Which Fitbit is best for me?

Options
I am really wanting to get a fitbit but I'm not sure if the One, Flex or the soon to be released Charge is the right one for me. I thought maybe some of the more experienced users could help me decide!

I have a Monday-Friday desk job. I get some walking in around the office and always take the stairs to get in and out of it. I go to the gym at lunchtime and I play hockey, baseball, soccer and snowboard.

I used to wear a Polar HRM but I am loving the Fitbit because I don't have to wear a chest strap and it tracks all day long. But I'm concerned it won't give me an accurate reading when doing some of my sports.

So which Fitbit do you think would be best for me? Should I wait for the new Charge to come out? OR would you recommend something completely different?

TIA!

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    None of the trackers or HRM are really designed for giving an accurate burn during those sorts of sports... soccer maybe a bit since there is a bit of running but still not very accurate. I will say that I like my One because it is not wrist based, so no matter what I am wearing I don't have to worry about it standing out. It tracks very accurately; I have checked in several times by manually counting steps and against the distance on my HRM. On the other hand I just retired my Polar HRM in favor of a newly released Garmin HRM that doubles as an activity tracker. It is is generally off on steps, ahead or behind. Standing still and putting my hair into a ponytail may credit me 5-10 steps, for example. So, for people who are using their hands a lot but not necessarily moving about, a wrist based tracker might get thrown off a bit. However, you may be able to get around it by logging your activity (i.e. typing, so it knows not to count steps an to credit you a proper calorie burn for that amount of time). For me, that would be tedious though.

Now, some of the new trackers do have integrated HR monitors. They are wrist based, so that brings about the negatives that I have already mentioned. The ability to see trends and changes in HR throughout the day is interesting, but I know I have read somewhere that they don't necessarily track HR constantly...more like every few seconds I think. No big deal really but you aren't going to get the accuracy and consistency of a chest strap and whether or not it will result in a more accurate calorie burn estimation is to be seen.

So far, using the data I get from my fitbit along with MFP my loss has pretty much exactly equaled what is to be expected (within about 1/10 of a pound) using a spreadsheet that I use. That tells me that the Fitbit is giving me realistic numbers (when paired with my HRM for running and cycling activities and a food scale for measuring my food).

Out of all the new trackers coming out, the Jawbone Up3 looks the most appealing to me. For one, it is designed to be slim and unobtrusive. It has multiple integrated sensors that could result in some interesting and possibly useful data, and it seems like it has some other good motivational features such as the inactivity alert, which I wish my One had.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would get a $50 Fitbit Zip (or the Misfit cheap model) and see if you like them. A lot of people lose or break them and will need replacements eventually. If you like it you can upgrade later on. Though I still have my 2009 model Fitbit Classic and it still works. But I've tried most of the other models since. I personally don't love a plastic bracelet so I like the clip-ons, but all have unique advantages.

But the main advantage IMO is just 'what you monitor you improve', so the bells/whistles/accuracy are secondary.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    wbfd22 wrote: »
    But I'm concerned it won't give me an accurate reading when doing some of my sports.

By "accurate read" presumably you mean calorie expenditure approximation?

Given the sports you describe nothing will.

If you want a pedometer then just recognise the limitations, take it off when you're doing phys.

They seem to be a bit cultish though. Personally I don't see the point if you're already active.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I personally don't love a plastic bracelet so I like the clip-ons, but all have unique advantages.

But the main advantage IMO is just 'what you monitor you improve', so the bells/whistles/accuracy are secondary.

I only take my Flex off to charge. I just know I'd put a clippy one in the wash! It's a matter of personal preference.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. And they're really motivating. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • nocampo1223
    Options
    The charge is amazing. I love it. I had the flex and lived that but wanted to up grade and have a watch and the caller ID is cool but wasn't a deal breaker. I like the charge because I have all my info right there on my wrist unlike the flex where I had to look on my phone through the app. I find my self pushing to meet my goal more because the information is right there. The charge is worth it for anyone new coming in. Would have liked the hr but it is not out yet.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think the HR is out now. :)
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just checked, not available yet.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Just checked, not available yet.
    Various retailers have it. Kohls, REI and Best Buy have sold some, but I'm not sure who still has it in stock. I've had one for about a week.