare notes on. Unfortunately there's an issue with synching the two via the apps. Once you've logged in to Garmin connect on your PC and clicked 'synch now' the MFP calories will appear there. And the total calories you should consume per day will also match.

So far that's the only way I've found that works, there are tips out there telling you to log in and out or reinstall apps but that does exactly nothing. Let's hope Garmin or MFP come with an update to fix this!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I second the manual sync.

Also, the two sites haven't been working right since Dec 17 (11:39 PM CST). Garmin sends over my logged exercise, but I should also see an adjustment when my daily activity burn surpasses MFP's prediction and I'm not. I did email MFP about it on the 18th or 19th and they said they were working on it.
  • acnoyes
    acnoyes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Same here...hoping that they get it right soon. It was working fine up until early December for me, then...pfft!
  • jcs0530
    jcs0530 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    MFP has been having sync issues with Garmin for months. Its extremely frustrating. Not sure if anyone is working on the problem.
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    To make the Vivofit and MFP work somewhat more accurately, you need the Heart Rate Monitor. Right before beginning a workout, sync the Vivofit to the Garmin Connect Page. Then sync the Heart Rate Monitor and begin your workout. Your workout has to be a minimum of 20 minutes for the Vivofit to record the activity. Once you are done with your workout, stop the Heart Rate Monitor, and Sync again. This will record an activity on your Garmin Connect page, and will update your MFP page under the Exercise tab.
    If you want to see my Vivofit page showing Activities, Steps, etc..send me a PM, and I will send you my name on Garmin Connect.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jabx1962 wrote: »
    To make the Vivofit and MFP work somewhat more accurately, you need the Heart Rate Monitor. Right before beginning a workout, sync the Vivofit to the Garmin Connect Page. Then sync the Heart Rate Monitor and begin your workout. Your workout has to be a minimum of 20 minutes for the Vivofit to record the activity. Once you are done with your workout, stop the Heart Rate Monitor, and Sync again. This will record an activity on your Garmin Connect page, and will update your MFP page under the Exercise tab.
    If you want to see my Vivofit page showing Activities, Steps, etc..send me a PM, and I will send you my name on Garmin Connect.

YOU'RE A GOD. THANK YOU . I'd like to see your results. I've got the same name here and vivofit
  • ekarl
    ekarl Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. Glad to know it isn't just me and that I'm not a completely incompetent. Have just manually synced and the calories have gone across so that is a start. As long as I can do it on one or the other than that is fine.
    jabx1962 wrote: »

One needs to do exercise before one has a purpose of needing a heart rate monitor, but we are working on that!!!
  • gingerandspice
    gingerandspice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated. I got a Garmin vivofit for Christmas, which I am excited about, but now disappointed. I installed my Garmin info, but think I may have done it incorrectly. The app on mfp states "installed", shouldn't it say "Garmin connect". I also have an icon on my desktop screen that reads "Garmin Express." Are they 2 different apps, and maybe that's why they aren't syncing with mfp ?
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated. I got a Garmin vivofit for Christmas, which I am excited about, but now disappointed. I installed my Garmin info, but think I may have done it incorrectly. The app on mfp states "installed", shouldn't it say "Garmin connect". I also have an icon on my desktop screen that reads "Garmin Express." Are they 2 different apps, and maybe that's why they aren't syncing with mfp ?

I was ready to throw my Vivofit in the ditch more than once when I first bought mine. But, having other GARMIN products I had to remember they are not ready for use right out of the box. You have learn what the Vivofit will do, build your Garmin Connect page and use it as much as possible. I literally have not taken mine off in almost 7 months. There have been a few times when GARMIN was doing a software update, or had some other issues that I had to do manual inputs of Data.

Garmin Express is a program that links/syncs different Garmin products. This could be fitness bands, GPS, Altimeters, etc..

Garmin Connect is an app that is used to sync the Vivofit fitness band. It works well on on PC, and Droid phones.

Don't give up on yout Vivofit until you better understand what it will do. It becomes an invaluable tool once you do.